Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greeneg Quote
you are going to want to be able to shoot indoors in buildings such as Cathedrals where flash is not permitted
And in more and more places the new trend is "tripod and monopod also not permitted" - due to the dumb idea of "tripod/monopod = commercial photographer/photography". Oh, and the icing on the cake is when they tell you this "no monopod" nonsense after you have paid the "photo ticket" (on top of your normal entrance ticket). Be sure to check this in advance before you lug a tripod/monopod needlessly.

11-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Guess I'll chime in too

Some thoughts:

*On the thought of getting the LX3...if you are worried about zoom range, this would be a bad choice as the LX3 lens is basically equivalent to a 16-40mm lens on your K200D...with no option to ever get longer

*The lens you have is fine, especially considering where you are in your photography progression (note: if you aren't interested in growing more as a photog beyond nice travel pics, then a superzoom P&S might be the way to go, otherwise...)

*I wouldn't worry so much about max zoom range as a big factor...again, you're early on as a photographer...for most at this point composition, focus and light are the major contributors to disappointing photos...work on nailing those before your trip

*I would also recommend taking the month before you leave and learning to shoot in Av mode. It's the quickest and easiest way to get control over the "look" of your photos

*I HIGHLY second/third/fourth the suggestion to pick up a Joby Gorillapod (and also a ballhead for the top of it)...I always take mine on city trips, even if I have my regular tripod too. It's not perfect, but with a bit of effort it is a very workable solution for sunrise/sunset, night lights, fountains at night (like Trevi)

*Finally, on lenses, I think there are several options that have been mentioned that fit in your budget and may take away your telephoto fears. I like to shoot with wide lenses, but they get pricey and won't necessarily be needed for the majority of your shots, so I'd skip ultrawide for now. Here are lenses I'd suggest (many already suggested):

Tamron 70-300
Pentax 55-300
Tamron 18-200 (quality may not be amazing, but it's relative here...on a DSLR sensor, it will still be far better on blown-up prints than a P&S)
Sigma 18-125 (not sure on price, but if you can find it used?)
Pentax 50-200

And finally, one that hasn't been mentioned but could work well:

Pentax M 135mm 3.5

Explanation: It's manual focus, which many don't like, but I took it with me to Italy last year as the longest lens in my bag (along with DAs 12-24/21/35/70) just in case I needed something with reach. I used it twice, worked great, didn't take up hardly any space, and it can be had for as low as $50.

Anyway, hope this didn't add to the confusion Have a great trip!
11-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #63
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great bit of advise from gnaztee!

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Guess I'll chime in too

Some thoughts:

*On the thought of getting the LX3...if you are worried about zoom range, this would be a bad choice as the LX3 lens is basically equivalent to a 16-40mm lens on your K200D...with no option to ever get longer

*The lens you have is fine, especially considering where you are in your photography progression (note: if you aren't interested in growing more as a photog beyond nice travel pics, then a superzoom P&S might be the way to go, otherwise...)

*I wouldn't worry so much about max zoom range as a big factor...again, you're early on as a photographer...for most at this point composition, focus and light are the major contributors to disappointing photos...work on nailing those before your trip

*I would also recommend taking the month before you leave and learning to shoot in Av mode. It's the quickest and easiest way to get control over the "look" of your photos

*I HIGHLY second/third/fourth the suggestion to pick up a Joby Gorillapod (and also a ballhead for the top of it)...I always take mine on city trips, even if I have my regular tripod too. It's not perfect, but with a bit of effort it is a very workable solution for sunrise/sunset, night lights, fountains at night (like Trevi)

*Finally, on lenses, I think there are several options that have been mentioned that fit in your budget and may take away your telephoto fears. I like to shoot with wide lenses, but they get pricey and won't necessarily be needed for the majority of your shots, so I'd skip ultrawide for now. Here are lenses I'd suggest (many already suggested):

Tamron 70-300
Pentax 55-300
Tamron 18-200 (quality may not be amazing, but it's relative here...on a DSLR sensor, it will still be far better on blown-up prints than a P&S)
Sigma 18-125 (not sure on price, but if you can find it used?)
Pentax 50-200

And finally, one that hasn't been mentioned but could work well:

Pentax M 135mm 3.5

Explanation: It's manual focus, which many don't like, but I took it with me to Italy last year as the longest lens in my bag (along with DAs 12-24/21/35/70) just in case I needed something with reach. I used it twice, worked great, didn't take up hardly any space, and it can be had for as low as $50.

Anyway, hope this didn't add to the confusion Have a great trip!