Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2007, 07:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 165
K100D going crazy on me? or just a lack of user knowledge?

Hi,

A few weird things have been happening to my camera (it's just around 3 months old).

If i'm on Bulb mode, I can access the menu, but then it shuts off intermittenly while i'm scrolling through the various menus. (not sure if this is normal for the B setting?).

Photo count....if i snap a bunch of pics...let's say 10....the counter will go down 10, but then go back up a few pics to show that i snapped 7. is this normal?

I've tried fresh batteries, even reset to default factory settings and it still worked.

I did install the newer firmware and the bulb issue seems to be gone, but the photo count issue is there. I just snapped 20 photos with a 2 GB card which read 689 (it was blank). after the 20 shots, it read 673 (should be 669 if my math is correct).

Hope you don't think i'm being anal retentive b/c if this is normal, then fine, but I'm just trying to head off any future issues if this is not normal.

Cheers,
keebler

09-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 338
Maybe not germane to your Q, but I use a 4gb card in my K100D and the counter only goes to 999. and will not drop (I don't shoot in RAW). When I told PTX about it they said 'Yup, that's a fact.', and suggested maybe a later FW fix would happen, Ha!
09-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member
mattdm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,964
QuoteOriginally posted by Keebler Quote
Photo count....if i snap a bunch of pics...let's say 10....the counter will go down 10, but then go back up a few pics to show that i snapped 7. is this normal?
The actual size of an image on the card varies depending on how well it compresses. The counter uses an expected average, but if it happens that the ones you took compress better than that, the previous estimate will have been wrong. And, it makes sense for the count to be conservative, because the point is to help avoid running out of space.

So basically, totally normal.
09-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,812
QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
Maybe not germane to your Q, but I use a 4gb card in my K100D and the counter only goes to 999. and will not drop (I don't shoot in RAW). When I told PTX about it they said 'Yup, that's a fact.', and suggested maybe a later FW fix would happen, Ha!
Later firmware probably will not fix this -
unless of course the top LCD display is actually capable of displaying more than 3 digits (ie: max of 999).

A 4Gb SD card is able to store approx. 1,088 JPG images on the "Best" (3-star setting), or 2,240 on the "Better" (2-star setting) -
since both these estimates exceed 999 - the display can only show 999 on an empty card -
and will not drop until there are estimated less than 999 image-capacity left -

in the case of 3-star JPG - that's going to be approx 89 images later -
and for 2-star JPG after approx 1,241 images!!!

09-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 338
Thanks Vincent, I had performed the calcs on # of pix but ignorantly forgot the physical realities of the LCD screen - DUH!
09-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: dallas
Posts: 16
QuoteOriginally posted by Keebler Quote
Hi,



If i'm on Bulb mode, I can access the menu, but then it shuts off intermittenly while i'm scrolling through the various menus. (not sure if this is normal for the B setting?).

Cheers,
keebler
My camera use to to something similar. While in either the menu or FN function, the screen will just shuts off while I'm still scrolling through the various menus. It was very fustrating but I just leaned to live with it. However, a few months back, I dropped the camera and broke the lens, but the funniest thing is that this problem went away. I've posted this problem but you seem to be the only other person that have encountered it. I don't really have a viable solution to offer you other than send it in to Pentax. If you are adventurous, you might give your camera a hard slap.
09-25-2007, 11:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 165
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vanguy Quote
My camera use to to something similar. While in either the menu or FN function, the screen will just shuts off while I'm still scrolling through the various menus. It was very fustrating but I just leaned to live with it. However, a few months back, I dropped the camera and broke the lens, but the funniest thing is that this problem went away. I've posted this problem but you seem to be the only other person that have encountered it. I don't really have a viable solution to offer you other than send it in to Pentax. If you are adventurous, you might give your camera a hard slap.
lol nope.. i'm not that adventerous, plus..with the amount of cash i've spent on the camera, the accessories and the lenses (oh, and the extended waranty to 5 years), me thinks i'd be the one slapped by my wife if she caught me slapping the camera

i haven't seen it for a day or so...if it see it again, it's going in the shop.

thanks to everyone for your answers. completely appreciated.

Cheers,
Keebler
09-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: dallas
Posts: 16
I don't blame you for not wanting to smack you camera. But a funny story is that Sony camcorder had a common problem of not working with an error code which happened to me as well. I was ready to send it in and get charged $200 for a camcorder that was worth $200. I did a Google seach and there was a forum talking about the problem and a recommendation to just smack the camcorder hard a few times. Many people were posting that it actually worked. I had nothing to lose and tried it and guess what- it worked.

09-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member
stewart_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,864
In the old days before so much digital electronics, whacking your television, computer, or whatever, was common practice. And it did work, temporarily in some cases and permanently in others. Indeed, it can still work today if the fault is a loose solder connection or stuck mechanical device. And since there's nothing more satisfying than good whack to relieve anger, there's a certain therapeutic value to the practice.

My old Mac Plus computer years ago needed an occasional whack to keep it running. It had a short in the power supply board that simply could not be traced down. So, every so often, the screen would go dead and I gave it a good whack or two. Worked every time, for several years.

My stove today also requires a solid whack occasionally to overcome a short in one burner that goes out every so often (usually right in the middle of cooking, hence the immediate whack). The landlord insists there is nothing wrong (never stops working when the repair tech is here) and refuses to repair it until the fault can be verified (maybe the landlord is the one needing the good whack in this case). So, we now have the tech coming by every so often, with firm whacks to solve the problem in between.

stewart
09-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: England
Posts: 309
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
In the old days before so much digital electronics, whacking your television, computer, or whatever, was common practice. And it did work, temporarily in some cases and permanently in others. Indeed, it can still work today if the fault is a loose solder connection or stuck mechanical device. And since there's nothing more satisfying than good whack to relieve anger, there's a certain therapeutic value to the practice.
LOL, when I was doing my final year at university I shared a house with three guys a year younger than me. The TV was second hand and cheap and often would not work. As the only one in the house with any electrical knowledge (I was reading physics) it was left to me to keep the TV going. When I was taking my final degree exams the World Cup ('soccer' to those -GMT and N of the equator) was on, and I did not have the time to fix the TV, so I just put an X on the side of the TV in red tape and told the guys that a good thump on the X would get it working again. You can imagine the noise I heard while I was studying: 20 minutes of cheering, then 5 of thumping then 20 minutes of cheering, then 30 minutes of beer cans opening (half time) and then the whole thing repeated. By the end of the World cup the TV still worked, but there was a hole where the X had been!
09-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: dallas
Posts: 16
Guys, I think we are on to something. We should start a forum/blog that just focuses on fixing things with slapping, smacking, hitting, dropping, wacking, banging, throwing it against the wall, shooting it etc.. We can call it whenallelsefails.com
09-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member
stewart_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,864
QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote
(snip) 'soccer' to those -GMT and N of the equator (snip)

Well, with both time and geographical references, I suspect that went right over the heads of a good percentage of those reading from that region.


QuoteQuote:
(snip) then 30 minutes of beer cans opening (half time) (snip)

Of course.


QuoteQuote:
the TV still worked, but there was a hole where the X had been!

As we've so often heard, they just don't make products like that anymore. On one hand, few televisions made today would tolerate that level of abuse. On the other hand, we don't have to pound on televisions as much today.

stewart
09-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member
stewart_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,864
QuoteOriginally posted by vanguy Quote
Guys, I think we are on to something. We should start a forum/blog that just focuses on fixing things with slapping, smacking, hitting, dropping, wacking, banging, throwing it against the wall, shooting it etc.. We can call it whenallelsefails.com


Too late. The whenallelsefails.com has already been taken. How about www.slap-smack-hit-kick.com?

stewart
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bulb, camera, dslr, issue, photo, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lack of TAv on the Kx...has it affected you as a user? Reportage Pentax DSLR Discussion 37 01-29-2010 08:47 PM
new K100D user; Rawshooter help gibikote Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 02-27-2009 01:25 PM
Greetings From A Recent K100D User reduno Welcomes and Introductions 2 01-26-2009 01:56 PM
Temporary K100D user SupremeMoFo Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 08-19-2007 04:45 AM
New K100D user R.Miller Welcomes and Introductions 6 02-03-2007 04:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:46 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top