Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #1

No K5 in DC ?

I'm doing Thanksgiving in DC/MD and have gone off to find a K5 (according to Pentax the only net sales are from B & H and Adorama, and since I'm a NYer and would pay sales tax on those I figured I'd get an idea if there were any competitive brick and mortar stores down here). Is it really true that they don't exist within several hours of this area? I've gone into a few Ritz stores in MD and asked for one and they all looked at me like I was a Martian.

Anyone know of a store within an hour of Silver Spring that carries the K5?

11-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #2

Original Poster
And wow, is that dealer finder on the Pentax site worse than useless. No wonder Pentax can't make headway in the marketplace even thought they have a great product. They list the closest as two in NJ (225 miles away), and one is an electronics warehouse that doesn't carry it anyway. Sending you to a dealer that actually doesn't carry it and dealers who are not being worked on. The Ritz stores I visited really acted as if they couldn't have cared less about it, and they seem to be the only places left in the area to get cameras. One did have a Kx but they salesman knew nothing about it. What blown opportunity.
11-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You might try a Penn Camera store. I'm not sure if there is one in your visiting area, but I know there is one in DC, and a couple of them in VA. Sorry, don't know if they stock the K-5. Not much info, but hopefully it helps.

Edit: did a quick look and found these:

Laurel, MD
352 Domer Avenue
301-497-0001

Rockville, MD
12266-F Rockville Pike
301-231-7366

Pikesville, MD (near Baltimore?)
1809 Reistertown Road
410-486-9810

Last edited by cardinal43; 11-26-2010 at 01:06 PM.
11-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
You might try a Penn Camera store. I'm not sure if there is one in your visiting area, but I know there is one in DC, and a couple of them in VA. Sorry, don't know if they stock the K-5. Not much info, but hopefully it helps.

Edit: did a quick look and found these:

Laurel, MD
352 Domer Avenue
301-497-0001

Rockville, MD
12266-F Rockville Pike
301-231-7366

Pikesville, MD (near Baltimore?)
1809 Reistertown Road
410-486-9810
99% sure Penn Camera doesn't stock Pentax. In fact, last time I was there I literally overheard a conversation between one of the sales associates and and a customer who was asking what DSLR they should buy. He said "Canon and Nikon were the two major companies, but that there were a few others including Sony, Olympus and one that beings with a P....", he paused for a second, "Panasonic maybe?".

Ace Photo in Virginia is the only place I know about in the DC area that carries Pentax. I've never personally been there as it's about an hour from my house, but I've heard good things about them.

11-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
99% sure Penn Camera doesn't stock Pentax. In fact, last time I was there I literally overheard a conversation between one of the sales associates and and a customer who was asking what DSLR they should buy. He said "Canon and Nikon were the two major companies, but that there were a few others including Sony, Olympus and one that beings with a P....", he paused for a second, "Panasonic maybe?".

Ace Photo in Virginia is the only place I know about in the DC area that carries Pentax. I've never personally been there as it's about an hour from my house, but I've heard good things about them.

LOL! Yeah, Penn doesn't. I think the blame lays squarely with Pentax not pursuing the dealers and educating the salespeople and public. They're just off the radar.

I checked into Ace. Seems fine but they sell it for $1,600 and $1,750, which is more than it would cost to just walk into B & H when I get home, pay the sales tax and be able to walk it back in if it has the focus issue that a few folks here have reported about. I'll probably do that. (Amazon charges tax to NYers)
11-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Its $1409 for body only at buy.com plus $9 shipping, no tax.

pentax k-5: All Search Results - Buy.com
03-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #7

I've used AcePhoto near Dulles before. They let me try out a DA* 200 f/2.8 before I bought. First thing they said when they pulled it out of the box was, "Wow, I've never seen a f/2.8 200 so short'n small!"

http://acephoto.net/