Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Forum Member

I am a Photography Lover

There is one thing I have failed to mentioned on the Forums about me, Not that I am ashamed at who I am, but a bit unsure as to what some of you may say, so here goes:
I am a Handicapped Person who uses a wheel chair to get around, caused by lack of Balance when I got some Lead Poisong in me about 20 Years ago, as the adverse affects caused me my lack of balance enough to use a Walker or wheelchair depending on where I was. At home around the house I use a Walker, when out and about I use a wheelchair to get around faster.

I don't want to bore anybody, BUT I LOVE my Photography Skills and I REFUSE to let them go to waiste because of lack of coordination in getting around. I came to Pentax Forums because of my interest in the K-5, a lightweight Advance Camera that has more features than other Cameras in it's Price Range. And I don't want a heavy camera like the Canon 7D, which I also have a liking for, BUT IT'S TOO HEAVY for me to carry around, and with my Technical needs, I MUST HAVE AN ADVANCED CAMERA, I have spent 20+ years Messing with more Cameras then I have space for here.

I will mention my 3 Favorite Cameras that have MOST ALL the features I need:
Nikon D7000 or Pentax K-5 or Canon 7D, and as I don't particularly like the partiall Magnesium Body on D7000 and not sure how much of Camera is ACTUALLY weather Sealed, I choose Pentax, it appears to be better made and better sealed as I like being outdoors more and going to Dirt track Racing every weekend during Summer. And I like the Sound of the 18-135 for the K-5 just for the Reason I don't want to change Lenses that much, especially at a Dirt Track where is dusty.

My only WORRY at the moment, hopefully Pentax is addressing the Problem, is the Flash Problem with K-5 mainly the Metz Flash which I kind of like, but hopefully the new Flash that Pentax announced with K-5 will fix these issues!
Being a Handicapped person, Do any of you think the K-5 would be good for me and the 18-135, because I do nothing but go to watch Dirt Track Racing every week during Summer, to watch anything from Sprint Cars (similar to World of Outlaws) to Regular Stock Car Racing, and some times do go watch World of Outlaws every now and then, MAN ARE THEM SUCKERS FAST, got to have a Fast Camera for them!

11-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I think it would be an awesome setup for you doing your love of racing. My only concern would be the lighting conditions. I'm assuming the races are at night, so I would be concerned that the lens you are looking at is not fast enough for those conditions.
11-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
what would you suggest then? please explain.
would the 16-50 be better, since it is f2.8?

Last edited by Pentax Lover; 11-28-2010 at 02:50 PM.
11-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you are into sprint cars, car racing etc forget about flash. Flash just isn't relevant to that kind of action photography.
A fast lens like the 50-135 f2.8 (or the equivalents from Tamron like the 70-200 f2.8 or Sigma's 50-150mm f2.8) would be a good first step.

But I'd look into doing something like shooting DNG RAW+ with the K-5/K-r/K-x paired with the Pentax 55-300 zoom and Adobe Lightroom 3.2+. Lightroom 3.2's awesome RAW conversion and noise reduction capabilities, combined with the high ISO capabilities of the K-5/K-r/K-x hardware, delivers an enormous range of options to the sports/action photographer even when shooting a slow lens like the 55-300.

Of course, if you have the cash, for motor sports the DA* 300 f4 would also be useful.

11-29-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If you are into sprint cars, car racing etc forget about flash. Flash just isn't relevant to that kind of action photography.
A fast lens like the 50-135 f2.8 (or the equivalents from Tamron like the 70-200 f2.8 or Sigma's 50-150mm f2.8) would be a good first step.

But I'd look into doing something like shooting DNG RAW+ with the K-5/K-r/K-x paired with the Pentax 55-300 zoom and Adobe Lightroom 3.2+. Lightroom 3.2's awesome RAW conversion and noise reduction capabilities, combined with the high ISO capabilities of the K-5/K-r/K-x hardware, delivers an enormous range of options to the sports/action photographer even when shooting a slow lens like the 55-300.

Of course, if you have the cash, for motor sports the DA* 300 f4 would also be useful.
thanks!
11-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Keep in mind that focal length will also depend on your location at the track.

For example, at Houston Raceway, if I am trackside at the starting line, I can use anything from 40mm - 200mm depending on what I am going for, along with my distance from the car. If I am stuck in the grand stands, then a minimum of 150mm is needed just to get close enough to the cars, and a decent shot will result from a proper panning technique since they will be in faster motion by then.

If I am sitting on a corner at MSR Houston, then I can get away with the 40 or something longer. If I get stuck in the open tower, then I have to have something longer than 100mm.
11-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Keep in mind that focal length will also depend on your location at the track.

For example, at Houston Raceway, if I am trackside at the starting line, I can use anything from 40mm - 200mm depending on what I am going for, along with my distance from the car. If I am stuck in the grand stands, then a minimum of 150mm is needed just to get close enough to the cars, and a decent shot will result from a proper panning technique since they will be in faster motion by then.

If I am sitting on a corner at MSR Houston, then I can get away with the 40 or something longer. If I get stuck in the open tower, then I have to have something longer than 100mm.
cool, thanks