Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hot shoe cover replacement

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a question about the PENTAX hot shoe cover FK.

While I still have mine, I am concerned about the eventual need to replace it (because of loss or otherwise). I cannot find an exact replacement anywhere online (including the PENTAX webstore). Is is possible to order a replacement directly from PENTAX Imaging or a service center?

--DragonLord

11-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I commonly grab a few from eBay.
No sense trying to find the brand replacement, they look the same anyways.
11-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I commonly grab a few from eBay.
No sense trying to find the brand replacement, they look the same anyways.
Hot shoe covers do vary. The Nikon BS-1 hot shoe cover does not fit exactly and is not physically identical to the PENTAX hot shoe cover FK. I remember reading a thread on this: k-x: hotshoe cover = nikon?

Last edited by bwDraco; 11-26-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Minor fix
11-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have bought a spirit level hotshoe protector. Very easy when using a tripod

DealExtreme: $2.04 Resin Hot Shoe Bubble Spirit Level for DSLR/SLR Cameras

11-27-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Hot shoe covers do vary. The Nikon BS-1 hot shoe cover does not fit exactly and is not physically identical to the PENTAX hot shoe cover FK. I remember reading a thread on this: k-x: hotshoe cover = nikon?
Ah yes, that's true.
But what I meant was that most any Pentax fit one would do just fine.
And they are so cheap, that you can just pick-up a few and throw them in your pack of pouch type of thing.

I also used a few of the bubble level types(shown by Sakura), which can be pretty handy in a number of uses.
11-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
JohnBee mentioned eBay, which I'm not particularly fond of. I want to be able to purchase a compatible replacement from a retailer or from PENTAX itself.

In the event I lose mine, I will probably call PENTAX or go to B&H to find a compatible replacement. I understand that a hot shoe cover replacement need not be exact.

--DragonLord
11-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I lost mine at least a year ago. Partly because I use flash so often, and partly because I too had difficulity finding one, I've gone without it. I just clean the contacts occasionally. No problems so far.

11-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
easy fix

wat i do is chuck it out as soon as i get it that way there's no chance i can miss place it. problem solved!
the cover has no real function other than getting in the way when you wana attach a flash.

and the same goes for usb thumb drive covers---chuck em out!
11-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Raylon

Why do you even need one? I just ditched mine the first day I got it. Doesn't do much and is a pain when using hotshoe flash constantly.