Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 04:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sensor Cleaning -- K100DS

Apart from the manual for my camera, I have not found a good explanation of how to clean the camera sensor. The Sensor Cleaning function cannot handle the amount that has accumulated during the past few years!

Is a blower sufficient to do the job? It seems that this would just "move" the dust somewhere else inside the camera, only to be redeposited on the sensor a little later.

If a liquid cleaning solution is best, which one is recommended and can you offer any tips for using it carefully? I'm a little nervous about touching the sensor with anything.

Thanks in advance for your help.

12-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Here is a website with a ton of information.

Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

I use the wet method with a DIY wand described in the link above.

Tim
12-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magmotif Quote
Apart from the manual for my camera, I have not found a good explanation of how to clean the camera sensor. The Sensor Cleaning function cannot handle the amount that has accumulated during the past few years!

Is a blower sufficient to do the job? It seems that this would just "move" the dust somewhere else inside the camera, only to be redeposited on the sensor a little later.

If a liquid cleaning solution is best, which one is recommended and can you offer any tips for using it carefully? I'm a little nervous about touching the sensor with anything.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Here are some previous threads on this subject which contain a good deal of input which would be hard to duplicate. The third thread is the longest:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/113313-dirty-sensor-begone.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/111067-sensor-clea...do-myself.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/105858-pentax-disa...-cleaning.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/111067-sensor-clea...do-myself.html

It is an interesting coincidence, because a friend just bought a K100DS off Ebay and sent me some of her first shots. We'll try methods involving air first. I'm always nervous about the wet cleaning, but this may be the only way with one this dirty.

This is a small crop from one of her first photos (full image below the crop). I've never seen a sensor this filthy. At first, I thought she had taken a shot of our balloon fiesta:

Last edited by GeneV; 12-02-2010 at 05:55 AM.
12-02-2010, 07:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the link -- this is a great source of info!

12-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
@GeneV -- thanks for these links... I did perform a search before posting my question, but these did not turn up. ???
12-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have performed sensor cleaning in a multi step approach.

For simple spec removal, I use a blower. (no brush attached as these tend to pick up skin oils if touched, and are generally unprotected and gather up all sorts of crap over their life in your kit bag.

If the dust does not come off, I use an Artic Butterfly, which is a specially designed brush, that comes with a protective cap. The brush is statically charged (by spinning it before use) and this gets more stubborn dust off the sensor.

If there is still a spot remaining, I use soft tissue (being careful not to touch it) around the end of a pencil or other similar probe. I breath lightly on the sensor, and then rub the spot very lightly with the tissue to remove the dust. the tissue dust and reminants are removed with a blower.

This has worked for very stubborn dust spots that were on my *istD.

I have only had to go to the third step once, on my *istD in 7 years.
12-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter

@GeneV -- thanks for these links... I did perform a search before posting my question, but these did not turn up. ???
You are welcome. Searching is sometimes quirky. I pulled those up by searching for the brand name of some of the cleaning products that were discussed in recent threads.
12-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Forum Member

I used the pentax oem sensor cleaning kit as found here--from adorama--and it worked great
Amazon.com: Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit; O-ICK1 - Pentax 39357: Electronics

12-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
Many thanks to all! You've very quickly provided exactly what I was looking for. Based upon the other posts (that I somehow missed) it seems that this type of info would be a useful "sticky".
12-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Many thanks to all! You've very quickly provided exactly what I was looking for. Based upon the other posts (that I somehow missed) it seems that this type of info would be a useful "sticky".
I've often suggested an FAQ with links to threads for common problems we have all faced.
12-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wrote about using the Pentax O-ICK1 sensor cleaning kit in 2008 on a K100DS.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/30901-k100d-sensor...tml#post278818

I believe this tool is used by Pentax techs if you send your camera in to be cleaned.

Since then I've also used it a few times on a K20D. The thing to understand is that you do not wipe the tool across the sensor - that could possibly scratch it.

1. You first clean the gummy plastic end of the tool by touching it down on a pad of sticky sheets (on part of a sheet).

2. Now you touch down on the surface of the sensor. You don't need to be overly delicate but don't be heavy handed about it either. The sensor can move a bit due to the SR mechanism so expect this.

3. Next lift the tool up (no wiping action) and touch it down on a different part of the sticky pad to transfer any grime to the pad.

4. Keep repeating steps 2-3.

You can check for sensor spots by stopping down to a small aperture (e.g. f/22) and shooting a clear sky or white sheet of paper.

Watch the YouTube video referred to in my original post to see the cleaning action.

This cheap sensor cleaning kit uses the same method:

http://www.getprice.com.au/Eviteo-AC01-Digital-SLR-Image-Sensor-Cleaning-Set...--38717518.htm

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 12-03-2010 at 02:51 PM.
12-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter

The cleaning I did for my friend required two sessions of blowing and two different liquids. My guess is that this body had never been cleaned in its 4 years.