Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Jessops UK have returned to selling Pentax.

Jessops, the largest chain of photography shops in the UK, have returned to selling Pentax gear. A couple of years ago they got rid of everything saying that it wasn´t selling, and left just a few Sigma & Tamron models on their website, but nothing in their shops. They now appear to have the Kx, K-r, K7 & K5 on their website, plus flashes. No lenses yet though.

I´m not a big fan of Jessops as in my experience they´re a typical big high street retailer whose staff know little about photography, but their Pentax prices are good (and the K-r is the cheapest I´ve seen) and if the lenses follow with a similar pricing policy I´d say it´s very good news for Pentax in the UK.

Pentax should get some of their reps into these shops to organise events.

11-29-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally think that it's a good thing that Jessop's is stocking again.
That side-by-side comparison is all important, and they have the full-range in stock with the necessary kit deals.
Prices don't seem bad at all.
I'll pop in when I'm back home for Christmas.
11-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Our local Jessops are awful, and their reputation on UK camera forums is not good, even on the Canikon forums.

But I have to admit that I bought my K10 there many years ago as they were at that time the only local shop where I could handle one before I bought it.
I fully intended to buy it online but after some aggressive bargaining on my part I got the ludicrous price down to close enough to an online dealers.

But I was surprised the child behind the counter didn't ask "would you like fries with that ?"
11-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
Forum Member

Jessops today - K5 including WR lens - £999.00 (includes £120 cashback)

11-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Forum Member

SRS Microsystems have it for £969 including cashback. No contest.
12-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abraham_love Quote
SRS Microsystems have it for £969 including cashback. No contest.
Use code Pentax5 on Jessops for another 5% off and Quidco for 8%

Indeed .. no contest.
12-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Use code Pentax5 on Jessops for another 5% off and Quidco for 8%

Indeed .. no contest.
Wow, I clicked to their page to look into that & they´re advertising Pentax (cashbacks) on their front page, as well as the K-r kit for 499GBP. I´m glad to see they´ve decided to try to be competitive. They´ve even added a few lenses to the store, and they have the Sigma (non-HSM) 24-70 for 299 which is the cheapest I´ve ever seen.

12-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #8

I bought a Pentax-fit Tamron lens from them a few months ago. I ordered it from the website and picked it up in-store. The store staff were somewhat confused because they didn't think they stocked Pentax. Maybe my purchase helped them understand there is a market.
12-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery

Was the last time I spent any real money at Jessops, at their Doncaster branch. I hesitate to count up the money I've spent since then on photographic equipment and materials. I'd guess I've spent less than £50 of it, all in small amounts, at any Jessops and all because of the spotty till monkey I last dealt with. He assured me that because I wanted infinity focus in landscapes I was expecting too much of a 35mm compact; it was an expensive Yashica, by the way, not a glorified disposable.

Sorry, but not while the sun still shines on Watford!
12-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #10

Jessops may have returned to Pentax, but I will not be returning to Jessops. Went in to my local shop last week to look at tripods and have probably never got such poor customer service and advise. When I eventually attracted a member of staffs attention (apparently he had a very important text message to send) he was worse then useless. I think the assistant may have found me more informative to him then the other way round. You get better customer service and product knowledge in Aldi.
12-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Though of little interest to many knowledgeable photographers, I think the significance of this move is important in raising Pentax´s profile.
12-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
I see your point, Jonathan. Unfortunately prospective Pentax owners - particularly inexperienced ones looking for good advice - could be discouraged by experiences such as ours.