Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

KR vs K7 manual focusing

I am ordering either a KR or K7 today and need some input concerning the ability to manual focus with these 2 bodies. I have some nice manual Pentax glass that I plan to use and do not have access to either the KR or K7. I had no problem with my old MX and Super Program view finders which I believe were pentaprism's. I tried the Nicon D5000 as was a Olympus E620 and found the view finder quite dark, the Canon XT2 was a bit better but neither compared to my old film cameras.
I would be disappointed if I was unable to use my old glass due to the view finder on the XR.

11-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You likely will want to use a focusing aid/screen in any event if manual focusing it your preference.
11-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use your old glass in either camera, but the K7 has a pentaprism finder (so do K10, K20 and the new K5) which makes it easier. Both cameras will give you focus confirmation lights - make sure you look at the green hexagon. The red square often comes on at the same time, but all it is actually telling you is that the camera is using that focus point, not that that focus point is in focus.

With the K7 focus screens are designed to be user interchangeable, so if you need it you can substitute a screen quite easily. Myself, I prefer not to lose the spot metering, so I put in a screen that has no focus aids, the LL-60 from the *ist series. The main reason I put it in was to increase exposure metering accuracy with my M lenses. I also prefer a screen with a grid on it, because it helps me keep things on the level. A secondary benefit with that particular screen is that the matte is grainy, as with the film cameras, and I find it much easier to focus with the increased grain.
11-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
So the K7 screen can be changed but not the KR. My MX and Super Program film cameras had the Matte with split screen that made it simple to focus. With that change the K7 would make me feel right at home with my M lenses. I hate that I can not handle either camera as where I live in Texas there are n Pentax shops. I did get my hands on a K100 and K10 once while traveling and I am hoping their new cousins feel as good.

11-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

I would agree strongly with the earlier post that the viewfinder of the K-7 is superb and superior in my opinion.

When I chose my camera, I regarded the viewfinder as a major asset of the K-7 and it is still one of the best finder in its class, across all brand.

I have a MF lens and I often use MF my Tamron SP 90mm. I am very happy with the K-7 MF for both lenses including in low-light conditions.

Hope that the comment will assist...

Last edited by hcc; 11-26-2010 at 01:57 PM.
11-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I use an older manual zoom on my K200D with the stock screen. As someone else said you still get the green hex shaped LED confirming focas in the viewfinder. I does't take too long to get used to. Here's an example.

11-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses

Nice image of the horse and rider, if it was a paint it could be of my daughter who specializes in paints. Obviously you did not need a different screen to get a great shot. Ah, decisions, decisions.... Both the KR and K7 have their advantages. I may have to flip a coin to decide. My wife is tired of me tying up the PC evaluating camera's.
11-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I would agree that even without a split screen, the K7 has a viewfinder that is usable for manual focusing. A lot does depend on how wide an aperture you plan to shoot at. If wider than f2.8, a split screen is pretty advisable.

11-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've put a spilt screen into my K7 - works a treat and I find it much easier to find focus during MF sessions (with MF lenses or macro for example). Cost was around US$50 for a Tawianese screen, I believe (Katzeyes are seemingly no better but cost around 4x that - and the tools they supply are not as good).
11-27-2010, 04:12 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you use MF a lot, I strongly recommend getting a split screen, and therefore you'd also have to go with the K-7.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

the screen in k-r can also be changed (I've done it). It has the same screen as k-x, k100d and k200d. You can get a split screen from the same sellers for k-r and k-7. Like others said the viewfinder is better on k-7 though
11-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I would agree strongly with the earlier post that the viewfinder of the K-7 is superb and superior in my opinion.

When I chose my camera, I regarded the viewfinder as a major asset of the K-7 and it is still one of the best finder in its class, across all brand.

I have a MF lens and I often use MF my Tamron SP 90mm. I am very happy with the K-7 MF for both lenses including in low-light conditions.

Hope that the comment will assist...
I'm in the same boat as hcc.
11-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
Forum Member

For manual focusing - I use MF more than AF - it is much better using a PentaPrism than a PentaMirror.

I have a K100D and K7 and the difference is much more than you would expect.

Before I got the K7 - I looked into screen changes and even laser eye surgery in an attempt to improve the K100D's MF capability.

I bought the K7 with a view to immediately change the screen but no need MF with the std K7 screen, and that pentaprism, is all I need

Cheerz MZ

Last edited by ManixZero; 11-27-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
11-30-2010, 01:26 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Amazon had a great price for the Kr with 18-55m and 55-300mm kit for $749 which overcame any reluctance I had. It will launch me into the dslr world and I can start saving for some better lenses while I refresh my photography skills. It is good to know I have a great resource from the forum as I learn how to use my new toy. Thanks again for all your help.