Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #1

Flash compensation issue on K200D

I have an issue with my K200D when using either integral or hotshoe flash where after dialling in negative flash compensation the camera will not revert back when dialling back to zero compensation, the photos remain under exposed due to lack of flash even though compensation value now reads 0.0. After approx 10 or more photos the camera fixes itself. Checked ALL other settings between photos and nothing has changed except the flash compensation figure.
Any one else experienced this problem or know of a fix.

Last edited by Snakey; 11-29-2010 at 11:48 AM.
01-21-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Snakey. This request must have been missed.
But your conditions in your shoots are not clear.
One of the biggest issues with shooting in P-TTL mode is a consistent apparent underexposure. Many flashes need an EV boost of +0.7 or +1.0 to expose more to the right of the histogram.
But that's with a P-TTL flash. Do you have one of these? What is your model number?
Then it's important to keep the camera's settings the same - (i.e not on green or P mode) and keep scene you're shooting consistent both with content and lighting to make a decent comparison.
01-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a K200D and have had inconsistent exposure with P-TTL flash with both the built-in flash and a Pentax AF 360 flash. Setting the 360 flash to auto and setting the camera to manual is better, but less than ideal. The 360 flash works better on a K-R.
01-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I battle with the K200D and the AF360FGZ quite a bit. Agree with ASH that PTTL isn't always accurate, and tends to err on the side of underexposure. I think a large part of this is related to subject distance, as it does very well in the 8-15 foot range but horrible with closeup shots.

Eventually I learned to shoot only in manual for all flash operation, onboard or AF360, and using flash compensation for adjustment after viewing the histogram on a test shot. I actually find that a lot easier, as I'm generally indoors and can decide how much to underexpose the room with the camera, and use flash EV to change the lighting of the subject. Now that I understand it better, my results have improved.