Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #31

Not seen it mentioned here so I would recommend "Photoscape". Its free and easy to use for a newbie. But most important if you scratch the surface there's plenty for the more experienced too.

12-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK. obviously I left out too much information in my original post. I have 2 computor's, a laptop runnung Windows Vista and a desktop with Windows 7. I plan on using the laptop for PP as it can travel with me plus it avoids conflict with my wife uses the desk top frequently.

I rate my photography skills as sophmorist, I know the basics and used to be a fairly good filn slr shooter but never delved in to film processing. My computor skills are adequate from a corporate world viewpoint. I spent 42 years in telecommunications and was involved with the internet for the last 10 years of my career. That said, I in no way a computor geek, I leave that to my sons and grandkids when I need help.

My PP goals have changed somewhat after this post and the valuable information and advice all of you responders have provided. I now recognize that my question was too simplistic and as UnknownVT pointed out there are many very experienced and knowlegeable photographers who can overwhem you with information. Also, Lowell Goudge made very clear the need to make clear ones experience, knowledge and distinct goal when asking for assistance.

I want software which will allow me to view and organize my work. I want to initially learn to do light editing, cropping, and minor exposure adjustment. Enough that I can avoid losing an important image because of over or under exposure, or white balance problems, etc. I want to spend most of my time learning to take advantage of the capability of my Kr.
12-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texoma Quote
My PP goals have changed somewhat after this post
I want software which will allow me to view and organize my work. I want to initially learn to do light editing, cropping, and minor exposure adjustment. Enough that I can avoid losing an important image because of over or under exposure, or white balance problems, etc. I want to spend most of my time learning to take advantage of the capability of my Kr.
Now you're talking....
Then start Free with Picasa (download from Picasa) -
which is as reviews and people have said is a good organizer and easy editor.

See how that goes -
you might find fairly quickly that you may want more ability to adjust/enhance/manipulate your photos - eg: the old dodge and burn in printing - ie: the ability to adjust out of balance lighting - when there was little one could do with adjusting the exposure at the taking stage.

But wait until you know what you need before investing in the next step - revisit this thread and see what else was recommended for you to try.

Just don't forget one of the very best RAW processing software is what you have already - the supplied Pentax DCU (Digital Camera Utility) - when you come to use it - just check with PentaxImaging.com to see if there has been an update for the K-r.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 12-05-2010 at 11:22 AM.
12-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
I found that I already have Picasa 2 on my laptop. Where it came from I have no idea. Is this the Picasa you were referring to? I did a search and foun Picasa 3. I will check these out to start with. Thanks!!!

12-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #35

Picasa is good but the only problem is it clogs up your c: drive with its database. And AFAIK there's no option to put it elsewhere
12-06-2010, 07:11 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Minun on Aperture 3, on kaikki tarvitava. Kelpaa muuten ammattilaisillekin.
12-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AstraNine Quote
Picasa is good but the only problem is it clogs up your c: drive with its database. And AFAIK there's no option to put it elsewhere

Be grateful if you can please explain about the Picasa database on C: -

This is what Picasa claims:

" Two things to know

The Picasa software provides a simple way to view, edit, and organize the photos on your computer. As you get started, there are two things you should always remember:

* Picasa does not store the photos on your computer.
When you open Picasa, it simply looks at the folders on your computer and displays the photos it finds. It displays the file types that you tell it to find, in the folders that you tell it to search.

* Your original photos are always preserved.
When using editing tools in Picasa, your original files are never touched. The photo edits you make are only viewable in Picasa until you decide to save your changes. Even then, Picasa creates a new version of the photo with your edits applied, leaving the original file totally preserved.
"

Thanks
12-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
I found the Picasa claims to be true. When I opened the Picasa 2 program the first thing it asked was did I want it to search the entire database to locate pictures or just the Documents and Picture files (I am using Windows Vista). Then it proceded to build a location file. I was able to pull up some old P&S pictures and I cropped a few and made some minor corrections for red eye and the like. Worked pretty well from what little I tried. It is very similar to the software that came with my old Canon Powershot G2. I need to dig deeper into its capabilities though.

12-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I found the Picasa claims to be true. When I opened the Picasa 2 program the first thing it asked was did I want it to search the entire database to locate pictures or just the Documents and Picture files (I am using Windows Vista). Then it proceded to build a location file. I was able to pull up some old P&S pictures and I cropped a few and made some minor corrections for red eye and the like. Worked pretty well from what little I tried. It is very similar to the software that came with my old Canon Powershot G2. I need to dig deeper into its capabilities though.
Cool!

If it seems to suit you,
then it is probably worth downloading the latest/current version 3.8 (it's free)
from Picasa.

Picasa 3: Free download from Google
12-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OK...
Does not change my answer :-)
12-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #41
Forum Member

Original Poster
Elements is definitely worth pursuing and the cost is reasonable. From what I've read it probably would more than meet my present goal to process my own images and print the worthy ones.
12-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Elements is definitely worth pursuing and the cost is reasonable. From what I've read it probably would more than meet my present goal to process my own images and print the worthy ones.
PS Elements 6 can be found legally for $12 shipped - BUT PSE6 can only accept up to ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) 5.6 - which understands DNG/RAW files but probably not the PEF files from the new K-r - even the latest ACR 6.2 still does not yet support PEF of the K-r.

To be able to use a future ACR version that supports the K-r - you'll probably need PS Elements 8 or the latest 9.

PSE 8 can be found for ~$50,
BUT PSE 9 is ~$63 shipped (but there may be a $20 rebate)........

Or a strategy would be to just get the $12 PSE6 and see if it's adequate -
and use the Pentax DCU to convert any RAW files.......
12-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a combo of Lightroom and a trial copy of Photoshops Elements. I love Lightroom for the ease of managing photos and Elements is one of the easiest programs I've used to date. I have GIMP and like it - but am have learned to prefer Elements over it. Just my 2c...