Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-29-2010, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Travor grip for K20D/K10D

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,
I just ordered a grip for my newly acquired used K20D. I have a Travor grip for my K100D super and it has served me well for over two years. So I took the plunge when I saw one for the K20D at a bargain price. Only $29.70 shipped to my house, WOW! Here is the link, if interested. I will update the thread after I recieve it and spend some time with it.

Dave

Battery Grip for Pentax K20D K10D replace D-BG2 - eBay (item 220391592718 end time Dec-27-10 17:33:06 PST)

12-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, what a deal! Now it's gone to 10% off, too!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #3

Thank you

for the link. I won't use it all the time but at that price I couldn't resist it!
12-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That is a great deal for a grip. I have one of these grips and although it worked fine I found the grip to have a "cheap" feel to it and the plastic quite slippery. I got a genuine pentax grip from the marketplace and the comparison between the two is like night and day.

12-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
That is a great deal for a grip. I have one of these grips and although it worked fine I found the grip to have a "cheap" feel to it and the plastic quite slippery. I got a genuine pentax grip from the marketplace and the comparison between the two is like night and day.
+1

My Trevor grip is now having its permanent place in my closet.
12-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I know the Travor grip does not have seals like the Pentax but can you suggest comparisons of real experience of noticable power loss in cold weather from either grips? I think I have noticed that in less than 40 degrees F weather a partially depleted battery will only last about 30 minutes inside my Travor grip powering the body. This is completly undocumented of course.
12-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I Like my Travor Grip

My son gave me the Travor grip for my K10D last Christmas. So far, it has performed just fine. I do not have a genuine Pentax grip to compare it to, but I don't find the plastic to be slippery. I have looked at Pentax grips, and I can see that the molded-in pattern on the genuine one is deeper than on the Travor, but not by much.

The grip fits my K10D perfectly, and all the functions work as they should. I don't care all that much about weather sealing on the grip, so that's not an issue for me.

The Travor provides all the same features, except weather sealing, as the Pentax grip: a second battery, a spare SD card storage slot, Remote F storage slot, and all the same buttons and dials.

12-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
My son gave me the Travor grip for my K10D last Christmas. So far, it has performed just fine. I do not have a genuine Pentax grip to compare it to, but I don't find the plastic to be slippery. I have looked at Pentax grips, and I can see that the molded-in pattern on the genuine one is deeper than on the Travor, but not by much.

The grip fits my K10D perfectly, and all the functions work as they should. I don't care all that much about weather sealing on the grip, so that's not an issue for me.

The Travor provides all the same features, except weather sealing, as the Pentax grip: a second battery, a spare SD card storage slot, Remote F storage slot, and all the same buttons and dials.
noblepa,
Thank you for the positive review. If weather sealing is the only real issue, a simple bead of silcon sealant around the connector base on the grip would cure that issue. I thought that I was reading a Nikon forum for a minute. I always thought that brand name wasn't such a big deal. Bang for the buck is my goal with my budget.

Dave
12-04-2010, 02:44 AM   #9

I'd thought of silicone, too.

Then a simpler answer popped up - if it's wet, don't use the grip!
12-04-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
NKK
Inactive Account

I have it too for my K10D, it's really nice and have all the features mentioned. But you have to be realistic and say that it don't even get close to the quality of the original one. But if you can live with that, its soooo nice to get a grip for the Camera
I really like mine, and as mentioned above, just leave the grip home if i looks like heavy rain outside
12-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I also found that the shutter release button was hard to press. At times I really had to come onto the button just for it too work but that could have just been a problem with that grip alone.
12-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I also found that the shutter release button was hard to press. At times I really had to come onto the button just for it too work but that could have just been a problem with that grip alone.
Paul, my Travor unit has the same problem. The shutter release button is way too hard to press. That's the main reason why I went for an OEM grip instead.
12-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
Forum Member

I did have the shutter release problem with my Phottix grip (came from Travor, so I guess it's the same one), and the rear e-dial was very erratic, so I was about to throw it in the bin.

Then I cleaned the contacts on the grip and the camera and when I reattached it I didn't over tighten it - it now works absolutely perfectly.

As for battery consumption, difficult to say, I use it mostly on the K20D and that has always eaten battery power at an alarming rate - the K10D runs almost for ever on one charge.
12-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
Then a simpler answer popped up - if it's wet, don't use the grip!
We don't get a lot of rain here in south Texas, besides, my lenses aren't WR either.

Dave
12-09-2010, 12:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thoughts on Travor grip

I received the grip today and is very nice for the price. It lacks the rubberized skin on the inner grip area of the oem version, but everything else is functional. The shutter button has a longer stroke then the one on the body, but the auto focus detente is positive. Its main weakness in my opinion is due to poor ergonomics by Pentax. In the vertical position it lacks the comfortable shape of the body grip. Travor should have tried to improve on the oem grip, instead of just copying it. The thing is heavy at 10.4 oz. with a battery and SD card.

Dave