Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Jessops UK have returned to selling Pentax.

Jessops, the largest chain of photography shops in the UK, have returned to selling Pentax gear. A couple of years ago they got rid of everything saying that it wasnt selling, and left just a few Sigma & Tamron models on their website, but nothing in their shops. They now appear to have the Kx, K-r, K7 & K5 on their website, plus flashes. No lenses yet though.

Im not a big fan of Jessops as in my experience theyre a typical big high street retailer whose staff know little about photography, but their Pentax prices are good (and the K-r is the cheapest Ive seen) and if the lenses follow with a similar pricing policy Id say its very good news for Pentax in the UK.

Pentax should get some of their reps into these shops to organise events.

11-29-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally think that it's a good thing that Jessop's is stocking again.
That side-by-side comparison is all important, and they have the full-range in stock with the necessary kit deals.
Prices don't seem bad at all.
I'll pop in when I'm back home for Christmas.
11-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Our local Jessops are awful, and their reputation on UK camera forums is not good, even on the Canikon forums.

But I have to admit that I bought my K10 there many years ago as they were at that time the only local shop where I could handle one before I bought it.
I fully intended to buy it online but after some aggressive bargaining on my part I got the ludicrous price down to close enough to an online dealers.

But I was surprised the child behind the counter didn't ask "would you like fries with that ?"
11-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
Forum Member

Jessops today - K5 including WR lens - 999.00 (includes 120 cashback)

11-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Forum Member

SRS Microsystems have it for 969 including cashback. No contest.
12-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by abraham_love Quote
SRS Microsystems have it for 969 including cashback. No contest.
Use code Pentax5 on Jessops for another 5% off and Quidco for 8%

Indeed .. no contest.
12-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Use code Pentax5 on Jessops for another 5% off and Quidco for 8%

Indeed .. no contest.
Wow, I clicked to their page to look into that & theyre advertising Pentax (cashbacks) on their front page, as well as the K-r kit for 499GBP. Im glad to see theyve decided to try to be competitive. Theyve even added a few lenses to the store, and they have the Sigma (non-HSM) 24-70 for 299 which is the cheapest Ive ever seen.
12-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #8

I bought a Pentax-fit Tamron lens from them a few months ago. I ordered it from the website and picked it up in-store. The store staff were somewhat confused because they didn't think they stocked Pentax. Maybe my purchase helped them understand there is a market.

12-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #9

Was the last time I spent any real money at Jessops, at their Doncaster branch. I hesitate to count up the money I've spent since then on photographic equipment and materials. I'd guess I've spent less than 50 of it, all in small amounts, at any Jessops and all because of the spotty till monkey I last dealt with. He assured me that because I wanted infinity focus in landscapes I was expecting too much of a 35mm compact; it was an expensive Yashica, by the way, not a glorified disposable.

Sorry, but not while the sun still shines on Watford!
12-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #10

Jessops may have returned to Pentax, but I will not be returning to Jessops. Went in to my local shop last week to look at tripods and have probably never got such poor customer service and advise. When I eventually attracted a member of staffs attention (apparently he had a very important text message to send) he was worse then useless. I think the assistant may have found me more informative to him then the other way round. You get better customer service and product knowledge in Aldi.
12-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Though of little interest to many knowledgeable photographers, I think the significance of this move is important in raising Pentaxs profile.
12-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #12

I see your point, Jonathan. Unfortunately prospective Pentax owners - particularly inexperienced ones looking for good advice - could be discouraged by experiences such as ours.