Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Just put a jinfinance 45° screen in my K100D, absolutely love it so far. I could be imagining it, but it seems brighter than the stock screen. Only took about 10 minutes and probably 8 minutes of that was gathering tools.

12-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Just put a jinfinance 45° screen in my K100D, absolutely love it so far. I could be imagining it, but it seems brighter than the stock screen. Only took about 10 minutes and probably 8 minutes of that was gathering tools.
probably not brighter, just more contrast. I tried using one of these in my istD, but I detest split prism screens. what we need are quality, simple fresnel & microprism screens. pick up a spotmatic or earlier camera and you will see just how much better those are than the standard split prism. honestly, I don’t know why split-prisms ever became so popular.
12-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
probably not brighter, just more contrast. I tried using one of these in my istD, but I detest split prism screens. what we need are quality, simple fresnel & microprism screens. pick up a spotmatic or earlier camera and you will see just how much better those are than the standard split prism. honestly, I don’t know why split-prisms ever became so popular.
I have the microprism type in my K1000 and the split prism in my Super Program, I played with both of them with a couple different lenses and decided I preferred the split.
12-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I have the microprism type in my K1000 and the split prism in my Super Program, I played with both of them with a couple different lenses and decided I preferred the split.
I cant imagine how. why exactly do you prefer it? I always found it more distracting than helpful in achieving focus.

12-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Maybe it is just my inexperience, but with the split prism I have more of an idea of whether I am front or back focused and how far off I am.
12-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the microprism, I don't have the idea that I can be 100% sure that I'm in focus. With the split prism, I feel absolutely comfortable that aligning 2 'lines' gives the correct focus.
12-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I sure do miss the split screen also, though I just use auto focus the vast majority of time. I was used to the split screen on the old ME from 1980 and I liked that a lot. There are times with the K100dSuper now that I think the auto focus just doesn't quite nail it right, and I'd like to be able to adjust further, but without the split screen - can't be sure if I'm improving the focus or not. I thought about adding the Katzeye (sp?), but at $100 or so, I could not justify adding that to a $300 refurb unit. I have also heard that the Katzeye might interfere with both metering and auto focus, though no one has said for sure that occurs. So I'm just using the base auto focus and hoping the focus capabilities on the next unit will be improved. (Forecasting to purchase K5 in October 2012!)

Glenn

12-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Makes sense, saved one step
I'll save you some more:

Shoot in Av mode.

Focus at any aperture up to f4 ~ f5.6, you don't have to be wide open to focus and it is usually easier if you aren't.

Close to your shooting aperture (by counting clicks).

Shoot.
12-05-2010, 05:49 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'll save you some more:

Shoot in Av mode.

Focus at any aperture up to f4 ~ f5.6, you don't have to be wide open to focus and it is usually easier if you aren't.

Close to your shooting aperture (by counting clicks).

Shoot.
Problem with AV mode is the metering is so off.