Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
I will always take fact over opinion, no matter how well regarded that opinion may be.
What "fact" are you talking about?
That there are invalid claims about the "golden section" doesn't invalidate the whole concept.

Fact is that the "golden section" has been used by artists since the Renaissance. We are talking about artist like Dali, for example, who surely would not have used this compositional aid if they didn't approve of it. I'm not aware of a history of the "rule of thirds" in arts.

The "rule of thirds" is a dumbed down version of the "golden section". It is sufficiently dumbed down to become invalid. If there is any merit to the "harmonious" qualities of the "golden section" then it is certainly not maintained by the dumbed down version. If you can point to a success of the "rule of thirds" similar to the success of the "golden section" then we can start talking about facts supporting the equivalence of the two notions.

12-08-2010, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What "fact" are you talking about?
That there are invalid claims about the "golden section" doesn't invalidate the whole concept.

Fact is that the "golden section" has been used by artists since the Renaissance. We are talking about artist like Dali, for example, who surely would not have used this compositional aid if they didn't approve of it. I'm not aware of a history of the "rule of thirds" in arts.

The "rule of thirds" is a dumbed down version of the "golden section". It is sufficiently dumbed down to become invalid. If there is any merit to the "harmonious" qualities of the "golden section" then it is certainly not maintained by the dumbed down version. If you can point to a success of the "rule of thirds" similar to the success of the "golden section" then we can start talking about facts supporting the equivalence of the two notions.
Just because many artists have used it does not mean that it has intrinsic aesthetic value. In fact, because so many artists have used it, we have become accustomed to seeing it, which makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Even the claim that many artists have used the golden ratio is shaky. How many artists actually claimed to use it?

Your last paragraph is a strawman, since I never claimed that the two rules were equivalent.

What I claimed was that the article you pooh-poohed was based in *facts* and your only counter-argument was an appeal to authority.

If you're not even going to pay attention, then you're wasting my time.
12-08-2010, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Just because many artists have used it does not mean that it has intrinsic aesthetic value. In fact, because so many artists have used it, we have become accustomed to seeing it, which makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy.
So it works?!

How many artists actually claimed to use it?
Maybe you should read more about the subject.

Your last paragraph is a strawman, since I never claimed that the two rules were equivalent.
Others did. Apologies that I couldn't extract from your "one liner" that you didn't concur with that particular argument. I asked you for clarification which "facts" you are referring to and still don't know what you mean.

What I claimed was that the article you pooh-poohed was based in *facts* and your only counter-argument was an appeal to authority.
I didn't mean to provide a counter argument by appealing to authority. I could go on defending what I did and why I did it but frankly I don't think we'll be able to agree on anything. BTW, the wikipedia article on the "golden section" does a better job of debunking some of the exaggerations surrounding this concept then the article you found so full of facts.

If you're not even going to pay attention, then you're wasting my time.
Maybe it would be best if you could include me in your ignore list then. In fact, I'd appreciate it.
12-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The "rule of thirds" is a dumbed down version of the "golden section". It is sufficiently dumbed down to become invalid.
I disagree. As I said at greater length in #8, the Rule of Thirds is really just to avoid the middle and edges of the frame. It shouldn't be taken as precise, but it doesn't need to be precise to be useful.

12-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you do not mind getting into some math, the best treatise on composition I have seen is Jay Hambidge's The Elements of Dynamic Symmetry, 1919, Yale University Press
12-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On a lighter note.......

Composition is between the Imager and their subject.
Sometimes use the frame work and other times go with your instincts
They are often right..................(your instincts)

Last edited by Postumus; 12-11-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Typo
12-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, I tend to agree with Class A on the matter.

I often feel the Rule of Third is too extrem to be applicable and I intuitively approch a more centered composition. Which makes the 3x3 grid pretty useless for me in many cases. Of course, that's just my intuition. But ancient Greeks already must have felt the same

BTW, this is why I prefer the term Golden ratio (Phidias) over Fibonacci ratio.

What I found useful though is a composition by the 4x4 grid where I use the centers of the inner four rectangles. And if you do the math, the corresponding ratio is closer to the Golden ratio than 3/2 indeed.

So, I think it is a shame that Pentax called the overlay grid options in the K-5 LV as follows:

4x4 grid, Golden ratio, Scale.

Because their Golden ratio grid is a plain 3x3 grid.

That's a level of ignorance a photography corporation should avoid. IMHO...
And the Golden ratio grid is a missed opportunity.

Last edited by falconeye; 12-11-2010 at 07:03 PM.