Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
LOL thanks. Perhaps I'll use a cardboard cutter. I picture the dremel will not only cut, but melt the whole thing hehe.

I have picked up my specimens from the old house already:

1. Nikon F3 Type B
2. Nikon FA/FE2 Type B2

Stuff that i'll be getting from the bookstore:

- Standard cutter (how about exacto knife?)
- Masking tape
- Mechanical pencil

Can't wait to get off from work!

12-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
Did you use a standard cutter, with replaceable blades? As in the one we use for school projects to cut cardboards?
Yes i did use a standard cutter.
For "pen" i meant a soft fine point permanent marker like the one that can write on cd/dvd.
When you cut the screen don't try to be 100% accurate, it's better to cut it a little less than required and then sand/grind down to the correct size.
Sorry, i forgot to mention to tape the screens before doing anything of the above (even when putting the two screens on top of each other, as they're very prone to smudge/scratches).
About the screen check in the discussion i linked before for wich Nikon screen i used, because there are several of it for different body and probably they aren't of the same thickness...i can only guarantee that will fit without the shim for the specific model i used (i'm not talking about the "type" but about the body model it was made for).
If you use a different one you may need to make shim for it (or buy it from Pentax), or it could be too thick and impossible to adapt.

p.s. "2. Cut the Nikon K3 using whatever means necessary" i would exclude the use of a chainsaw tough
12-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #18

guys i finally did it! I used a dremel! hehe. It was impossible for me to cut with a cutter, how the heck did you do it with a cutter?

The 1st 1, i ruined it. It was the Nikon FA/FE2, I was excited and very inaccurate. Anyway it back-focused. It was about as thin as the stock one, only a little bit thicker imo. Needed the shim.

The 2nd 1 was much better. It was the Nikon F3. NOT perfect at all because the prisim/split is NOT centered properly . It's a bit top-right position. This one doesnt need the shim, and with an autofocus lens, focuses correctly

I will plan for the 3rd one more properly.

Things I have learned:
- Use the SLOW rpm setting if you're using a dremel.
- Be careful with the focusing screen bracket. Mine got dislodged and it was a pain putting it back!
- Use tweezers that have a "soft" edge.
- Try to be as precise as possible with the measurements. It's bloody annoying for the prism circle not to be at the center of the viewfinder!

The blackout at f8 is also annoying. Perhaps I'll try to find a screen that doesnt have a split screen, BUT can see wider than F2.8

I have no choice but to make a new one and to make it as perfect as possible, because my stock focusing screen is now full of scratches due to getting taken out and in all the time!
12-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #19

Nikon FA/FE2 Type B2
- With stock shim
- Back-focuses

Nikon F3 Type B
- Shim must be removed
- You have to remove it from the brackets.
- A glass correction element is taped with the screen, has to be removed also of course
- Slight back-focus

Nikon FM3a Type K3
- My next project
- Hopefully, this does not back-focus

12-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

"Somewhere"

I have seen the exact dimensions to cut the screens down to fit the K10, but I can't for the life of me find them. If anyone has the link saved, please post it as I'd like to modify a screen without taking the K10's screen out just to measure it.

I have some old Praktica's in a box under my desk ( that I bought for the lenses and my wife doesn't know about ) and the focusing screens look very nice.
05-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hi
glad I found this thread. I am seriously thinking of replacing the screen of my K100D (and or my yet to arrive K-x). I am planning to give the job to a camera repair person than do it myself, and I have a few questions.

* Can an old screen from any of the manual Pentax bodies be used? Or have they been tried and a screen from Nikon found to be better/best suited?

* what is 'shim'?

Thanks in advance!