Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Upgrade or not

Hi people

My first post and just a couple of thoughts...

As an enthusiastic occasional 'snapper', I have been holding back from upgrading my K100D Super after a strange week dribbling at the new cameras available. Being more inclined to go with whatever I like, rather than proclaiming 'brand fan' status, I concluded yesterday (after a week watching reviews, reading user and site reviews etc etc), that my trusty K100D Super is still a damn fine beast for what I need and rather than end up with a new 12Mp + beasty with kit lenses, I should get a faster bit of glass...

It was with delight that dear old mum produced a large amount of camera gear and I started to look through - ahaaaaa a Pentax ME with Pentax-M SMC 50mm 1.7 lens - len looked fairly clean although someone had thought it was full of fungus or something as the mirror is filthy :-) - I just clicked off some shots and you guys showed me the light... coo Some cracking first shots, now I need more skill at making the best settings to avoid the embarrasment of being the only dslr user at a family gathering and being outshot by the p&s brigade :-)

I'll trawl the forum for tips but would be pleased to hear from you

(Off to pen clean my free bit of glass, wait for my M42/K adapter and then start playing with all the other lenses hehe - cant be bad for nothing)

ps There are quite a few old cameras and Im sure some are collectables - will update when I can stop playing with my new eyeball

12-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K100ds is a fine camera. I've enjoyed mine over the past year and a half. I just had mine converted to IR so it has now become a specialized too. However, my k20 has always gotten much more use and I really prefer the way that it works not to mention the image quality etc. Upgrading is more about being able to fund it. If you can, do it you wont regret it.
12-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uggy Quote
Hi people

As an enthusiastic occasional 'snapper', I have been holding back from upgrading my K100D Super after a strange week dribbling at the new cameras available. Being more inclined to go with whatever I like, rather than proclaiming 'brand fan' status, I concluded yesterday (after a week watching reviews, reading user and site reviews etc etc), that my trusty K100D Super is still a damn fine beast for what I need and rather than end up with a new 12Mp + beasty with kit lenses, I should get a faster bit of glass...

It was with delight that dear old mum produced a large amount of camera gear and I started to look through - ahaaaaa a Pentax ME with Pentax-M SMC 50mm 1.7 lens - len looked fairly clean although someone had thought it was full of fungus or something as the mirror is filthy :-) - I just clicked off some shots and you guys showed me the light... coo Some cracking first shots, now I need more skill at making the best settings to avoid the embarrasment of being the only dslr user at a family gathering and being outshot by the p&s brigade :-)

I'll trawl the forum for tips but would be pleased to hear from you

(Off to pen clean my free bit of glass, wait for my M42/K adapter and then start playing with all the other lenses hehe - cant be bad for nothing)

ps There are quite a few old cameras and Im sure some are collectables - will update when I can stop playing with my new eyeball
I'm not sure if you're commenting or asking a question. Are you saying you're replacing your k100 with a film ME, or that you now have a new lens to use on your k100? Or that you (might?) want to upgrade your k100 to another digital body?

Paul
12-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi people

I think that makes sense. I upgraded 6 months ago from a *ist DS to a K-7. Even though this is a really big jump in camera tech, it made more sense because I already have a broad array of useful lenses. If the upgrade is from a K100DS+kit to a K-5+kit, you're spending a lot of money that won't really show up in most images, except for high-ISO. I'd spend that money on lenses instead.

12-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was pleased to pinch the Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 K mount off the ME and have had great fun lens wide open in AV, then using AE-L in manual mode.

So yes - I decided to take forum advice and spend on the glass, rather than end up with an expensive body and a kit lens that I already have

btw, 7dayshop.com are selling Sanyo Eneloop 8x 1900mA batteries for 12.49 delivered, which seems to be the preffered route to risk frying the camera with rechargeable CRV3's

Learning how to use onboard flash with a Pentax-M is for another day

Youtube vid of Chinas answer to Jeremy Clarkson (Kai Wong), compares photos from a budget DSLR with a pro lens, to shots from a Pro body with a cheap lens and although tongue in cheek, it makes a point.

-.. --- -. - - . .-.. .-.. - .... . .-- .. ..-. . .-.. .-..
12-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Youtube vid of Chinas answer to Jeremy Clarkson (Kai Wong), compares photos from a budget DSLR with a pro lens, to shots from a Pro body with a cheap lens and although tongue in cheek, it makes a point.
I think this is it:

Pro DSLR + Cheapo Lens vs "Cheapo" DSLR + Pro Lens - DigitalRev.com