Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #46
Veteran Member

I'm curious if anyone has tested this with a K-7 using the original firmware.

I'd almost bet that this tethering code was adding in a firmware update without anyone knowing.

12-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
I'd almost bet that this tethering code was adding in a firmware update without anyone knowing.
I don't think so. More likely Pentax has been using the respective firmware code internally for some automated tests and calibration all along.
12-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #48
P12

Photos: Albums
Just downloaded and installed on my Lenovo netbook. Windows XP 32bit Service Pack 3.

Pentax K-x

Works great. WOOO HOOOO

Can't see all the shutter button. Can't access all the functions but loving it.
12-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by P12 Quote
Can't see all the shutter button. Can't access all the functions but loving it.
My netbook display can be set so that the XP desktop area is much larger than what can be shown on the physical panel and the shown area scrolls around when mouse is moved to the border. This works surprisingly well with programs that assume a minimum display size and consequently have controls that don't fit this smaller display.

12-19-2010, 03:28 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't think so. More likely Pentax has been using the respective firmware code internally for some automated tests and calibration all along.
Possibly, but it'd still be interesting to see.

Considering they have effectively officially announced remote control for the 645D with new P-tax software it is quite possibly they have secretively put it into newer firmwares.
12-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #51
P12

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
My netbook display can be set so that the XP desktop area is much larger than what can be shown on the physical panel and the shown area scrolls around when mouse is moved to the border. This works surprisingly well with programs that assume a minimum display size and consequently have controls that don't fit this smaller display.
My Lenovo is locked. Something about the chipset the Lenovo uses. I'm pondering running Ubuntu on it. It may work better. But there is a program for work that I need to use on it that I don't know if it will run on Ubuntu.
12-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Just installed, and it works beautifully on my K-7 for the limited testing I've done so far. I took a few pictures with and without flash, including one bulb exposure (and even that worked properly, triggering the shutter for as long as I held down the mouse button).

A few interesting things. You can enable the camera's info displays, including the level display, and also browse menus -- all while tethered. For me, the camera's display locks up when I make settings changes etc., after which the camera has to be power-cycled to get it back. If that quirk can be figured out, though, then you can leave the display active to make settings changes on the camera *or* the PC. Settings changes made on the camera body appear pretty much instantly in the program's display, including turning the Mode dial (which correctly enables / disables remote control of shutter speed / aperture depending on the current mode).

Some settings are shown in the program, but don't (yet) let me change them directly -- only from the camera body. These include flash, white balance, picture mode (at least, I'm guessing that's what 'autopict' is), drive mode, and AE lock. I can control shutter, aperture, ISO, exposure compensation, and file type from the computer, and can trigger AF / shutter operations. Haven't tried the green button yet but it shows active, so I can probably use that too.

Didn't get any lockups of the program itself in my usage, the only real quirk is the camera's LCD display locking up, and that I can't control things like white balance remotely (yet).

All in all, I am very impressed. Here's hoping we can get the control language documented thoroughly, so others can implement third party remote control software on other operating systems, or to interface with programs such as Lightroom, etc.

12-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Another new beta is out, not had time to try it myself. v0.3.2 adds K10D and K200D support, fixes a few problems, and clears buttons that don't yet work.
12-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Possibly, but it'd still be interesting to see.

Considering they have effectively officially announced remote control for the 645D with new P-tax software it is quite possibly they have secretively put it into newer firmwares.
Wait, what? What did I miss? How did the effectively announce tethering for the 645D? That's good news. I hope they roll it out for the K-5 as well.
12-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Wait, what? What did I miss? How did the effectively announce tethering for the 645D? That's good news. I hope they roll it out for the K-5 as well.
645D : Products : PENTAX

The translation to English seems to have reversed its intent, but this is believed to mean tethering is coming for the 645D:

"A remote-access application will soon to be added to this software, allowing you to control your PC from a distance using the 645D."

I think Christopher M.W.T. was first to point this out, last October...
12-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Sweet. I've always wanted to control my PC with my 645D!

Wait, I have neither a PC, nor a 645D. Do you think they are using PC as a generic term, or will this not be for Mac platforms?
12-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Sweet. I've always wanted to control my PC with my 645D!

Wait, I have neither a PC, nor a 645D. Do you think they are using PC as a generic term, or will this not be for Mac platforms?
No way of knowing. Given that they couldn't translate which direction the control travels, I'm fairly sure any subtlety about specific platforms wouldn't have made it across.
12-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #58

Photos: Gallery
Possibilities could open up!!

If the shutter and AF function can be controlled by this program (PK_Tether) via the USB connection, wouldn't it be possible to also make a device that connects to the camera's USB port and works as a wired remote shutter? I know a lot of folks would prefer this over the IR remote for several reasons.

Most likely it would even be possible to use an Arduino and make a pretty awesome self contained intervalometer, remote shutter, light/sound/impact sensor all-in-one device that would connect to the k-x (or any other Pentax without a 2.5mm TRS connector jack) via the supplied USB cable. Does any of you have a clear idea of whether this is possible or not and why?

I'd like to take a look at the source code for PK_tether and see if I can figure out a way to make an Arduino release the shutter via USB cable. If I could figure that out it wouldn't take me too long to add all those functions to the Arduino. I searched through Tomaszcos' website but couldn't find the link to the source code (if it's available)

Any thoughts?
12-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidF Quote
Does any of you have a clear idea of whether this is possible or not and why?
If the PC can do it so can another USB host. Another convenient proto board to use could be this: Atmel Products - AVR Solutions - AT90USBKEY.
12-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #60

Photos: Gallery
It's been done with an Arduino, just not with a Pentax. See this article here However, the only difference is the command codes (which Tomaszcos has evidently deciphered already), so, setting this up for a Pentax DSLR shouldn't be too hard. The only inconvenience I can see is that, due to the arduino's limited memory capacity, it may not be possible to make ir support all pentax cameras with the same code. But maybe it would. In any case, I'd be willing to give this a shot if I could theoretically figure out how to code it. I already have the Arduino, the required USB host shield sells for $24.95.

With my Pentax *ist D I had managed to use the Arduino in order to set off the shutter when a laser beam was interrupted. Also, since Remote Assistant didn't work on OS X 10.4, I had managed to "Pseudo Tether" my istD with the arduino connected via USB to my Macbook and the *ist D's 2.5mm shutter control wired to the arduino. I would have the camera take a picture when my Mac's iSight camera detected movement (awesome for getting shots of birds in flight). With the device described in the link above something very similar could be done for a pentax k-x or any other without a 2.5mm jack, but even better: without the need of a computer connected to the camera.

Last edited by DavidF; 12-28-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Added paragraph