Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #1

Thought my K7 SD card slot was stuffed - but its not!

Hi!

I was doing some work today, shooting with my K7, and due to the nature of the work I was removing and replacing the SD card (different cards, actually) all day.

During the course of the day, I ran into a problem - I inserted a card and couldn't eject it by pushing inward as you normally do. Nor could I get a grip on it to pull it.. I ended up having to use a fine pair of tweezers to get it out.

Every time I inserted a card after that, it wouldn't eject, and I'd have to use the tweezers again. VERY annoying and a real shame as I think my K7 is just out of warranty.

Well, I thought it was buggered, and started searching pentaxforums for similar thread - half hoping there would be a 'solution', half just needing to vent!

As I was sat here, I was fiddling with the camera/card, and managed to get the card to eject by pushing down very firmly on the very left edge of the card (viewing camera from back). Since that 'discovery', I've been able to eject all my cards, some easier than others.

So, instead of posting looking for advice and commiseration, I'm posting to help out anyone who might run into a similar problem!

I was so close to taking it back to the shop and asking for a repair quote, too!

Thats it! Thanks for reading.

Jeremy

12-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing, Jeremy. While I don't have the K7, I find these kinds of tips useful since I am just the type of person that seems to have these kinds of little annoying anomalies. So I'll certainly "file" this information for future reference.

Thanks.

Glenn
12-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jeremy,

Thank you for the info. I had a similar experience and it may interest others.

I agree that it helps to push down the card before ejecting it. That is true both at home and outdoor.

In the field, I had a 'nasty' experience once with my K-7 and SD card (Sandisk Extreme III), and others might experience a similar pb. Once, I swapped card outdoor, then close the trap door. When I restarted the camera, I could not take a shot and I had an error message indicating that there was no card. As a result, I missed some great shots. I thought initially that I damaged the card. Later I took out the card, checked the contacts and re-inserted the contact. It worked fine there and has been working fine for the last 6 months.

Conclusion: do not rush to insert the card. Do it properly, at home, and check that the camera can read it. In retrospective, I should not have swapped the card outdoor in rush. My mistake...
03-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I am having the same issues only some cards lock in place and some don't. The cards that do lock in place my k-7 wont read/format. The cards that will not lock in place( fixed with a piece of paper between the door and the card) the camera reads fine. I tried your advice with no luck I just ended up cracking my card. I really don't want to send it away for 4+ weeks this time of year, I'd lose out on too much money. Any suggestions??

03-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make do with piece of paper (or a piece of fat rubber-band) for now, send it in when things slow down but before warranty runs out.
I would use the biggest card possible, not open the door and download with USB-cable.