Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-11-2010, 04:24 AM   #16
wll
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Dave, at that great price I'm thinking about getting one.

Can you post a picture showing the grip and the camera together as I want to see if the texture matches well together.

Does the grip look like just a cheap add on or does it go well with the camera (if you know what I mean).

Thank Dave.

wll

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
I received the grip today and is very nice for the price. It lacks the rubberized skin on the inner grip area of the oem version, but everything else is functional. The shutter button has a longer stroke then the one on the body, but the auto focus detente is positive. Its main weakness in my opinion is due to poor ergonomics by Pentax. In the vertical position it lacks the comfortable shape of the body grip. Travor should have tried to improve on the oem grip, instead of just copying it. The thing is heavy at 10.4 oz. with a battery and SD card.

Dave

12-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I received the grip today and is very nice for the price. It lacks the rubberized skin on the inner grip area of the oem version, but everything else is functional. The shutter button has a longer stroke then the one on the body, but the auto focus detente is positive. Its main weakness in my opinion is due to poor ergonomics by Pentax. In the vertical position it lacks the comfortable shape of the body grip. Travor should have tried to improve on the oem grip, instead of just copying it. The thing is heavy at 10.4 oz. with a battery and SD card.

Dave

Dave, I think I have to disagree on a couple of points. First, I never noticed the longer throw on the shutter release button. Now that you mention it, I can see that it is just a tad longer. Actually, I think I like the longer throw better than the short throw on the camera's button. With the camera button, I find myself doing a full-press, when I intended to only do a half-press to focus and arm the SR. With the grip button, I feel like I'm less likely to do that.

I also disagree about the comfort of the grip. Maybe you and I just have different sized hands, but I find the grip, in portrait mode, to be very comfortable. My second finger fits into the curve of the grip as it curves up to meet the handgrip of the body. While I usually support the weight of the camera with my left hand, I can easily and comfortably support it in my right hand, on that second finger. To me, its just like the bulge under the shutter release button. When in landscape mode, my second finger fits under that bulge and can support the camera.

You're right about the lack of rubberized material on the grip. Again, though, I never noticed it until you pointed it out. While it is easy to see the difference, I don't think it stands out, unless you look for it. From two feet away, its hard to tell the difference. I think that the grip surface may be marginally more slippery than the body. I think if my hands were wet, and I didn't pay close attention, there is a small possibility that I might drop the whole assembly (in which case, I would repair to the nearest bridge and jump off). I don't see this as a very likely scenario, though.
12-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote

Can you post a picture showing the grip and the camera together as I want to see if the texture matches well together.

Does the grip look like just a cheap add on or does it go well with the camera (if you know what I mean).

Thank Dave.

wll
I don't have a picture handy, but I don't think that the Travor grip on my K10D looks cheap at all. As Dave pointed out, the grip lacks the rubberized covering material that the body has. If you look closely, it is easy to tell the difference, but the black color matches perfectly and, from two feet away, I am hard pressed to see the difference.

At least on my copy, the grip fits the camera perfectly. There are no gaps or misaligned joints.
12-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote

Does the grip look like just a cheap add on or does it go well with the camera (if you know what I mean). Thank Dave.wll

Here is a shot of the K20D Travor grip combo. They look great to me. It really helps when using long lenses. I just put my Fish-eye Takumar on to eliminate any shadows. The nice thing about owning a couple years old camera is that all of the accessories are cheaper. It fits my budget much better. I bet that you are wondering what the scotch tape on the mirror housing is for, right?

Dave

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
C5050Z  Photo 
12-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #20
wll
Veteran Member

Dave,

Thank you very much, it looks nice :- )

wll

Here is a shot of the K20D Travor grip combo. They look great to me. It really helps when using long lenses. I just put my Fish-eye Takumar on to eliminate any shadows. The nice thing about owning a couple years old camera is that all of the accessories are cheaper. It fits my budget much better. I bet that you are wondering what the scotch tape on the mirror housing is for, right?

Dave
12-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #21

Just receieved my grip today. Looks fine but definitely not as nice as the OEM version (but for $30 I can't complain). Now I need to get a few more batteries.
Any recommended 3rd party batteries to consider? I see one on ebay for $8 includes shipping. Anyone try these out?
Battery of Pentax SLRK10 K10D K20D D-Li50/NP400 DLi50 - eBay (item 190385843643 end time Dec-27-10 23:13:56 PST)
12-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
Just receieved my grip today. Looks fine but definitely not as nice as the OEM version (but for $30 I can't complain). Now I need to get a few more batteries.
Any recommended 3rd party batteries to consider? I see one on ebay for $8 includes shipping. Anyone try these out?
Battery of Pentax SLRK10 K10D K20D D-Li50/NP400 DLi50 - eBay (item 190385843643 end time Dec-27-10 23:13:56 PST)
I got the one from Phottix. Seems to be as good as the OEM one. It only costs $9
or so.

12-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone once suggested to me to be cautious of sellers in countries offering stupid cheap items for sale as this may be a way for them to grab onto your credit card number and collect other unauthorized charges. It's a good idea to check your card statement.
I realize that some companies offer accessories for a certain price and some competing company do certain things to deliver similar accessories for considerably less money but be careful.
12-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Someone once suggested to me to be cautious of sellers in countries offering stupid cheap items for sale as this may be a way for them to grab onto your credit card number and collect other unauthorized charges. It's a good idea to check your card statement.
I realize that some companies offer accessories for a certain price and some competing company do certain things to deliver similar accessories for considerably less money but be careful.
Aren't we paying mostly through PayPal these days?
03-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #25

I'm still waiting for my grip. I allowed plenty of time, other side of the planet, Christmas hols and so on. Then I realised that I'd outwaited the time limit on complaints through ebay. I'm out twenty quid, he won't answer emails and I don't seem to be able to do anything about it. Just to warn anyone else, his name is Tony Zhang, trading title tonyzhang888, the email address is tony2008bj@hotmail.com.

Just to rub it in, he's now listed as "not a registered user".
03-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
I'm still waiting for my grip. I allowed plenty of time, other side of the planet, Christmas hols and so on. Then I realised that I'd outwaited the time limit on complaints through ebay. I'm out twenty quid, he won't answer emails and I don't seem to be able to do anything about it. Just to warn anyone else, his name is Tony Zhang, trading title tonyzhang888, the email address is tony2008bj@hotmail.com.

Just to rub it in, he's now listed as "not a registered user".
Damn that Tony Zhang! I say the next person who wants to sell their battery grip, sell to The Jannie for what he paid on ebay! Who is with me?!

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 03-01-2011 at 01:45 PM.
03-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #27

Eyup, Matt, to quote The Who - "I'm a boy, I'm a boy, I'm a boy!"
03-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
Eyup, Matt, to quote The Who - "I'm a boy, I'm a boy, I'm a boy!"
Fixed.
03-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #29
Forum Member

Get a grip, all of you!