Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #1

indecisive

I strolled into B&H on my day off today, to torture myself by playing with the K10 and K100 models. Well, my other purpose was to see/get a feel for these cameras in person and try to make a decision. Anyhow, I STILL can't decide! I brought my SMC-M 50mm/f1.4 lens and both models were awesome. I am young and poor, have rather small hands, and megapixels arent my concern, so K100 sounds like the better choice, but I can't decide how much I really feel I need the weather and dust resistant features. I would like to go back to carrying my camera with me daily to capture everyday observations, but I'm not sure if the extra ~$400 is worth it. My other worry is that I might want to move on to K10 in a year or two, but on the other hand, I have been using my good old K1000 forever and never felt a desire to upgrade in the film world. Opinions or advice, anyone? Thanks!

12-05-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You want a decision? Well buy the 100, esp with small hands and no pixels problem. Have you had a camera die on you because it wasn't weather resistant? No? Buy the 100. If you want to move to the 10 in a year or think how much cheaper it will be!

Last edited by Arpe; 12-05-2006 at 05:04 PM.
12-05-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

just another opinion its your own decision that matters but buy the 100.. the extra money can be put to far better use if u dont have much of it..

if u dont need sr.. u could even go for the 110 and save even more money..

trog
12-05-2006, 04:52 PM   #4

get what makes you happy..

but remember food makes you happy too!

12-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On a totally silly note, "K100D" looks very similar to "K1000".

I went from a K1000 (and ME Super) to the DL, which is much like the K100, and I'm perfectly happy with it. I might have the chance to do a slightly complicated trade that will in the end get me the K100, and I have to admit I'd like to do it because of the similarity of the names!

Julie
12-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by potatostar Quote
I strolled into B&H on my day off today, to torture myself by playing with the K10 and K100 models. Well, my other purpose was to see/get a feel for these cameras in person and try to make a decision. Anyhow, I STILL can't decide! I brought my SMC-M 50mm/f1.4 lens and both models were awesome. I am young and poor, have rather small hands, and megapixels arent my concern, so K100 sounds like the better choice, but I can't decide how much I really feel I need the weather and dust resistant features. I would like to go back to carrying my camera with me daily to capture everyday observations, but I'm not sure if the extra ~$400 is worth it. My other worry is that I might want to move on to K10 in a year or two, but on the other hand, I have been using my good old K1000 forever and never felt a desire to upgrade in the film world. Opinions or advice, anyone? Thanks!
I can't decide for you, but I can tell you the reasons I want the K10
It seems to have a lot of features that are easier to find and use, mostly at the turn of a dial. (hate menus, but I have to admit, with the k100 that my wife just bought, it isn't as bad as I thought).
I really don't need 10 mp, but 6 mp is just a little shy for me. I would have been more then happy if it was 8 mp.
The shake reduction is supposed to be even more effective then the k100, and I have shakey hands.
I hate trading or selling things because I loose money. So I figure why buy one camera and trade it in. With the K10, unless something really incredable comes out, it will likely be the last Digital SLR I will own, so putting a few extra hundered dollars towards it is worth while.
I guess this last thing is the real deal sealer..... with the wife having the k100, I kind of have the best of both worlds

good luck on your decision.
My advice: If you can afford it, go for it.
12-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
Inactive Account

^ what he said. I couldn't exactly "afford" the K10D so I was determined to save up for it. ( I think Santa is getting it for me ). The last 2 oly camera's I have had both were water resistant and it pays off! Even if you've never had a camera die from it, its nice peace of mind to know it can handle it, I've taken some great shots from the back of a moving boat or in rain that I wasn't afraid to take.

I'm the same way about losing money, I figure its more expensive to buy cheap then upgrade later than it is to just take the upgrade in the first place.
12-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

in the UK the 100d can be had for 400 the k10 is 700..

apart from having the "latest and the greatest" its hard to justify the extra money.. having said that my k100 plus tamrom 18x200 walk-around cost me over 700 anyways.. bought about six weeks ago..

we have reached the point where the body is cheap.. a k10 with the kit lens is pretty much a waste of space..

trog

12-05-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Potatostar, what kind of pics do you take/wanna take?
thanks
barondla
12-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Having the same problem!

I finally got my hands on a K10D this morning for the first time and compared it to the K100D. The K100 does everything I could possibly want but I gotta admit that big K10 was just a joy to HOLD! The viewfinder is clearer and brighter than the little brother and that big baby just felt RIGHT! My first digital SLR and I could use the extra money (nearly $500 actually) for lenses.

Still, the fact is, rationale went out the window when I played with the K10. Two weeks ago I gave myself a self-imposed limit of a week to make a final decision. I just extended it another week.

Dan
12-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

"rationale went out the window"

yes.. it kinda has a habit of doing that..

i thought hard about the 700 plus my little brother 100d plus tamron 18 x 200 cost.. but since then its been a couple of flashes.. sigma super plus used oly T32.. a whole bunch of new and used lenses.. the original cost must have more than doubled quite rapidly.. he he

i know one thing.. the 700.. if that was the absolute amount of money that could be spent.. it wouldnt go on the k10 plus kit lens.. but usually there is extra money to be found for all the other bits and bobs we think we need.. if there isnt going to be.. it has to be the cheaper camera plus a decent flash or lense or two..

buying any dslr body on its own or even with the kit lens is just the beginning..

trog
12-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by potatostar:
... My other worry is that I might want to move on to K10 in a year or two, but on the other hand, I have been using my good old K1000 forever and never felt a desire to upgrade in the film world. Opinions or advice, anyone?
Now, you are coming from a K1000, so are very comfortable with manual modes. Manual focus, manual metering, manual shutter speed, manual aperture setting, etc. This changing ISO on the fly is new stuff to you. You are also short of funds and are just starting out in this life.

You need to slightly change your thinking, as I had to do, to the realities of today's cameras. Back in our day, the glory days of Pentax with the K2, MX, and K1000, camera bodies (and lenses) lasted 'forever'. I still have, and use on occasion, my 30-year old MX that I purchased as a young married man in 1976. It is a wonderful, all manual camera and was never 'out of date'.

Today's digital cameras should be considered more of an electronic device than a photographic device. What I mean is that film camera bodies of the MX/K1000 era never went 'out of date'. They were always 'current'. Sure, autofocus came into being, but oldsters were quite happy with manual focus lenses, which for the most part, were of better quality than less expensive autofocus lenses. Hence, I was able to keep using my MX without any loss of capability, or ever felt 'behind the times'.

Now, with digital SLR bodies . . . they are changing so rapidly that any current model will not be sold in 18-months hence. How long was the production run of the K1000? Something like 20-25 years??!? That's a long time to be making a camera body that was basically unchanged over its production run.

dSLR bodies, with the technological innovation, are limited to a short lifespan. Sure, the original D body is great for what it is, and can still be purchased new at several places, but the K10D is so much more and 'better'. One such innovation is Shake Reduction. Within a year or possibly two, every manufacture will be incorporating Shake Reduction, or some form of it, into every dSLR they sell. Only a low-cost, introductory model will not have it.

All this is to say . . .my advice to you, since you are still young and your income will most likely increase in future years . . . get the K100D now, and 'upgrade' in three, four, or five years hence when you will have some extra, discretionary income. By that time, something with a lot more capabilities than the K10D will be available and all of us will be wondering, "Sure, I love my K10D. It is a great camera that has served me well these past three years, but I'd sure like to have that new 'LX1D' body. Now, that's a real, professional camera!"

You're used to manual operations. Think of the K100D as a digital equivalent of the K1000 or MX. With the added bonus of autofocus, Av, and Tv modes when you need them. If you are really lazy, then you could use the P mode. But, I suspect that you will be using M mode most of the time, until you find out the advantages of Av and Tv for applications when those are needed.

Good luck on your decision. By the way, get the kit lens too. It is a bargain when purchased with a body and is a very decent, serviceable and capable lens.
12-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
All this is to say . . .my advice to you, since you are still young and your income will most likely increase in future years . . . get the K100D now, and 'upgrade' in three, four, or five years hence when you will have some extra, discretionary income. By that time, something with a lot more capabilities than the K10D will be available and all of us will be wondering, "Sure, I love my K10D. It is a great camera that has served me well these past three years, but I'd sure like to have that new 'LX1D' body. Now, that's a real, professional camera!"

You're used to manual operations. Think of the K100D as a digital equivalent of the K1000 or MX. With the added bonus of autofocus, Av, and Tv modes when you need them. If you are really lazy, then you could use the P mode. But, I suspect that you will be using M mode most of the time, until you find out the advantages of Av and Tv for applications when those are needed.

Good luck on your decision. By the way, get the kit lens too. It is a bargain when purchased with a body and is a very decent, serviceable and capable lens.
Thanks for the input. I only saw this just now. I am definitely getting the kit lens. i am just so frustrated with my digital "high end" p&s' limitations but also with how expensive film processing is. this purchase will allow me to marry both worlds.