Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Homemade K-7 focusing screen ?

Hi Guys,
Homemade as in cutting down an M Pentax screen
Has anyone done it, how did it work out ?
I have had good success doing it on the K100D.
Katzeye slightly out of my budget and all the rest seem a bit variable.
Cheers
Pete

Last edited by Transit; 12-01-2010 at 10:22 PM.
12-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I was also wondering.

I have a bunch of Nikon K3 Focusing screens lying around.

How do you "cut" those full frame focusing screens? They also seem to be much much thicker than my k-x focusing screen.
12-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
dibdibdib.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/topic/size-of-k100d-focus-screeen-question-12996 I did it with a sander
I saw a guy do it by scoring the lines then snapping off the waste.
I split one screen so a bit wary of how brittle they can get
Thickness might be an issue
12-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

If you've done it before for the K100D why not try for the K7 too?
You could also try the screen you've made for the K100D and see if it fits on the K7.

QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
I was also wondering.

I have a bunch of Nikon K3 Focusing screens lying around.

How do you "cut" those full frame focusing screens? They also seem to be much much thicker than my k-x focusing screen.
I've done'it for my KX using one Nikon screen.
As you've noticed they're much thicker than the original one, but focus is spot on (at least on mine body/focusingscreen combo) without using the original shim. (i mean the thickness of the nikon screen was equal to the stock screen + shim).

To cut it i putted the stock screen on top of the nikon and marked the border with a pen.
Then i've used a cutter with a ruler on the guided lines created before (i repeated the process several time so that i could go as deep as possible with the cutter).
The last step was using scissors for the final cut, and sandpaper to refine the edges.

I suppose that something like the Dremel would be better than the tools i've used

anyway here's a link to the discussion (with some pics and feedback on the cutted screen)
12-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I haven't whipped out the K-7 screen to put the calipers on it yet. I had presumed they were differant sizes.
cheers
Pete

QuoteOriginally posted by matam Quote
You could also try the screen you've made for the K100D and see if it fits on the K7.

As you've noticed they're much thicker than the original one, but focus is spot on (at least on mine body/focusingscreen combo) without using the original shim. (i mean the thickness of the nikon screen was equal to the stock screen + shim).

To cut it i putted the stock screen on top of the nikon and marked the border with a pen.
Then i've used a cutter with a ruler on the guided lines created before (i repeated the process several time so that i could go as deep as possible with the cutter).
The last step was using scissors for the final cut, and sandpaper to refine the edges.

I suppose that something like the Dremel would be better than the tools i've used

anyway here's a link to the discussion (with some pics and feedback on the cutted screen)

12-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to cut down a ZX-M screen from a parts camera I ended up with. As the most recent Pentax split-prism screen, I figured it was the least likely to have metering issues, etc. I know someone on this forum cut down one of these and had excellent results.
12-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
Forum Member

stupid newbie question here...

Whats wrong with the focusing screen the camera came with? What are you gaining by doing this?
12-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOsOProject Quote

Whats wrong with the focusing screen the camera came with? What are you gaining by doing this?
The replacement screen has a split image range finder and maybe a micro prism collar for manual focusing. The image is also focused on the penta prism top side of the screen. This places the screen against the penta prism lower frame. So the thickness of the screen only effects how tight the fit is when the frame is closed. My K100D super has a 0.020" U shaped shim on the top of the screen. I believe that the models with a penta prism have a larger screen then the penta mirror cameras, due to a larger viewing area. I may put a cut down Nikon or Canon screen in my K20D. The Olympus OM screen worked well in my K100Ds.

Dave
12-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Nothing is "wrong" with the KX stock screen.

With the Nikon screen adapted to pentax i gain the split and the microprism collar, they're very good aid for manual focus.
In addition to the above the stock screen can't visualize difference in DOF when you have a lens faster than f2.8 while the adapted nikon screen was able to show those differences even at f1.4.
As i wrote before, the DOF preview on the nikon screen is the same as the one i get when using liveview.
12-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by matam Quote

I have a Dremel, but i'm not sure if I can cut the screen with precision using it. I currently have the brown/maroon carbide cutting discs, but I don't have very steady hands...

Did you use a standard cutter, with replaceable blades? As in the one we use for school projects to cut cardboards?

So basically this is what I should do:
1. Take out the stock focusing screen, trace its outline on the Nikon K3 focusing screen using a pen
2. Cut the Nikon K3 using whatever means necessary
3. Take out the K-x focusing screen shim
4. Insert the cut K3 screen. I should lock in place.
12-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster

There are no stupid questions
The other guys explained it !
It is great to manually focus and watch the split image in the viewfinder line up.
Pete
12-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

brilliant idea. my wife has a stained glass studio....I wonder if I could use her wet grinder to shape one out.....
12-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have a Dremel, but i'm not sure if I can cut the screen with precision using it. I currently have the brown/maroon carbide cutting discs, but I don't have very steady hands...
Woo, steady there with the artillery
I thought I was agricultural with the 4in belt sander

Did you use a standard cutter, with replaceable blades? As in the one we use for school projects to cut cardboards?
Easily I imagine, the acrylic isn't very hard.

So basically this is what I should do:
1. Take out the stock focusing screen, trace its outline on the Nikon K3 focusing screen using a pen
2. Cut the Nikon K3 using whatever means necessary etc
Love that 'using whatever means necessary'

I tend to be over careful handling them. On'y picked up by the edge, only put down on lens tissue. Well taped up before cutting/grinding/chewing
Pete