Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Spock's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 419
Bought FA*200/2.8 but received DA*200/2.8 ?!

I just opened a package I have been eagerly awaiting from a big USA camera shop (which shall remain unnamed for the moment) expecting to see a Ex+ FA*200 F2.8 with original box and case. Instead I opened it up to find an Ex+ DA*200 with original box and case.

I don't know whether to be disappointed or pleased. Suffice it to say I am a bit stunned and not too sure where to go from here.

I paid US899 plus $88 in Fed Ex shipping (even though it was actually shipped UPS which would have been about $25 cheaper).

Have I been conned? I could have bought a brand new DA*200 for [edit] less than $50 more [/edit] if I'd wanted one.

The advert description and image descibed the lens as an FA*200.2.8 - and that is what I thought I was buying.


Last edited by Spock; 11-30-2010 at 12:08 AM.
11-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
You have definitely been conned my friend!

The good news is, I can help you get your money back.
All you need to do is ship the lens out to me without delay and my legal department will take care of the rest.

Sincerely,
JohnB
11-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,038
F is right beside D on the keyboard - but hey, I think you got a better lens out of it! Anyway, if you didn't get what was pictured, you should return it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Spock's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 419
Original Poster
I know the DA*200 is a nice lens, but that is a lens that (in theory) I could go to the shops and buy anytime.



An FA*200 however, especially one still in the original box, is a rare beast indeed.



Whichever way you look at it, the product was misrepresented by the online store - whether deliberately or otherwise.

And then there's the small detail with regard to overcharging me for the shipping.

11-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
I'd say try it out for a couple of days, and if you really like it, keep it. Otherwise, send it back.

As you may know, it's essentially the same lens as the FA*, except it adds WR and SDM. It still includes screw drive as well, but apparently that only works on non-SDM capable bodies. It is FF so it should work on film or any possible future FF bodies (like a few other DA lenses which are also unofficially FF), so that shouldn't be a problem. But even "optically identical" lenses from different series' render color and images slightly differently, so you may prefer one or the other. I favor F and A glass, but in practice use mostly FA and DA lenses.

Personally, I'd probably slightly favor the FA* images, but I'm considering buying the DA* lens anyway because I'd like the WR (and I liked the DA* when I tried it).

If you don't really like it, you should get your shipping costs back when you return it - since it's their mistake. Otherwise, you need to be telling all of us the name of the store!
11-29-2010, 02:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Spock's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 419
Original Poster
I've tried the DA* on my camera and taken a few test shots with it and I agree it's a great lens. When you look at the specs on paper no doubt it is superior product to the FA*200 as an overall package (due to SDM and weathersealing).

But this doesn't change the fact it's not what I bought!

I thought I was buying a classic lens in perfect condition but in fact I received a used example of a current, and readily available lens.

What is more, the DA*200 is available new from eBay sellers for as little as just over US$1000 and yet I paid only $100 less for a used one.

I notice that the online store that sold me the DA* that should have been an FA* now has another used Ex+ FA*200 for sale for $875.

They describe it as "USED: Pentax Smcp-fa 200 2.8 Ed Da* (if) Lens"
with the following image:



But is it really an FA*200? Or is someone else going to buy a used DA*200 thinking they'll be getting an FA*200?

Last edited by Spock; 11-29-2010 at 07:23 AM.
11-29-2010, 04:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
I've tried the DA* on my camera and taken a few test shots with it and I agree it's a great lens. When you look at the specs on paper no doubt it is superior product to the FA*200 as an overall package (due to SDM and weathersealing).

But this doesn't change the fact it's not what I bought!

I thought I was buying a classic lens in perfect condition but in fact I received a used example of a current, and readily available lens.

What is more, the DA*200 is available new from eBay sellers for as little as just over US$1000 and yet I paid only $100 less for a used one.

I notice that the online store that sold me the DA* that should have been an FA* now has another used Ex+ FA*200 for sale for $875.

They describe it as "USED: Pentax Smcp-fa 200 2.8 Ed Da* (if) Lens"
with the following image:



But is it really an FA*200?
It also says Not Actual Image below the photo. The description though is confusing as to what is actually for sale. I would contact them directly to see what they intend to do about it. Sounds more like a shipping error than an attempt to deceive to me. Before accusing anyone of such, in open forum, you (and anyone else) really should verify that is what happened.

DA* specs do usually include SDM and WR as main selling points and those are not listed in the specs in the ad.

Edit: By the way, Are you Sure you got a USED one?


Last edited by JeffJS; 11-29-2010 at 07:32 AM.
11-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Spock's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 419
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It also says Not Actual Image below the photo. The description though is confusing as to what is actually for sale. I would contact them directly to see what they intend to do about it. Sounds more like a shipping error than an attempt to deceive to me. Before accusing anyone of such, in open forum, you (and anyone else) really should verify that is what happened.

DA* specs do usually include SDM and WR as main selling points and those are not listed in the specs in the ad.

Edit: By the way, Are you Sure you got a USED one?

'Not actual image' I have no problem with - but you'd assume if the image was for an FA*200, the product would be an FA*200. Especially when the description says 'FA'.

And yes, my DA is definitely used. It is Ex+ but it clearly shows signs of use, the case has clearly been well used and the original box is pretty tatty.

I don't want to accuse anyone of anything (and have edited my post above) - I'm just putting it out there for discussion.

I haven't named the company in this forum and I have contacted them with my concerns and am awaiting a reply.


Last edited by Spock; 11-29-2010 at 07:24 AM.
11-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
I would expect them to either refund fully (including the cost of return shipping since it's their error or make an offer of a discount to get you to keep it and save all the hassle of returns if they are a good shop
errors happen.
perhaps they will make it good with the new listing and a discount for the trouble you never know. If it's a large dealer it's possible it was placed in the wrong spot in the warehouse by someone who is a warehouse worker but not knowledgeable about cameras. particularly at this time of year people take on a lot of seasonal staff who make dumb errors
11-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
'Not actual image' I have no problem with - but you'd assume if the image was for an FA*200, the product would be an FA*200. Especially when the description says 'FA'.

And yes, my DA is definitely used. It is Ex+ but it clearly shows signs of use, the case has clearly been well used and the original box is pretty tatty.

I don't want to accuse anyone of anything (and have edited my post above) - I'm just putting it out there for discussion.

I haven't named the company in this forum and I have contacted them with my concerns and am awaiting a reply.
Don't get me wrong, I do hope this works out for you. It is that part (highlighted) that I have a problem with. It happens far too often, somebody doesn't get what he expected (even if it's what he ordered in some cases) and wants to accuse someone of fraud. Almost Just as often, coming here to do so first before contacting the other party.

I'll edit my post as well..

11-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I would expect them to either refund fully (including the cost of return shipping since it's their error or make an offer of a discount to get you to keep it and save all the hassle of returns if they are a good shop
errors happen.
perhaps they will make it good with the new listing and a discount for the trouble you never know. If it's a large dealer it's possible it was placed in the wrong spot in the warehouse by someone who is a warehouse worker but not knowledgeable about cameras. particularly at this time of year people take on a lot of seasonal staff who make dumb errors
Well, FWIW, 2 out of the 6 times I have ordered a used lens from the same company that the OP is referring to, the lens was not the same one that was advertised. The first time I was sent an DFA50/macro instead of an FA50/macro and the second time the FA50/1.7 I bought turned out to be an A50/1.7.

I honestly believe that in both cases (and in the case of the OP) the company was just careless in their descriptions of their products and there was no attempt to intentionally bait and switch anyone. That said, I understand how the OP would be upset to order something, pay almost $100 to have it shipped to him, only to find out it's not what he ordered/wanted.
11-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Well, FWIW, 2 out of the 6 times I have ordered a used lens from the same company that the OP is referring to, the lens was not the same one that was advertised. The first time I was sent an DFA50/macro instead of an FA50/macro and the second time the FA50/1.7 I bought turned out to be an A50/1.7.

I honestly believe that in both cases (and in the case of the OP) the company was just careless in their descriptions of their products and there was no attempt to intentionally bait and switch anyone. That said, I understand how the OP would be upset to order something, pay almost $100 to have it shipped to him, only to find out it's not what he ordered/wanted.
As I'm not aware of which shop he bought from i have no comment on it. the only shop I've bought used gear from in the US has always been overly hard on the ratings (rating items ugly others may rate good+ exc-
and have always been good to deal with
i took a quick look at their site to make sure it wasn't them and didn't see the new listing (it may have sold already though). they are rarely the cheapest outlet, however I've bought a couple of ugly lenses that we're far from ugly at excellent prices

and you're right it's probably carelessness on their part, the true measure being what they do to fix the situation

Personally I wouldn't have posted on it unless they didn't make good on the transaction, then i would have posted the full details including store name to warn people off them
I'm not vindictive, but if they screw up and don't go out of their way to make it right then they deserve negative publicity.
That being said if they do a good job of resolving it I believe they should be praised for the handling of the error after all we all make mistakes it's just how we deal with it afterward that distinguishes us
11-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
As I'm not aware of which shop he bought from i have no comment on it. the only shop I've bought used gear from in the US has always been overly hard on the ratings (rating items ugly others may rate good+ exc-
and have always been good to deal with
i took a quick look at their site to make sure it wasn't them and didn't see the new listing (it may have sold already though). they are rarely the cheapest outlet, however I've bought a couple of ugly lenses that we're far from ugly at excellent prices

and you're right it's probably carelessness on their part, the true measure being what they do to fix the situation

Personally I wouldn't have posted on it unless they didn't make good on the transaction, then i would have posted the full details including store name to warn people off them
I'm not vindictive, but if they screw up and don't go out of their way to make it right then they deserve negative publicity.
That being said if they do a good job of resolving it I believe they should be praised for the handling of the error after all we all make mistakes it's just how we deal with it afterward that distinguishes us
I agree with you on all accounts, although I don't think the OP was trying to give the company negative publicity; I think he honestly was trying to figure out what to do in his situation.

I believe what complicates the situation is that in a case where a mistake is made with a US buyer, the cost of shipping to and from the store is minimal ($5-10 each way). However, the OP paid almost $100 to have the item shipped halfway across the world and would potentially be looking at a similar bill to send it back. I don't know if the company would be willing to pay for part or all of the shipping costs to rectify the mistake or not. My personal experience with the company has been positive, and despite the mix-ups in the past on a few of my transactions, I would not hesitate to do business with them again.
11-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 119
i believe the online retailer you're discussing has a customer service rep who sometimes appears at pf. you should ask adam for assistance in contacting the rep. i say this because if my assumption about which retailer it is is correct, based on my personal experience, their online customer service is, shall we say, unsophisticated and one reason i take my business elsewhere.

there is, by the way, no doubt in my mind that if your order confirmation says you ordered and paid for an fa* lens, that is what you should get. a first-rate retailer will pay for return of the wrong item and ship you what you ordered. the cost of doing that compared to the damage caused to its reputation by not doing it is miniscule.

good luck.
11-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
there is, by the way, no doubt in my mind that if your order confirmation says you ordered and paid for an fa* lens, that is what you should get. a first-rate retailer will pay for return of the wrong item and ship you what you ordered. the cost of doing that compared to the damage caused to its reputation by not doing it is miniscule.

good luck.
bang on
but not all retailers get it
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
box, camera, da*200, dslr, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Tokina 80-200/2.8 KA; K 135/2.5; M 200/4; Tamron 70-150/2.8 soft thomasxie Sold Items 6 02-26-2010 11:08 AM
For Sale - Sold: M 50/f1.4, Takumar 135/f2.5, Super Tak 28/f3.5, Tokina 80-200/f2.8, M 80-200/f loudbay Sold Items 11 03-07-2008 04:53 PM
I Bought A 16-45 And A 50-200 Today Mike Bokeh Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 42 11-24-2007 05:36 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top