Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New Camera - Something Wrong - Advice Needed Please !

I purchased the camera and 2 kit lens 18-55 & 55-300 from Amazon in October. Have been loving it and for my very beginner usage, has been taking some really great pictures.

Then, last weekend, got a new 16GB class 10 card and took lots of pics for my BIL's parents 50th wedding anniversary. They had family there from all over the country and wanted just one nice picture the could blow up and frame for the parents 50th. Got a few really nice shots and they looked fine on the LCD but when I went to download them they were all messed up. Looked kind of like the old negatives is the best way to describe it. I was furious, this was a big deal that there was 4 generations getting together from all over the country and they wanting pictures and my card had failed!! Took it to 2 different photo shops to see if they could make prints for me. They said they could tell there were pictures on there, but they couldn't get them. I thought I had spent all that money on a card and it was no good. So then put my old class 4 card in, took some new pictures and SAME THING!!! Went out and bought another card... once again, no good! OK, it hits me, maybe it's the CAMERA!!!

Now I don't know what to do. I have 2 international trips coming up next month that I REALLY wanted a good camera for. I thought I could return this one, and could just buy a new one, but it is one week past the window for returning the camera to Amazon. So I could send it off for service but I can't imagine how long it would take to get service? I did purchase it with my Amex Plat card which gives me the right to return it to "them" for up to $600 for up to 180 days. I would eat $120 since I paid $719 but would this be the best course of action? I simply MUST have a decent camera for my upcoming trips....

Any advice for a very frustrated person?

11-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what file format are you using? and what are you using to view the photos on the computer?

You may be getting an issue if shooting RAW with the channels being incorrectly assigned by the software

I have heard of this before, and have seen it when using my K7 and software that did not have K7 compatability.

If shooting RAW, get Adobe's DNG converter (it's a free download) and convert the files to DNG, and then look at them.
11-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OMG.... I can't BELIEVE it was that simple! My BIL's sister was playing with my camera and she must have switched it over to RAW, I remember her saying something about getting better pictures with RAW.

DAG-GONE if that isn't the problem. Just put it back on JPEG and the pictures are fine.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
11-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yea and hooray! Were you able to save the pics from the wedding anniversary?

NaCl(Enquiring minds want to know)H2O

11-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NCGirl Quote
OMG.... I can't BELIEVE it was that simple! My BIL's sister was playing with my camera and she must have switched it over to RAW, I remember her saying something about getting better pictures with RAW.

DAG-GONE if that isn't the problem. Just put it back on JPEG and the pictures are fine.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
Great :-) In case it didn't occur to you already the pictures you thought lost might be good too? You should be able to get them from the card with e.g. the Pentax software supplied with the camera or simply by using the in camera "RAW Development" available in Play-mode (press the down arrow to get to the relevant menu - I seem to recall you have the k-x?)
11-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hope this is a very happy ending!! Did you get the pictures from party? Hope you didn't delete and even if did there is software that can help get them back
11-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NCGirl Quote

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
I don't let anyone play with my cameras!

11-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
I don't let anyone play with my cameras!

yep, THAT won't happen again!

Yes, the card is safe and sound, I think, I didn't delete the pictures, but my dad took the card and was going to try and see what he could do. Hopefully he won't somehow manage to delete them by accident. He knows nothing more than I do, probably less, but I figured what the heck couldn't hurt to let him play with it.

Anyway, I am SO GLAD I thought to post here before sending it off for service, I feel pretty <insert stupid face> right now but would have felt <insert double stupid face> more so had I sent it in!! Or returned it to Amex and lost $120 on a perfectly good camera!

THANKS!!!
11-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
in the future, you should consider using RAW and setting the camera to take pictures in the RAW DNG format.. and then just use Lightroom for processing/play with your photos..
11-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
elg
Forum Member

RAW may be too time consuming for casual user.
Why DNG, btw.? PEF's are smaller. Allmost all applications that can read DNG, can read PEF as well.

Cheers,
elg
11-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aside from the #1 lesson learned, specifically NO ONE touches your camera, I am surprised that you can't open the images and have them look correct in the pentax photo utilities.

Do you have the software that came with the camera??

it should let you import the RAW images and save them as JPEGs.

as for the arguments about RAW giving you better pictures, that issue has been hotly debated here, and for someone who is willing to learn just a little about photography, as opposed to sitting behind a computer screen, you can learn to manage the JPEG settings to do what you want.
11-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elg Quote
RAW may be too time consuming for casual user.
Why DNG, btw.? PEF's are smaller. Allmost all applications that can read DNG, can read PEF as well.

Cheers,
elg
That's if you have the correct Camera RAW updates and your software is compatible with it. I'd have to shoot in DNG on my K-x until I upgrade my Adobe CS3 suite...

May as well stick with JPEG in your case NCGirl until you want to venture into more post-processing work on your images.
11-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
He knows nothing more than I do, probably less, but I figured what the heck couldn't hurt to let him play with it.
Uhhh - YES it CAN hurt.
He can delete the files or re-format the card.
Get the card back immediately and then use the Pentax supplied software to download the RAW picts to your computer.
Good luck with the special photos.