Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 01:15 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photochimp Quote
Has anyone gotten this working with a k-r yet?
I got in contact with the developer about a month ago and he has sent me a updated version of PK_Tether which worked with my new K-r. Although not all 100% functions of the program were supported. I could do the shot and change main parameters. The older K-x was supported 100% right away.

Last week I received an updated version which now also covers all functions to the K-r. I am very happy with this development and have already made a donation.

cheers,
d

12-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #32
Veteran Member

New beta release is out today, and listed as supporting the K20D, K-7, K-x, K-r, and K-5 for the following:

- set camera parameters like: shutter speed, aperture, ISO, image format and others
- remote release shutter
- save photos directly on computers hard drive
- periodically release shooter for time-lapse photography - this functionality not work well so now.

(quoted from the author's website.)
12-14-2010, 12:45 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
New beta release is out today, and listed as supporting the K20D, K-7, K-x, K-r, and K-5 for the following:

- set camera parameters like: shutter speed, aperture, ISO, image format and others
- remote release shutter
- save photos directly on computers hard drive
- periodically release shooter for time-lapse photography - this functionality not work well so now.

(quoted from the author's website.)
It seems like my version from last week is a pre-release of the 0.3
Works very well.
12-14-2010, 05:11 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Oh **** me....works awesome with my K-7.

Not perfect but damn this is great!

12-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #35

Very nice! I tried the 0.3 version with my K-7 + DA35mm ltd. Shutter works! Autofocus works! ISO works! Shuttertime works! aperture works! file format works!

Saving is also easy, and it loads images very quickly. Only thing was that intervalometer function didn't work (author said it in the description that it is not finished so it is not a fault). Also small bugs and crashes but it is 0.3 release!

I would say that this program is looking awesome for a 0.3 release! big thanks for creator!

-Jaitas
12-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #36
Veteran Member

hrmmm does not work for me just never detects camera.
12-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #37

Well it works pretty good for me and my K7 - hangs about even 20th shot, but that might just be my USB router (it has caused other problems).

WerTicus - check your USB Connection on the camera menu. Is it MSC or PTP? I have mine as MSC.

12-16-2010, 01:36 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Hangs sporadically for me to.

I found its easy to crap if you take a whole lot of images imediately one after the after.

Oh well, not perfect but almost....I'd love to know how the programmer actually figured out how to make this all work and why he has achieved but Pentax couldn't?

Ive emailed a link about this tethering program to CR Kennedy Australia mentioned it on twitter.
12-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Hangs sporadically for me to.

I found its easy to crap if you take a whole lot of images imediately one after the after.

Oh well, not perfect but almost....I'd love to know how the programmer actually figured out how to make this all work and why he has achieved but Pentax couldn't?
They could, if they wanted to. There has to be something in the firmware to make
it work so pentax simply doesn't write any programs because they don't want to/costs to much?
12-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone have trouble setting the ISO in manual mode with the PK_Tether? Everything works on my Kx except I cannot change the ISO in manual mode. Great program though!
12-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #41

Excellent program!

My only dream that remains is to have the preview on the computer screen. It would be too nice! I wonder if it is possible.
12-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LucVer Quote
Excellent program!

My only dream that remains is to have the preview on the computer screen. It would be too nice! I wonder if it is possible.
Yeah, it would be excellent if it were possible, i imagine that USB2 couldn't likely handle the bandwidth of the HD video in realtime, but it would be so nice if we could get a 320-240 Liveview on my tablet, i could do some cool things with that.
12-18-2010, 01:40 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
Yeah, it would be excellent if it were possible, i imagine that USB2 couldn't likely handle the bandwidth of the HD video in realtime, but it would be so nice if we could get a 320-240 Liveview on my tablet, i could do some cool things with that.
USB 2 is definitely capable of the bandwidth necessary for even Full HD video in real time, so long as it's appropriately compressed, and the bus isn't too busy with other devices. I've got a USB 2, 1,920 x 1,080 pixel, 30 frames-per-second webcam right here on my desk. :-)

Now, that's not to say that Pentax's DSLRs have the horsepower required to capture, compress, *and* stream even 720p in real time, nor that they have the required functionality to do so in firmware. (I'm not certain offhand, but Pentax haven't offered a live tethered preview in any model to date, have they?)

Mind you, I'd love to be proven wrong. I didn't figure they'd left the tethering functionality in the K-7 and K-x's firmware, since nobody had managed to access it until this program appeared out of the blue. I'm nothing if not fallible, and sometimes that's to my own advantage. ;-)
12-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #44

Photos: Gallery
Another option, although not entirely tethering, is to use the AV Cable (I-AVC7).

I have used this cable connected to my flat screen LCD TV when taking pictures of friends at my house for them to see a preview of the image after it is shot.

When taking pictures everything that is on the K-X LCD is then displayed on the TV, so when adjusting your exposure you have to look at the TV to see it, not sure if this can be configured to show on both.

I have a portable battery powered LCD TV as well so I have used this on the Field to zoom in and ensure the pictures are sharp.

I have not tried with videos. I believe there are some USB to Video adapters so it would be interesting to see if this would allow inmediate preview of the images on your computer.

Also I saw a Photographer at the Mall the other day taking Santa pictures and was doing the same thing with his camera and had a TV Monitor so that the Parents could see the picture preview (i think he had his setting to like 7 seconds or so) after it was shot.
12-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #45

I don't think it's necessary to have full HD preview. I believe that is enough to have a lower resolution to help us in composition.