Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D shutter issue - easy to fix?

Lately, I have noticed I have an issue pressing the shutter halfway down, and then reframing.

The shutter has a tendency to be intermittent and I'll lose the focus lock, forcing me to refocus and reframe.

Sometimes I have to do this several times in order to get a shot.

Is this an easy problem to fix? Can I do it myself? Is there a way to open up the camera, and spray contact cleaner, or something?

I prefer not to send it in for repair, as I'm trying to save up to buy a K-5.

12-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like there might be something wrong with the button itself, and in this case it would have to be sent in I'd just wait it out and get the k5 when you're ready, as a k10 repair at this point is hardly even worth it.
12-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You can repair the K10D later as I did. It is still a good backup camera.
12-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Inactive Account

All of that or you have the camera set on AF-C (which does not hold focus as AF-S does for recomposing).

12-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Forum Member

A work around: Try using the AF button to focus - decouple the shutter release from the focussing
12-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I was hoping someone else have had a similar problem and managed to fix it by spraying contact cleaner on the shutter.

I had a similar problem on my laptop (the button in the trackpad was sticky) and managed to fix it using contact cleaner.

I am currently looking at the service manual. The top of the camera seems pretty easy to remove.

Do I need to discharge the capacitor if all I am doing is spraying contact cleaner?
12-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Thanks guys, I was hoping someone else have had a similar problem and managed to fix it by spraying contact cleaner on the shutter.

I had a similar problem on my laptop (the button in the trackpad was sticky) and managed to fix it using contact cleaner.

I am currently looking at the service manual. The top of the camera seems pretty easy to remove.

Do I need to discharge the capacitor if all I am doing is spraying contact cleaner?
I have a suggestion for you ..

... Don't .. just set the camera to autofocus only when you use the AF button on the back .. and then use the shutterbutton only as a shutterbutton ..
dismantling a complex electronic thing like a DSLR is not something you want to do if you don't have a clue what to expect .. .. you might end up not having a camera at all.. ..
12-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyjayice Quote
I have a suggestion for you ..

... Don't .. just set the camera to autofocus only when you use the AF button on the back .. and then use the shutterbutton only as a shutterbutton ..
dismantling a complex electronic thing like a DSLR is not something you want to do if you don't have a clue what to expect .. .. you might end up not having a camera at all.. ..
In this case, I think I would agree (and yes, you might want to discharge the flash cap just to avoid an accident). In the Custom menu, set AF by Press Half Way, to No and make sure the AF button is enabled for AF.

12-02-2010, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL - you guys are such pussies!

I've just done it - it only took a few minutes.

No need to remove the entire top cover. After removing the screws, I could lift the top cover partially to expose the shutter.

No point spraying contact cleaner. The shutter is a sealed self enclosed unit so it wouldn't have made any difference.

What I did do was used a pressurised air canister to blow around the shutter button and around the shutter itself. Then closed the top cover and screwed everything back in again.

After that, there seems to be less friction activating the shutter. I took several shots and there were no issues with the shutter releasing focus lock.

Will take the camera out for a shoot this weekend and see if the problem comes back.
12-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #10

You tell 'em Christine!

Mike
12-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
LOL - you guys are such pussies!
I've just done it - it only took a few minutes.
No need to remove the entire top cover. After removing the screws, I could lift the top cover partially to expose the shutter.
No point spraying contact cleaner. The shutter is a sealed self enclosed unit so it wouldn't have made any difference.
What I did do was used a pressurised air canister to blow around the shutter button and around the shutter itself. Then closed the top cover and screwed everything back in again.
After that, there seems to be less friction activating the shutter. I took several shots and there were no issues with the shutter releasing focus lock.

Will take the camera out for a shoot this weekend and see if the problem comes back.
I think I like her.
12-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #12
Inactive Account

You Did ask about discharging the capacitor......

12-03-2010, 02:03 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I think I like her.
.. I understand what you mean. .. I think I do too hehe... Dibs! ..
In my litle world of delicate electronics I would rarely find myself trying something like this atleast with stuff that I really really care about, but fixing a VCR or something mor like my K2.. thats something else..
let's hope this works out for you
12-03-2010, 04:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've done it with my grip, but wouldn't have considered doing it with my K10D. Mostly due to not wanting to damage the seals, but like you said, the camera I really care about and plan to keep for for some time to come.
12-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I think I like her.
+1 :-)