Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K20d and Remote control F

.. hey guys,
I have been wondering for a few days now, since I've had the remote for a while and like to use it in Bulb mode for night scenes and auroras..
.. but I was wondering if it's possible to use the remote in a "double push" setting; push to open, push again to close the shutter..
.. thought I read it somewhere, either in the manual or somewhere else, that it was possible (maybe not with the k20, but hope so)
have been trying to find that menu but no luck.. is this not possible then ? :S

11-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does not seem to be an option with my K10d. Perhaps it was introduced with the K-7 body.
11-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't recall seeing that setting.
11-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It is not an option on the K10D, but it is an option on the K7. I don't know if the K20D has it as an option or not.

12-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyjayice Quote
.. hey guys,
I have been wondering for a few days now, since I've had the remote for a while and like to use it in Bulb mode for night scenes and auroras..
.. but I was wondering if it's possible to use the remote in a "double push" setting; push to open, push again to close the shutter..
.. thought I read it somewhere, either in the manual or somewhere else, that it was possible (maybe not with the k20, but hope so)
have been trying to find that menu but no luck.. is this not possible then ? :S
Good news! Bad news

The K20D will hold its shutter open in bulb mode using the remote (F); but for only as long as you keep pushing the button down on the remote. So its not as nice as using a wired remote that has a lock for the trigger. But it is possible as the K20D gives you two settings in bulb mode for use with the remote. First is instant shutter open, second is with the 3 second delay. With either you have to keep holding the button down until you want to close the shutter than release the button.

Tested by me and my K20D. I have used in this way and just double checked.
12-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Forum Member

you will want to carry a clothes pin or small A-clamp if you want to keep the button pressed for long exposures. I use one all the time with the remote f and my k20d.

It is a pain in the rear to have to hold down the danged button.

Or you can buy a wired locking remote for whatever, probably about $50 these days.
12-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The Kx has this double push option. If it does not say in the K20's manual then there is no option for that.

12-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #8

very helpful