Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #1

NOOB : Toggle 'tween custom settings

Want to upgrade to D-SLR. Pentax Super K100 or K10 - Maybe Samsung twin.
like the in body shake reduction.
Question : I photo at the dogpark. Dogs are always moving from shadows to bright sunlight. Always wished there was a way I could cutomize at least two different exposure settings, especially exposure compensation - under.
Some switch or button on the exterior of the camera to switch quicky from one setting to the other and back again.
I've seen some point & shoot cameras that allow this -ONLY - in their preset ( not custom ) modes. The GREEN BUTTON I see reference to on the Pentax seems to just switch uou back to some auto mode - but explanations all over the web are far from clear about this .
Any help out there ?

Marty ( voicelit )

09-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hum,

The green button gives you the "optimal" exposure in various modes, depending upon the firmware release you are working with. See release notes. In 1.30 it sets P, Sv, TAv and M to a most reasonable value (I just tried all modes to check it).

However, there are various ways to attack your problem.
First of all you can use Spot or semi-Spot modes to keep the measuring on the dog all the time.

Second, there is bracketing. Bracketing is fast to turn on/off. Push the bracket button on the left and turn the front dial to select the bracket range. It is right at your fingertips. The K10D shoots pretty fast, so you should get a shot with the right exposure then.

And last, start shooting RAW, you'll get more dynamic range to correct final exposure problems in and play around with the new Adobe RAW editor. You will be surprised what you can achieve there.

- Bert
09-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If anything like this is a concern, you probably want the K10D, no the K100D. On the K10D, you can set a dial to be the EV compensation without needing awkwardly also hold down a +/- button. I think that's probably actually more useful than a preset in changing conditions.
09-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
... last, start shooting RAW, you'll get more dynamic range to correct final exposure problems in and play around with the new Adobe RAW editor. You will be surprised what you can achieve there.

- Bert
What do you mean by "Adboe RAW Editor"? Do you mean Photoshop CS3?

09-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
... last, start shooting RAW, you'll get more dynamic range to correct final exposure problems in and play around with the new Adobe RAW editor. You will be surprised what you can achieve there.

- Bert
What do you mean by "Adobe RAW Editor"? Do you mean Photoshop CS3?
09-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
If anything like this is a concern, you probably want the K10D, no the K100D. On the K10D, you can set a dial to be the EV compensation without needing awkwardly also hold down a +/- button. I think that's probably actually more useful than a preset in changing conditions.
IMO shooting in RAW with bracketing should work fine with the k100D.
I use the k100d and don't find it awkward to hold down the +/- button - at least after some practice.
09-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by voicelit Quote
Want to upgrade to D-SLR. Pentax Super K100 or K10 - Maybe Samsung twin.
like the in body shake reduction.
Question : I photo at the dogpark. Dogs are always moving from shadows to bright sunlight. Always wished there was a way I could cutomize at least two different exposure settings, especially exposure compensation - under.
Some switch or button on the exterior of the camera to switch quicky from one setting to the other and back again.
I've seen some point & shoot cameras that allow this -ONLY - in their preset ( not custom ) modes. The GREEN BUTTON I see reference to on the Pentax seems to just switch uou back to some auto mode - but explanations all over the web are far from clear about this .
Any help out there ?

Marty ( voicelit )
There is a really simple way on the K10D (I don't know about other pentax cameras aside from *istD)

On the K10D there is a User setting, which is wholly independant from anything else, you can have separate ISO, White balance, MODE etc....

What you should do is set this up for shade, and another setting Tv, Av, what ever, for sun.

you can even keep most things the same, just change white balance for example. It is really good, not only for your situation, but if you can check out lighting in advance for a wedding or other event. then go preset and just start shooting.
09-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
IMO shooting in RAW with bracketing should work fine with the k100D.
I use the k100d and don't find it awkward to hold down the +/- button - at least after some practice.
I use the K100D too and do find it awkward, even with practice.

09-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have to agree, it is a little awkward.

I am still new, but would it not work to push the AE/L button while pointing at the dog? (please don't laugh me outta town )
09-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
Original Poster here

mattdm is probably on to what I'm asking. as is Lowell Goudge. Probably all I'm talking about is changing the over under exposure. Though, a one click way to go to freeze action ( fast shutter speed ) would be helpful.
The Lowell Goudge ( above ) concept seems possible but I'm not sure what all the terms mean , and if there is a camera exterior way to quickly toggle back and forth between the settings.
SO far, thanks for all the concern and help. Gotta run off to the dogpark now with my fuji F20 with all the crude inside the lens.

Thanks again,

Marty ( voicelit )
09-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by voicelit Quote
mattdm is probably on to what I'm asking. as is Lowell Goudge. Probably all I'm talking about is changing the over under exposure. Though, a one click way to go to freeze action ( fast shutter speed ) would be helpful.
The Lowell Goudge ( above ) concept seems possible but I'm not sure what all the terms mean , and if there is a camera exterior way to quickly toggle back and forth between the settings.
SO far, thanks for all the concern and help. Gotta run off to the dogpark now with my fuji F20 with all the crude inside the lens.

Thanks again,

Marty ( voicelit )
Don't worry about all the terms and functions. It is just so even advanced users can understand how much freedom of selection is possible with the USER mode on the K10D.

In terms of accessibility of the switrch, it is on the top left of the camera body, where the ISO and Rewind would have been located on an old film slr.

I gave you this option because the lighting in shaded areas, especially in a park with trees etc, is different not only in intensity but in color, to that of shaded areas. I have not tried myself, and perhaps someone else can comment whether the automatic white balance works in this situation?

If you are looking for a simpler mode to shoot in, and only adjust for light, there are easier ways on the K10D. In fact 2 of them, the first is to let the camera pick the ISO setting automatically, and you would shoot in Tv Mode where you pick the shutter speed you want. The other would be to shoot in Sv Mode, where you have a finger wheel to adjust the ISO setting so you get the shutter speed and F-Stop you wish. In either of these modes you would not have to take your eye away from the viewfinder to change settings.

Overall the camera, especially the K10 (I can't comment on the K100 as I have never used one) can achieve what you want, but I think you would need to play with it to determine which means of getting the results best suites your shooting style. (I have given 3 options, there may be even more)
09-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
What do you mean by "Adobe RAW Editor"? Do you mean Photoshop CS3?
Yes, Camera RAW in Photoshop CS3.
I'm certainly NOT an expert with Photoshop, nevertheless I'm pleased with what I've achieved so far.

Here you'l find an example. This photo was shot in Tanzania at a Masai village, in their local school. I didn't use spot measurement, nor did I compensate for the strong light that comes in through the walls. Still CS3 gives me a reasonable result!

Look at the following pictures where the girl in the middle is the prime subject.

Attachment 4997
This is a compressed JPG straight out of the K10D.

Attachment 4996
I made the shot RAW+ mode, this is what the CS3 RAW module does for me.

I learned to work in darkrooms 30 years ago. This stuff will give you the same correction facilities and more.

I'm sold.

- Bert

Last edited by bymy141; 11-29-2007 at 09:33 AM.