Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
No point spraying contact cleaner. The shutter is a sealed self enclosed unit so it wouldn't have made any difference.
That button can be obtained from Pentax. It wasn't expensive but the part # isn't on the service manual so you will have to talk to the right guy for it. I have 2 myself but not sure if it's for K10D. The part # is 76030 T618. The button has to be placed precisely or the on/off switch might not work properly. Good luck.

12-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Whatever I did yesterday seems to have fixed the problem.

Was going to take some shots at the Botanic Garden, but it was raining, so I had to make do with some shots of gardenias in our garden outside my bedroom window.

I took nearly 100 shots - no problems with the shutter whatsoever. I think a piece of dirt must have been caught in the shutter, and the compressed air blew it away.

Here's some sample photos, taken on the DA70Ltd:

And these are on the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8:

12-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
PS - there will be no damage to the "weather seals" (rubber lining) by opening the top cover of the camera. The screws are not sealed in any way - they are just strategically positioned not to face upwards (apart from 1 screw, which has an O-ring to trap moisture from going into the camera).

So if anyone else encounters a similar problem, it only takes a few minutes to fix and avoids a potentially expensive repair at the service centre. No need to discharge the capacitor - that is only necessary if the flash unit is to be unsoldered from the top PCB. I realised that as soon as I opened it.

I have used the K10D lots of times in the rain, including heavy downpour with no issues (apart from fogging of the lenses when I was in Japan).

I don't even have weather sealed lenses. Regardless, my lenses still work fine.

I think I'll probably keep the K10D even after buying the K-5. I really like this camera, and apart from it being a bit too big and heavy for me, it is perfect (in terms of usability).
02-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #19

I having the same problem on my K-5