Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kx+DAL 50-200mm. Any reason not to be happy?

I took this shot of my cat early evening, hand held, in very low light, using Av. ISO NR was set to low (NR start level set to ISO 1600). NO PP done on the shot, just resized to 800p and converted from RAW to JPEG in Picasa 3.
EXIF Information
File Size 205.93 Kb
File Date 2010-11-26 00:53 AM
Camera Make PENTAX
Camera Model PENTAX K-x
Date Taken 2010-11-25 06:48 PM
Resolution 800 x 533 pixels
Flash Used No
Focal Length 160.0mm (35mm equivalent: 240mm)
Exposure Time 0.067 s (1/15)
Aperture F/5.6
ISO Equiv. 3200
White Balance Auto
Metering Mode Center weight
Exposure Aperture priority (semi-auto)
Focus Range Close
Time Created 184830+0000
Byline JCP
(C)Notice Altopiet

Do anybody think I have reason not to be happy with my Kx and the DAL 50-200mm kit lens?

11-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks good to me!

Good photo subjects cats - very handy to have around when testing new photo gear!
11-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Not really: focus is right, colours are right, exposure is not bad - it's the image that needs working on.
11-26-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Looks good to me!

Good photo subjects cats - very handy to have around when testing new photo gear!
This one is a really lively one and do not sit still for long, it was more a snap shot than anything else, that is why I am so happy with the camera and lens, at 1/15, and with the light really low, I didn't think I would get the result I got.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Not really: focus is right, colours are right, exposure is not bad - it's the image that needs working on.
Just wait till I get to my better half's little dog!

11-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Got another cat one with the same lens ..i love this lens since i got it reallty cheap and its delivering good fotos...in a sunny day its a lovely lens.
(this is a stray cat that sometimes follows me in my neighboorhood strolls, he keeps his distance when walking but comes and sits on me when i' settle somewhere)
11-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
Got another cat one with the same lens ..i love this lens since i got it reallty cheap and its delivering good fotos...in a sunny day its a lovely lens.
(this is a stray cat that sometimes follows me in my neighboorhood strolls, he keeps his distance when walking but comes and sits on me when i' settle somewhere)
I agree, it is on my kx most of the time. I like your cat, mine is not the lap sitting type, but a good hunter. What I like about cats is that their pupils confirms the light at the time of the shot, and you can easily tell if any fill light was done in PP
11-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I'll bet the second shot of a cat, which looks a bit sharper, was not taken at ISO 3200. It looks like the camera has applied a good deal of NR to the image which softened it up just a little. You might be happier if you could process those kinds of images in RAW format with a bit more sharpening.
11-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll bet the reason for the more brilliant result of the second image is the better quality lighting, improving microcontrast, and the rest of the PP work is just adding final touches of magic to the image.

Lens counts for a lot in IQ, but don't discount the value of lighting.

11-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

True..mine was taken in a sunny day...
ISO 400
F 8
1/ 200 s
focal lengh 200 mm
..i gotta buy a bigger card and start shooting RAW...but then the program i run doesn't convince me..Maybe gotta learn how to use it well...anyone know a good program to convert RAW in linux?
I run Rawstudio but i dont feel quite comfortable with it yet...maybe someone knows another or resources to learn how to properly use this one...
11-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'll bet the reason for the more brilliant result of the second image is the better quality lighting, improving microcontrast, and the rest of the PP work is just adding final touches of magic to the image.

Lens counts for a lot in IQ, but don't discount the value of lighting.
After minimal PP in Picasa 3

The first one was just to show what the Kx can do in very low light, with the kit lens and no PP. Maybe because I was there and know how bad the light was, the first shot, and the result, has more meaning to me
11-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
True..mine was taken in a sunny day...
ISO 400
F 8
1/ 200 s
focal lengh 200 mm
..i gotta buy a bigger card and start shooting RAW...but then the program i run doesn't convince me..Maybe gotta learn how to use it well...anyone know a good program to convert RAW in linux?
I run Rawstudio but i dont feel quite comfortable with it yet...maybe someone knows another or resources to learn how to properly use this one...
Sorry, I am not an expert on PP. I see there is a section under forums Digital Processing, Software, and Printing - PentaxForums.com
dealing with it. I should also find some time check that out