Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
10/10 to Helen for putting her company's name out there, and trying to fix the problem...I like that sort of service...

to the OP

you sound like your really want the FA..if that's the case then return the DA and move on...if the company that have stuffed up want to work a deal involving you keeping the DA and a sum of coin back in your pocket..then, that's for you to work out what's best for you and if its a good enough deal to take...

it all sounds like a right balls up to me...try and make the best of it..

12-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
to the OP

you sound like your really want the FA..if that's the case then return the DA and move on...if the company that have stuffed up want to work a deal involving you keeping the DA and a sum of coin back in your pocket..then, that's for you to work out what's best for you and if its a good enough deal to take...

it all sounds like a right balls up to me...try and make the best of it..
I'd love to move on. Trouble is I can't do anything until I get this call from Adorama.

By way of background: Like many people with a LBA - I am part photographer, part collector. The reason why the A*200 and FA*200 appeal to me is that they are more collectible than the DA*. Having said that, I do have a practical side and if it comes down to a choice between a DA* in my hand or a long wait until I find a nice (and well priced) example of an A* or FA* - the DA* may prove to be the better bet.

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
What happened to returning the lens for a full refund and getting a brand new DA*200mm? Shouldn't you just be paying the $40 difference?
If they can't give me a reasonable price on the used one, that's certainly an option I may choose.

Last edited by Spock; 12-02-2010 at 01:05 AM.
12-02-2010, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes mate I can understand why you'd want a mint collectors piece over the new Tek..I get that for sure...living in WA I also understand the frustration of receiving the package and finding out its all gone to pot....at least its not some dodgy ebay company...

you'll get it sorted mate..of that im sure..

let us know what you do decide though....
12-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update:
No phonecalls or emails from Adorama.

Will have to wait until Monday now as I'm going to out of town and will be away from regular communication for the weekend.

12-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
The reason why the A*200 and FA*200 appeal to me is that they are more collectible than the DA*.
I have the FA*300/4.5 and absolutely love it.

It actually is just a tiny bit less sharp than the DA*300/4. But I really like it's fast focussing in the field. The K-5 has a real grip on it. And it is a classic lens.

So, I can feel your disappointment. Just wait for the next deal on a FA*. I'm not sure the A*200 is optically on par with the FA*200.
12-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update:
Still waiting on a phonecall/email from Adorama's used equipment department.
I have however been in contact with Helen who is going to follow up why this hasn't been resolved yet.
12-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update:
Spoke to the boss at Adorama and he made me an offer of a part-refund to keep the lens (that I wish I could say I couldn't refuse, but alas, it's not that good).

I am now considering sending the lens back and using the credit to buy a new FA77 - which might be a more useful lens for me than a 200mm anyway.

12-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member

$50 or even $100 is neither here nor there when talking about lenses of the calibre you are looking at. There's no point in keeping the DA*200 (even if you were offered a great deal) when all the while you were wishing you owned the FA*200, or the FA77.

Buy the lens you want, I mean really want. If you don't care either way maybe go for a full refund and wait until you really do feel passionate about wanting a particular lens.
12-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Final update:

I have decided to keep the DA*200 and have accepted Adorama's offer of a part-refund. It is very nice lens and I grew too attached to it to send it back.

Although it is always a bit frustrating to have a problem with an internet purchase, it is reassuring to know that you are dealing with a professional company that you can trust will resolve the issue in the end - as Adorama did in this case.

Thanks to Helen and everyone who contributed to this thread.
12-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #40

Spock,

It strikes me a bit like ordering food in a restaurant. If, what arrives, isn't quite exactly what you expected it to be, the next question should be, 'Do I like it?'. For me, if the answer to that is yes, then I'd eat it, and pay for it. Or, in your case, keep the lens.

I understand your concerns. It isn't what you were expecting. A couple quick questions. Has your experience with this lens led to, at all, to believe that this is what you really wanted all along? If you could buy a used one in the same condition for a bit less, is it worth the hassle to return this one and do so? And last, but by no means least, do you really, still, want that old, classic lens?

If the answer to the last question is yes, then I'd return it. If you have a film body you can test it on, and you really wanted full frame coverage, it might be worth shooting a quick roll of film with it and looking at the resultant images with a critical eye. If you're happy after that, then I'd file the experience under 'bonus'. If not, I'd send it back.

I'm not, in any of this, trying to suggest they weren't less than truthful. It sounds like they were. Ultimately, the real question is, does this leave you farther ahead, or farther behind. No one can really answer that but you.

I have the DA 300 F/4, and I love it. I've considered the 200, but I have seen, and held the A* 300 2.8. I don't own one at the moment, but I probably will some day. Manual focus or FA, I'm not too concerned. If I ordered the A* 300 2.8 and got, say, the SDM 300 F/4, I'd be annoyed, and I'd return it.

Think of this, I would advise, as an opportunity to reflect on what it is you really want and need, and the react accordingly.