Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My beef with the K110d

I'm not terribly savvy when it comes to pentax gear (or any other brand for that matter) and I wasn't even aware of my camera's deficiency until I was given an old ME-Super a few days ago. My beef is that my prism makes it incredibly difficult to tell when I have my shot in focus. I hope I can explain this without sounding like a tool...

When looking through the lens on the ME, I can very clearly see a pair of concentric circles that are split down the middle. This makes it very easy to dial in a good focus. However on my K110d there is nothing. Just a couple framing rectangles.

My guess is that the older body was on the higher end when it was manufactured and my dslr is closer to the entry level position.

Boo hiss.

Maybe there is a way to swap out the prisms? What do you guys think? I could find some duct tape a screwdriver and a few cue tips, pull a Macgyver, and fancy myself an upgraded camera.

Any advice short of "learn how to focus" would be greatly appreciated...

11-28-2010, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Actually, most DSLR's don't have the split prism. Even the higher end ones. The split prism was really used as a focusing aid, and with the advent of auto-focus, the manufacturers felt that there was no need to include split prisms in newer DSLR's.

This is not a deficiency with your camera, and to be honest, isn't considered to be a deficiency at all.

However, all's not lost. You can purchase aftermarket split prisms to swap out of your K110d. If you take off your lens and look up at the focusing screen, you'll see that it's held in with a handy latch. No need to MacGyver anything, it's designed to be popped out very easily. You can look on ebay for third party focusing screens or you can check out the popular Kat's eyes screens. Just be careful of introducing stray bits of dust.

Hope this helps.
11-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K110D also has a .85x Pentamirror viewfinder while the ME has a .97x Pentaprism.
11-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
Hope this helps.
You have no idea how much

I never use autofocus as most of my lenses are attached via m42 adapter.

11-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I still wish they would re-instate the split prism as the default screen; not only for the manual focus addicts but also for AF in difficult situations; far easier to check exact focus.
11-29-2010, 02:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
considering i swap all my cameras over to split prism, yes i wish they were the default
11-29-2010, 03:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I just bought an aftermarket diagonal split screen on eBay but after installing it in my K100D I decided to go back to the OEM focusing screen. The main reason being my K100D is dedicated for m42 lenses but when stopping down beyond f5.6 the focus screen just black out which makes very difficult to focus.

Maybe it's only my focusing screen though. Got it for $20.

11-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

As far as I know, aftermarket screens can be hit or miss because of how they affect viewfinder brightness. The Kat's eyes screens have an optional optibright coating to help with that for a premium. You'll also need to worry about a different focusing screen will affect your metering.

I've never actually swapped my screen out with another one, so I'm just reporting what I've learned about the subject over the years. I actually have no first-hand experience.
11-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I just bought an aftermarket diagonal split screen on eBay but after installing it in my K100D I decided to go back to the OEM focusing screen. The main reason being my K100D is dedicated for m42 lenses but when stopping down beyond f5.6 the focus screen just black out which makes very difficult to focus.

Maybe it's only my focusing screen though. Got it for $20.
You focus wide open; only problem you will have is if a lens is not faster than f/5.6
11-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
You focus wide open; only problem you will have is if a lens is not faster than f/5.6
Well yes I figured that out but it defeats the purpose by always have to focus wide open then stopping down afterwards. Besides, I found out the focus confirmation on the OEM focusing screen is pretty accurate after all.
11-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well yes I figured that out but it defeats the purpose by always have to focus wide open then stopping down afterwards.
Please explain the purpose as I don't see how it defeats the purpose.

Any (d)SLR that I have used keeps the lens wide open for easier focusing till you press the shutter. The only problem with the M42 stuff is that a camera that was not designed for them (like the nowadays dSLR) has no means to keep them open automatically.

Besides, I found out the focus confirmation on the OEM focusing screen is pretty accurate after all.
My experience is unfortunately a bit different; might depend on the way I shoot. And focus/recompose does the trick as well most of the time.
11-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Please explain the purpose as I don't see how it defeats the purpose.

Any (d)SLR that I have used keeps the lens wide open for easier focusing till you press the shutter. The only problem with the M42 stuff is that a camera that was not designed for them (like the nowadays dSLR) has no means to keep them open automatically.

My experience is unfortunately a bit different; might depend on the way I shoot. And focus/recompose does the trick as well most of the time.
Hi - what I meant is that process involves too many steps for m42 lenses.

1) set aperture ie f8
2) meter using green button
3) set aperture to wide open
4) focus
5) reset aperture back to the one set in #1
6) shoot
7*) most likely re-meter as most m42 lenses don't get it right the first time
8*) shoot again

Last edited by ducdao; 11-29-2010 at 10:42 PM.
11-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
1) set aperture ie f8 2) meter using green button 3) set aperture to wide open 4) focus 5) reset aperture back to the one set in #1 6) shoot 7*) most likely re-meter as most m42 lenses don't get it right the first time 8*) shoot again __________________

I usually don't meter. I just shutter release with my best guess and go from there.

Thanks for the tips though. I will be looking into a focusing screen here in the future. For now I'm just going to have to suffer through using my stock setup.

I still love you Pentax <3
11-30-2010, 02:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi - what I meant is that process involves too many steps for m42 lenses.

1) set aperture ie f8
2) meter using green button
3) set aperture to wide open
4) focus
5) reset aperture back to the one set in #1
6) shoot
7*) most likely re-meter as most m42 lenses don't get it right the first time
8*) shoot again
Just an idea: do it my way
1) aperture wide open
2) focus
3) close aperture