Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Black line through shots

Hello,

I have had a Pentax K10D for the past 3 years and love it, it is a great camera. yesterday when I took some photos, I got a big black line through each photo I took as well as abit of fuzziness. At first I thought it was the camera strap however, soon realsied that the black line is in different places on each subsequent photo taken. I changed lens and it is still occurring, can you please provide any advice on what this may be?

Kind regards
Zoe

Attached Images

12-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Can you post more examples where the line is in different positions?
12-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi,

I have attached 2 further photos, I have been told it is a broken shutte :-( am so devastated as I have been told it will cost about $500 to fix and that most of it is labour charges! I love my camera and use it daily and feel so lost without it...will have to save to but another one now :-(

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That's something I've never seen before. My first guess would be broken aperture blade getting stuck in shot.

Try this: set the camera to Aperture priority or Manual and stop the aperture down as low as it can go. Either take a photo, or activate the preview function (turn the on/off switch further to the right) and watch the aperture blades carefully. Make sure they are all moving as expected. If you're using the preview function, try cycling a few times between fully open and stopped down to make sure the blades are working as expected.

If it's the shutter, you could try putting the camera into sensor cleaning mode and looking at the shutter box to make sure the shutter is not broken.

- Jason

12-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Take the lens off and fire the camera on manual at a longish shutter speed and see what's sitting in front of the sensor.
It looks like a dead shutter.
12-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it is really a $500 repair job then you are probably better off just buying another camera. I've seen used K10d's for well under $300, and used K20d's for well under $500.

I would definitely try a different lens before giving up though.