Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Question about camera metering?? (k7/kr)

Hi,

I posted this in the other forum too figured would try here too:

Was wondering about the difference in camera metering. Both the kr and Kx have 16 segment metering while the k7 uses 77 segment metering. Would that difference negate some of the sensor advantages of the other cameras?? Meaning wouldn't the exposures be more accurate in general with the k7? I currently own a k7 and Kx and am not sure if it's in my head but feel like the k7 meters more accurately. I have been considering for a while selling the k7 for a kr for the gains in af speed and high iso, 2 things that are important to me and sometimes frustrate me with the k7. I didn't mention the k5, which I'm sure is great at just about everything but is unfortunately out of my budget. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks everyone!

Rick

11-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RpM Quote
Hi,

I posted this in the other forum too figured would try here too:

Was wondering about the difference in camera metering. Both the kr and Kx have 16 segment metering while the k7 uses 77 segment metering. Would that difference negate some of the sensor advantages of the other cameras?? Meaning wouldn't the exposures be more accurate in general with the k7? I currently own a k7 and Kx and am not sure if it's in my head but feel like the k7 meters more accurately. I have been considering for a while selling the k7 for a kr for the gains in af speed and high iso, 2 things that are important to me and sometimes frustrate me with the k7. I didn't mention the k5, which I'm sure is great at just about everything but is unfortunately out of my budget. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks everyone!

Rick
I think there are differences between correct metering, and evaluating complexly lit scenes, and shooting them correctly.

I am quite certain all modern cameras will meter very close to the same when looking at a uniformly lit surface, therefore, the number of sensors is totally irrelevant to "correct" metering. In ffact I use spot metering for complex scenes, therefore one could argue my K7 has 76 too many sensors.

As for metering outweighing sensor performance, again I think you are confusing getting it right, with being able to save a shot in the post processing. better sensors obviously would allow to save more shots in PP, but if you get it right at the onset, it does not matter.

Having said that, I do note that when i use the K7 and compare to the K10 which has 11 segments, and complex scenes, both in matrix mode, the K7 usually evaluates the scene better. That does not gaurantee that it is "correct" i.e. what I want, but usually closer to what I may want than the K10D.

More sensors, plus some intelligent programming, probably within the scene modes, would help. I have not tried to figure out how correct all the modes are, relitive to matrix metering on the K7