Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10d thinking of a K-5

My Friends,

Long time no see. I haven't posted in quite awhile. I love my Pentax K-10d. I've had nothing but great times with it. I only shoot in manual mode so I can control all aspects.

I was considering upgrading. Not necessarily replacing the 10d but checking out what the K-5 is all about. Could someone give me a quick run-down of the most definitive changes from the 10d to the K-5 ? I know the K-5 now has a CMOS type sensor at 16 mp.

Is it worth it? I sometimes use my 10d for Infrared photography and perhaps I can still keep it on hand .

Any help is appreciated.

David - Philadelphia PA

11-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ruemiser Quote
My Friends,

Long time no see. I haven't posted in quite awhile. I love my Pentax K-10d. I've had nothing but great times with it. I only shoot in manual mode so I can control all aspects.

I was considering upgrading. Not necessarily replacing the 10d but checking out what the K-5 is all about. Could someone give me a quick run-down of the most definitive changes from the 10d to the K-5 ? I know the K-5 now has a CMOS type sensor at 16 mp.

Is it worth it? I sometimes use my 10d for Infrared photography and perhaps I can still keep it on hand .

Any help is appreciated.

David - Philadelphia PA
Hi Dave, there are a myriad of improvements from the K10D to the K-5:
Much much much better low light capability. I owned the K10D and I was reluctant to shoot above ISO 800, from everything I've read and seen posted the K-5 is good up to ISO 6400 and "somewhat usable" at 12800. That is 3 stops better than the K10D.
Much better dynamic range, I was getting 8 stops or so with the K10D, I'm getting a bit better now with the K20D, the K-5 has tested out at a mind blowing 14 stops! That is as good as cameras costing 2X or 3X the price of the K-5.
Faster auto focus (tho if you shoot entire manual this might not be a biggie for you)
The K-5 has the ability to adjust microfocus and store those adjustments for 20 auto focus lenses
The K-5 meters much better with legacy K and M glass.
The K-5 has a much faster frame rate and a bigger buffer.
The K-5 is smaller and lighter than the K10D
The K-5 has a low light auto focus assist lamp.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more. If you are a strict manual shooter I think the main ones for you would be better low light performance, better dynamic range and better metering with legacy glass.

NaCl(all in all a much much better camera body)H2O
11-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would agree with NaClH2O.

I find the K10 has quite limited dynamic range compared to the K7 which I upgraded to, and also find the High ISO a little 'danting" on my K10.

Otherwise I too am happy with the K10 and still use it. In fact, when you look at my shooting habbits since I got my K7, I would say the K7 takes about 2/3 of all shots, the K10 about 1/4, and the remaining shots go to my *istD, which I still use.

You may, depending on lenses opt for a diagonal split image focusing screen in the K10, if you like manual "legacy" lenses.

The K7 or K5 is a good upgrade from the K10, but not a total replacement.
11-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
If you can get away with it, it's always better to wait. This stuff improves so fast. I would think that buying the K-5 next year, when it is priced like the K7 is now, would be a no-brainer.

11-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would agree with NaClH2O.

I find the K10 has quite limited dynamic range compared to the K7 which I upgraded to, and also find the High ISO a little 'danting" on my K10.

Otherwise I too am happy with the K10 and still use it. In fact, when you look at my shooting habbits since I got my K7, I would say the K7 takes about 2/3 of all shots, the K10 about 1/4, and the remaining shots go to my *istD, which I still use.

You may, depending on lenses opt for a diagonal split image focusing screen in the K10, if you like manual "legacy" lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
If you can get away with it, it's always better to wait. This stuff improves so fast. I would think that buying the K-5 next year, when it is priced like the K7 is now, would be a no-brainer.
Like Lowell Goudge, I have upgraded to K-7 from K10 and happy with upgrade although on paper does not seem like much... but still substantial in many respects (view finder, LCD, size and portability, dedicated iso button etc.). I would think K10 to K-5 upgrade would be a bigger upgrade than K-7. I too, am looking to K-5 for the much improved AF, high iso performance etc. I bought the K-7 this year at likely the lowest price point (July) before K-5 was announced. Of course, we all hope that the price K-5 next year would be priced like the current K-7 level, but it depends on whether there is a newer model to replace K-5, if not, the price could still hold until perhaps when K-3 comes out (2 years?). I think the next new camera from Pentax should be a EVIL-APS-C rather than a DSLR.
11-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As said above, it's a quantum leap forward but only you can judge if they're worth the financial investment into the K-5.

If you have the funds available, and you're just thinking about purchasing it for the features above - I'd say just do it.
11-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I too was looking at the k5 , but when all was said and done i just bit the bullet and picked up a k7 from a forum member. In a year or 2 I will reassess and if i need something the 7 doesn't provide i will consider a k-5 as they will be likely available around the price i paid today and i'll have 2 good bodies, until then i'll keep my k10 as a backup and get rid of a couple of older bodies (film and digital)

Last edited by eddie1960; 11-26-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
11-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

'Salty' in post #2 sums it up nicely. Add live view and video (which I don't use) to make the list complete.

I did the step from K10D to K5. I did not regret it a second.

There are a few things that might require getting used to
  • There is no Fn button; the fourway controller gives direct access to the functions; this is a bit of a mess if you use the focus point selection as that now needs to be 'activated' before being able to select a focus point
  • Position of green button; I don't use it often but I don't seem to be able to find it
  • Charging the battery takes ages

And yes, like others I kept the K10D (as dedicated M42 camera)
11-27-2010, 03:34 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all. Much to consider. Since I am newly divorced, I want to get myself back into the hobby as much as possible. Having the K-5 may jump start me even more and give me something to look forward too.

Any Chance the Body may reach 1200 ? Or do you think that is another year away?

Thanks

David
11-27-2010, 05:09 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

White balance has also improved a lot since the K10 - you can actually rely on auto white balance in nearly all situations. Files have gotten a lot bigger -- probably close to twice the size in some situations. The other thing that might be a pro or a con is a completely new body style. I personally like the K7/K5 body style better than that of the K10/K20, but there are a lot of people who complain about it being too small or the buttons not being exactly where they expect them to be. Build is actually a step up from the K10 (which already had a pretty tough construction).

As to price, I would think by spring of next year it would be into the 1100 to 1200 dollar range (unless that dollar really tanks).
11-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
Inactive Account

k10 user

apart from the killer sensor on board the k5, well lets face it, the k10 sucks in high iso ie above 400, has a shitty af which sucks even more in low light.
the k10 has to be handled well to do well, the k5 has less to worry about so you can concentrate more on the photograph at hand.
upgrade asap imo.
cheers big ears.
11-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
This was my upgrade as well, and I have to say it was extremely satisfying
11-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #13
Forum Member

K10 to K7 or K5?

I'm debating between K7 and K5. I can't see myself spending over $1500 for K5 right now. Couple of local Pentax dealers are clearing off K7 stocks and giving me a pretty good price $900 cdn.

The big question is that K5 is that much better than K7 ~$600? Argh... If I'm gonna get K7, I think it would be ideal time to get brand new at clearance price.

uhmmm....
11-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ndy4eva Quote
I'm debating between K7 and K5. I can't see myself spending over $1500 for K5 right now. Couple of local Pentax dealers are clearing off K7 stocks and giving me a pretty good price $900 cdn.

The big question is that K5 is that much better than K7 ~$600? Argh... If I'm gonna get K7, I think it would be ideal time to get brand new at clearance price.

uhmmm....
Better depends on what you shoot.
For me I needed the high ISO performance
I needed the 7 fps
I love the higher dynamic range
The choice of the K5 was easy for me since I had the cash

If the 3 reasons above aren't essential to your photography and the extra $ is hard to come by, then go for the K7. It will take a great photo in good light and is rugged enough to last you years.
11-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ndy4eva Quote

uhmmm....
same boat as you i opted to save and use a k7 for a couple of years though i bought used I saved enough for it to be worth it (after all is said and done i paid about $1100 less than a k5 new (avoided tax on the used private sale)