Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Tethered Shooting

Hi everyone, I've been reading the posts here for some time now but am only now starting to post! I was watching Photoshop TV today and they were talking about something called "tethered shooting". Mind you, they're all Canon/Nikon shooters. It seemed sort of interesting, but not something I need badly, and I was just wondering if it was possible to do something similar with my K100D?

Thanks,
Sean

12-05-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I watched the same show and have read on other forums where photogs have done tethered shoot in Tetons to laptops. It sounded like there was special software from the camera manufacturers that allowed the camera to talk to a designated Adobe Lightroom folder. I to would be very interested if anyone has done any tethered shoots with Pentax and would appreciate the particulars.
12-05-2006, 11:39 PM   #3

the D is able to tether shoot and supposedly the K10D will also be able to shoot tethered in the very near future. I have not done it my self but would like to try. I also have a little app on my Mac for doing time lapse stuff with either a P&S or a d. video cam. I have only tested to see if it worked. The closest to 'tethered' so far
12-06-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tethered shooting for the *istD was terrible. It only had USB 1.0 so even jpegs took too long to transfer to the computer. With USB 2 in all cameras since it should be better.

The only 35mm sized cameras that have a lot of support for tethered shooting is Canon. All medium format DSLRs have it. Nikon does have an accessory that sends images directly to your computer using Wi-Fi.

Tethered shooting is used a lot in studios but on location it has a serious drawback - you have to take your computer. While laptops are very portable these days it is still one more piece of bulky equipment to take on your photo shoot so unless you have an assistant it is a PITA. I often take my laptop to weddings just so I can load my images onto it on a break and see how things are going. Tethered only makes sense to me for studio work.

12-07-2006, 09:07 AM   #5
Inactive Account

K100D - Tethered Shooting ?

I heard a rumor on another forum that the Pentax Remote Assistant, as offered for the *istD, will also work on the K100D. [Available from Pentax online as software for the *istD]

Although it is claimed in the post to work only in RAW mode, it is also claimed to work with USB 2, so reasonable speed seems possible.

Haven't tried it yet, but certainly seems interesting. Maybe it will even work with the K10D ??? But if so, why is Pentax not promoting it ?

Larry
12-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I downloaded the Remote Assistant program to see if it worked. I was unable to get to work with the K100D. Whenever I try to connect the USB cord to the camera and the computer, the camera goes into Transfer Mode ("Pc" on top display). So either I'm doing somethin wrong or it doesn't work.
12-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by balofagus Quote
I downloaded the Remote Assistant program to see if it worked. I was unable to get to work with the K100D. Whenever I try to connect the USB cord to the camera and the computer, the camera goes into Transfer Mode ("Pc" on top display). So either I'm doing somethin wrong or it doesn't work.
You seem to be right. Remote Assistant does not presently work with the K100D.

I got it beyond transfer mode by tapping on the shutter button, and I was able to take a pic, but nothing registered on the computer monitor, nor was there any indication that the camera was in communication with the computer.

I was skeptical, that's why I labelled the other post a "rumor".

Larry

12-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LarryDeBx Quote
You seem to be right. Remote Assistant does not presently work with the K100D.

I got it beyond transfer mode by tapping on the shutter button, and I was able to take a pic, but nothing registered on the computer monitor, nor was there any indication that the camera was in communication with the computer.

I was skeptical, that's why I labelled the other post a "rumor".

Larry
It's been said in other forums that an updated version of Remote Assistant would be released for the KxD cameras approx 1 month after the K10D. We'll have to wait and see if that's true or not. I'm still waiting for an update to the original RA that works with my *istDS but I think I'm out of luck on that one.
12-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
It's been said in other forums that an updated version of Remote Assistant would be released for the KxD cameras approx 1 month after the K10D. We'll have to wait and see if that's true or not. I'm still waiting for an update to the original RA that works with my *istDS but I think I'm out of luck on that one.
I just spoke with my camera shop guy who did some research for me about this, and he found out (Forgot to ask which site) that the Remote Assistant will be updated for all K series DSLR soon.
Not much, hope it helps.
Does anyone know where the download is for this software?

thanks

randy
04-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #10

I'd love to be able to use my DS tethered. I've worked with quite a few photographers shoot medium format with a PhaseOne back, and found it a really great way to work for some things. Definitely way easier in the studio than on location. Also, that system uses firewire, so I'm not sure how fast USB would be. Like to have the option though!
04-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
Inactive Account

sure like to see it tethered working.
though , I did not use it much on my canon.
on some shoots, the editor, likes to preview screen the shots,
and have his mac plugged in. In most cases, swapping cards is acceptable.

for my taste, be nice to have a bluetooth dongle for the K10D,
still write everything to sd, but transfer jpegs via bluetooth, (100M),
directly to the mac, no more cable.

just my 2 cents, Robert

QuoteOriginally posted by scottya Quote
I'd love to be able to use my DS tethered. I've worked with quite a few photographers shoot medium format with a PhaseOne back, and found it a really great way to work for some things. Definitely way easier in the studio than on location. Also, that system uses firewire, so I'm not sure how fast USB would be. Like to have the option though!
04-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #12

that's an interesting thought – JPGs for preview, and faster download. Do other cameras support this currently?
04-11-2007, 04:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

hi, according to people on dpreview, it is expected to be released in may. it is only ever talked as being for k10d.
Phil
04-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #14
Inactive Account

May? Or even sooner ....??

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
hi, according to people on dpreview, it is expected to be released in may. it is only ever talked as being for k10d.
Phil
Tethered update will probably have to be a firmware update to the cameras as well as a separate piece of software, it may even be incorporated into a revised version of Pentax Photo Browser/Photolab software (which has been mentioned by Roland Mabo)

I believe it is due very soon (tethered shooting that is), just start counting the days I guess .... 1, 2, 3, ....... 7, 8.
04-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I just spoke with my camera shop guy who did some research for me about this, and he found out (Forgot to ask which site) that the Remote Assistant will be updated for all K series DSLR soon.
Not much, hope it helps.
Does anyone know where the download is for this software?

thanks

randy
It should appear on the Japanese website support page once it's been announced. Just keep your eyes open!

PENTAX Support & Service

Last edited by Richard Day; 04-11-2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: revised text