Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K-7 still a viable choice in Shadow of K-5?

I wanted to get a Pentax K-5, but the deals are just too good for a new
K-7 right now. Is the K-7 worth the money and is the K-5 really leaps and bounds above the K-7 in every aspect? Any input would be deeply appreciated.

May God Bless!

Ed

11-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess it really depends on what you want/need. The K5 really improves on the K7 by putting a significantly better sensor in the same body. With that, you get a lot better dynamic range, better high iso, and better video.

If you primarily shoot at lower iso's, I could see being very satisfied with the K7. The body is to all intents and purposes exactly the same (except that you can assign the RAW button to another function on the K5).

For me personally, the K7 is adequate for now, but I am hopeful that I can save enough in the next year to purchase a K5. I don't feel restricted by the K7, except occasionally at in door events where I really would like to push my iso above 1600, but don't like the end result.
11-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess it really depends on what you want/need. The K5 really improves on the K7 by putting a significantly better sensor in the same body. With that, you get a lot better dynamic range, better high iso, and better video.

For me personally, the K7 is adequate for now, but I am hopeful that I can save enough in the next year to purchase a K5. I don't feel restricted by the K7, except occasionally at in door events where I really would like to push my iso above 1600, but don't like the end result.
+1 with Rondec
The K-7 is a superb camera with an excellent body, view finder, WR... All that were retained in the K-5 and it is a testament of the K-7 strengths.

The main strength of the K-5 (in my opinion) is the high ISO and possibly AF, but a few threads highlighted that the K-5 works best with newer (hence more expensive) lenses.

I found however that the K-7 can give excellent results in low light conditions using a fast prime lens. With minimum PP, it is possible to get very nice shots either with in-camera PP (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106600-k-7-high-iso-success.html) or using dedicated noise reduction software like Noiseware and NoiseNinja. I have used both techniques successfully, although I prefer the latter in dark conditions.

Presently the K-7 is a bargain (in my opinion) in view of all its controls, while the K-5 is still expansive (the 'new toy' effect).

Hope that the comment will help...

Last edited by hcc; 11-28-2010 at 06:36 PM.
11-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Or you could just supplement your K7 with a Kx.

11-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's the same great body with lower image quality, basically. You'll still love the feel, especially if you're upgrading from a k10/20.
11-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter

ed, there isn't such a thing as a perfect camera so you have to decide what is important to you and what isn't as well as how much money you're willing to spend for the features you want.

if high ISO performance, very fast and accurate auto-focus, or the new movie modes in the K-5 are critical then go with the K-5. otherwise, the K7 is an excellent camera with a long list of features (and good AF performance in my opinion).

this page has a comparison as well as details on the differences:
http://www.*************/previews/pentaxk5/

edit: haha, looks like dpreview links aren't allowed on this forum...
11-29-2010, 03:31 AM   #7

And especially at the reduced prices on K7 now - unless you really need the high ISO and more FPS, I'd save the money on the body or get some good glass - but make sure its WR to match the body, then you can face rain, dust or sand or mud with confidence.
11-29-2010, 04:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The K-7 is still as good today as when it was released a year and half ago. For the most part, its a superior body than what most people have the skills for anyway.

Jason

11-29-2010, 04:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ronin67 Quote
Is the K-7 worth the money and is the K-5 really leaps and bounds above the K-7 in every aspect?
As photographic machines (sans sensor) K-7 and K-5 are practically identical. The reviewers mention somewhat faster AF and quieter shutter release of K-5 over K-7, but these are relatively less significant details. However, in IQ department K-7 does not hold a candle to K-5. I've K-7 and K10D and I spend significantly more time post processing K-7's images than I did with K10D. You can extract good images from K-7, but you have to work, sometimes quite hard, for that. I wouldn't recommend getting K-7 at this time. You have other options beside K-5 - K-x and K-r, both being relatively inexpensive and if you can live with somewhat inferior viewfinder of K-x/K-r as compared to K-7/K-5, I'd suggest you take that route.
11-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
The K-7 is still as good today as when it was released a year and half ago. For the most part, its a superior body than what most people have the skills for anyway.

Oh so true!
11-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #11

I faced the same choice a couple of months ago (when the K-5 specs and price were known) and went with the K-7. I used the $700 price difference to buy a couple of good lenses, which I will continue to use when I buy a K-5 in two years or so when it costs a lot less than $1,599.

I tend to do a lot of available light and street style photography. The K-7 has worked well for this. And while image quality and low light performance could be better in some situations, those situations aren't terribly common in real life. Plus, knowing your equipment's strengths and weaknesses is part of what I like about photography.

To me this is ultimately a financial question. Can you afford a K-5 plus some good lenses? If you can, get it, it does have a better sensor. If not, the K-7 is a very solid alternative that will allow you to take great images at half the cost.
11-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #12

The K7 is a great camera for the money... love mine
11-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The K-7 is half the price (?) but way more than half the camera of the K-5.
12-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

i decided it was worth getting a K7 and waiting for the K5 to come down towards the end of it's life. Buy picking up a nice used one, I have saved enough to look at getting that medium format rangefinder i've been lusting after
12-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by petergottlieb Quote
To me this is ultimately a financial question. Can you afford a K-5 plus some good lenses? If you can, get it, it does have a better sensor. If not, the K-7 is a very solid alternative that will allow you to take great images at half the cost.
I agree entirely with this and I'm having the same personal debate as many here. As I have "only" a k100d Super now, I assume that I would see a significant performance improvement with either K7 or K5.