Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #1

K-x for boxing photography

Im looking into buying a camera for a multitude of purposes (roughly 500 budget). The K-x is top of my list but I am worried about its 4.7 frames per second for sports shooting.

Its only for personal use and I know I'm not going to get high end pictures with a low level dslr.

My other option is the bridge camera Fuji HS10 (10 fps).

I'd prefer to get the K-x over the HS10 but only if I can take decent (unblurred) pictures of a boxing match with it.

Cheers for any advice/info!

11-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

You will definitely get better pictures with higher image quality (IQ) using the K-x then a high-end P&S. In addition, the K-x is well-known for excellent High-ISO shooting. Go for the K-x.

I have the K-7 and I can tell you that 5 fps is excellent. For me, I would prefer definitely 5 fps with high IQ than 10 fps with average IQ.

Another major advantage of the K-x, and more generally of any dSLR, is that you can change the lens(es). And "good glass is worth every penny". You do not need to upgrade the camera if you have other needs. You just use a more suitable lens.

For example, for a boxing match, I would recommend to consider a larger aperture lens (ie low f). Such a fast prime lens may not be in your budget yet, but could be a nice addition in future.

Hope that the comment helps...
11-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks hcc, im getting alot of different opinions from people/sources regarding which is better for what I need.
DPreview has 'sports action' as a con.

Would be interested to hear what other people think, especially anyone who's used the K-x for sports shooting
11-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Off course you will read that the K-x is not for sport photography. I don't believe that anybody willing to get seriously into sport photography would choose a K-x. But, if you want to take some photos of sports and get good result, then the K-x is a perfectly capable camera to do so. when people talk about a sport camera, there are often referring to high end Canon and Nikon. Their autofocus system is faster and their ability to track is also better. But how much more do they cost, yeah, several thousands. I am sure that the K-x is the best camera you could ever get for 500$ for boxing photo. It has great low light capability, 5 fps (that is quite a lot of frame for such a low priced DSLR by the way), you can buy a lens dedicated for your need (can't do that with a bridge), and you get that for 500$. No brainer between the two camera you mentioned if you ask me!

Good luck with your purchase.

11-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The boxing photographers I know rarely shoot rapid bursts. And since the action does not cover a lot of ground AF speed is not really a problem. Boxing is actually one type of sports photography that would hardly suffer from using a fully old school manual setup.

On the other hand anything with a smaller sensor than APS-C is going to struggle with the terrible lighting you will need to deal with so I would stay away from anything P&S. Plan on shooting > ISO 2000 with brutal highlights to deal with.
11-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Inactive Account

5fps is more than enough
my camera can do 10, I only put it on 10 to impress people, most of the time it's on 3

you have to learn to anticipate the moment, don't just spray and pray

the kx would be a great camera for this, the pentax 75-150 f4 lens would suit you well I think
11-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whatamiat Quote
I'd prefer to get the K-x over the HS10 but only if I can take decent (unblurred) pictures of a boxing match with it.
Changes of getting blurred pictures with a bridge camera (like hs10) seem higher to me
as the much smaller sensor cannot deal with high ISO as well as the k-x and so you'd need longer shutter times to avoid noise. Whether the k-x will be sufficient without a fast (=large max. aperture) lens is another matter, but it would certainly seem like the better bet.

11-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Ananta Androscoggin

And add in fast SDHC cards to the shopping list, so that your buffer won't take a long time to empty.
11-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I dont see you getting better for $500
11-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks alot guys, im sold.
I don't know whether to start a new thread and ask but ill try here first:
I'm traveling to New York (Live in Ireland) next week for a week holiday. So its the perfect time to purchase the K-x.

Can anyone recommend a shop in the city for the best prices?
From research Adorama seems good. Would I get the same prices instore as I see in the online shop?
Looking at this kit to start off:
IPXKXBK1B Pentax K-x Digital SLR Black Camera /Lens Kit, with Black 18-55mm DA-L Lens. 8GB SD Memory Card, 4 AA Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) 2900 mAH Rechargeable Batteries with 4-Hour AA & AAA Quick Charger, 110/220 volt. Camera Bag, Digital Camera &

Anyone recommend a better option?

Cheers again.
11-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd skip the generic NiMH batteries in that kit in favor of Sanyo Eneloops: the consensus here seems to be that these work the best with the k-x. It seems that the Eneloops can deliver high currents with less voltage drop than the generic kind and therefore the camera gets plenty of shots out of them before considering them empty, whereas many (most?) generic ones are abysmal in this respect. The Eneloops aren't much more expensive than the generic kind either.
11-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

Thanks alot guys, im sold.
I don't know whether to start a new thread and ask but ill try here first:
I'm traveling to New York (Live in Ireland) next week for a week holiday. So its the perfect time to purchase the K-x.

Can anyone recommend a shop in the city for the best prices?
From research Adorama seems good. Would I get the same prices instore as I see in the online shop?
Looking at this kit to start off:
IPXKXBK1B Pentax K-x Digital SLR Black Camera /Lens Kit, with Black 18-55mm DA-L Lens. 8GB SD Memory Card, 4 AA Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) 2900 mAH Rechargeable Batteries with 4-Hour AA & AAA Quick Charger, 110/220 volt. Camera Bag, Digital Camera &

Anyone recommend a better option?

Cheers again.
Adorama and B&H are well-trusted shops with good prices. If you purchase online using the URL below Adam's signature, you will support the forum

I purchased a number of items from Adorama because I like their web interface, very easy to use. I am also very happy with the service.
11-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #13
1,000,000th Poster!

Two things that would compliment the K-x and make it that your pictures rival whatever system under several thousand dollars:

1- A fast lens. I'd say minimum F2.8.
If you're lucky enough to be close to the Ring, it be too much of a problem to use a fast fifty.
However if you're a bit further away from the action you might need more length.
I use an FA 100mm f2.8 macro for live shows and it works well, but it's a bit pricy if you're on a tight budget.
If you practice with manual focusing you could get away with $100 or less. As a previous poster said, the movement of the fighters should be too hard to follow on manual focus.

2- Topaz deNoise (or other programs to reduce noise from your high ISO pics)
This way you can boost the ISO to get the speed you need and still have a crisp image. I've seen ISO 6400 pics turn up surprisingly well on a K-x.
11-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Adorama and B&H are well-trusted shops with good prices. If you purchase online using the URL below Adam's signature, you will support the forum

I purchased a number of items from Adorama because I like their web interface, very easy to use. I am also very happy with the service.
Unfortunately I cannot buy online as I would be charged duty on the camera when it arrives in Ireland.
I plan on going in-store and purchasing then.
Do they have the same prices instore as online?
11-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I cannot buy online as I would be charged duty on the camera when it arrives in Ireland.
I plan on going in-store and purchasing then.
Do they have the same prices instore as online?
if they don't, ask. (hell, tell them to give you the same price), and they should. Some store refuse to do this (even though it's their store online), but most will let you do it, worst is that they place an order for store delivery and you come pick it up... just hit up the store...

the problem is you'll get hit with tax (depends on the state/amount)...