Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Well, FWIW, 2 out of the 6 times I have ordered a used lens from the same company that the OP is referring to, the lens was not the same one that was advertised.
Make that 3 out of 7.

In a case of ironic timing, I received a lens today that I ordered on Thursday and it was not exactly the lens I ordered (they sent the "F" version of the lens instead of the "FA" version that was listed in their ad and on my receipt).

11-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So, wait until you get a reply from the seller, then follow up.

What else?
11-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #18
Forum Member

That's happened to me before too from a place in the States. I ordered a FA* 28-70mm f/2.8 and paid the big bucks for it only to get the much cheaper FA 28-70mm f/4.0.

I was not impressed and not sure how anyone could mix the two up! I returned it rather promptly and they refunded all shipping costs which was nice. But still... for a camera shop to mix two very different lenses up is something I don't comprehend!
11-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
No reply from the store yet...

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
i there is, by the way, no doubt in my mind that if your order confirmation says you ordered and paid for an fa* lens, that is what you should get. a first-rate retailer will pay for return of the wrong item and ship you what you ordered.
Thank you. What I ordered was described as an FA*200 - with a file photo of an FA*200 as an illustration. You can't get much clearer than that.

Even the specs they posted in the detailed description were for a FA*200. (eg weight was given as 785grams as opposed to the 825grams that the DA*200 weighs).

As far as I'm concerned, I ordered an FA*200, not a DA*200. The invoice I received with the package states "Pentax SMCP-FA 200 2.8 DA* ED SDM (IF)" - so it seems they are covering both bases - but the fact remains that even the invoice starts with "FA".

Like I said, if I wanted a DA*200, I would have bought a new one.

I see that B&H are selling them for $959 with cheaper shipping than I got with 'my' $899 used one.

Last edited by Spock; 11-29-2010 at 06:16 PM.
11-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

maybe the difference between the lens is not so apparent to the semi captive ape working in their shipping dept.
11-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
They describe it as "USED: Pentax Smcp-fa 200 2.8 Ed Da* (if) Lens"
Even more confusing...
11-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #22
gtl
Veteran Member

Get a full refund. And buy a new DA* from B&H!

11-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Get a full refund. And buy a new DA* from B&H!
Actually that is something I think I might just do! It would be a lot easier than looking for another used and well priced FA*200/2.8.

Only trouble is I can't commit any more money until I know what the store in question has to say about their mistake.

I sure hope I get a reply from them tonight. If I don't, I face another day of frustration. I cannot contact them, or expect any contact from them, during the day (in my part of the world) due to the time difference.
11-30-2010, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #24
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Actually that is something I think I might just do! It would be a lot easier than looking for another used and well priced FA*200/2.8.

Only trouble is I can't commit any more money until I know what the store in question has to say about their mistake.

I sure hope I get a reply from them tonight. If I don't, I face another day of frustration. I cannot contact them, or expect any contact from them, during the day (in my part of the world) due to the time difference.
If it was us messing up, I work unsocial (to some) hours. So you can drop me an email and I'll fix it: HelenO@adorama.com

(And yes, we will cover the return the shipping costs, AND compensate you for your trouble...)
11-30-2010, 02:24 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
If it was us messing up, I work unsocial (to some) hours. So you can drop me an email and I'll fix it: HelenO@adorama.com

(And yes, we will cover the return the shipping costs, AND compensate you for your trouble...)
Thank you for posting. I have emailed you at that address and look forward to your reply.

(It is a good thing for me that you work such strange hours!)
11-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote

My faith in retailers restored. Exactly how i would have dealt with it when i was in retail
Good one Helen
12-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update:
I am still trying to resolve the issue with Adorama and decide whether to return the lens or keep it with a part-refund. I was sold the lens for $899 but Adorama sell the DA*200 for $939 - why would anyone buy used for only $40 less?! (Unless you think you are buying something else? )

Helen has put me onto a guy from their used lens department who wants to speak to me on the phone. This could be difficult with the 13 hour time difference. Hopefully we can arrange something mutually convenient.

I do notice this morning that a second used FA*200 that came up for sale after I purchased mine (and which I was told was actually also a DA*200) has been removed from their list of used lenses for sale. That's good.
12-01-2010, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #28

probably just me, but this kind of haggling instead of just fixing the problem is precisely why i try not to do business with some retailers.

here's what happened when i bought an inexpensive wireless printer from amazon and it was doa: i emailed them my distress. the return email said a new one was on its way and they were emailing an rma with a prepaid ups label so i could return the one that didn't work. i was given a deadline by which the claimed doa item had to be shipped/returned to them. the replacement printer (brand new, not a refurb or whatever it is some other retailers do) arrived as scheduled. they also emailed me when they received the returned one. it doubtless cost amazon about as much as they paid epson for the printer to resolve the issue. on the other hand, there have been any number of times when i could have made a purchase for, say, $50+ less somewhere else and have gone with amazon instead precisely because of that service.

now here are you and i on the internet relating our experiences - yours with adorama and mine with amazon. i leave the resulting impression to your imagination.
12-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
probably just me, but this kind of haggling instead of just fixing the problem is precisely why i try not to do business with some retailers.
I hear you.
I thought I made myself pretty clear under what arrangement I'd keep the lens and, if that was something that they couldn't accomodate, I'd send it back for a full refund.

Still, I will keep an open mind and await a phonecall from Adorama.

What I find particularly regrettable about this saga is that after placing the order with Adorama, I found this A*200/2.8 for sale as a 'Buy it Now' on ebay. I would have snapped it up immediately had I not believed I had a FA*200 on the way. Now I have missed out on a very rare opprtunity to buy a classic lens at a very attractive price.

(And yes, I know I should have just bought the A*200 anyway and decided which one to keep later - but the wife reminded me about the state of our credit card and put her foot down. )

Last edited by Spock; 12-01-2010 at 08:23 PM.
12-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #30
gtl
Veteran Member

What happened to returning the lens for a full refund and getting a brand new DA*200mm? Shouldn't you just be paying the $40 difference?