Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 06:21 AM   #1

help with camera selection

Hi all,
this is my first post and sorry if its long winded. I need assistance selecting a camera. I want a camera that will work well particularly when travelling but will also be great when I do some photography courses and increase my knowledge.
When travelling in the USA I think many of my photos were ruined because the flash was too ugly, particularly when a person was standing in front of a landscape. Also I had many blurry photos due to being at night etc.
Have any of you had experiences with the K7 in taking pictures of people that are very flattering and not blurry? Are there any scene modes?
Is it a good camera for a dummy, I mean novice, who will eventually learn and develop photography skills?
Any feedback most welcome.

I am leaning toward the K7 but at this point am quite confused.

11-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like your pictures are either suffering from flash blow out or noise. For the flash problem, you'll need to learn how to diffuse the flash or bounce/reflect it in another direction. For noise, especially in low light areas, you'll probably want to skip the K-7. I'd say the K-x or K-r would serve you better especially if you're still a novice. Both those cameras mentioned do well in low light settings and they are pretty user-friendly with some basic "scene modes" that you find in point and shoot cameras. But of course, they are still feature rich providing a path for you to learn the basics (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc) of photography.
11-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 for k-x / k-r, be sure to check them out (and ask more as needed, as it says on the forum top page the crowd here is full of opinions, most of the time well informed ones too :-)
11-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter

The K7 will do you just fine. Here's a few picts indoors with on camera flash and a landscape.

Attached Images

11-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I personally hate all built in flashes on dSLRs. With them, I always get unwanted reflections, blown out features, and usually a general reddish tint to skin tones. There are things that can be done, little gadgets you can use to diffuse the flash, etc but, if you really want to take photos indoors, of people, consider a shoe mounted flash. You'll get much greater control.

As to your camera choice, The K7 would serve you quite well. It's a camera that you can use in fully automatic the camera does everything, or fully manual, You do everything and anywhere in between. As for samples, start here for mine..

Flickr: Rolleiman2007's Photostream

Anything with the first 2 characters of K7 was taken with my (now someone else's) K7.

11-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

To be frank if you want scene modes, you should get a camera that has them. The K-7 does not, it's the sort of camera I guess where you're expected to know a bit about how scenes should be shot to your own personal preferences.

I recommend the K-r or K-x.
11-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Don't use scene modes in difficult situations; the camera will more than likely take the wrong decisions. Learn about exposure.

What was the camera that ruined your shots?