Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust spots normal for brand new?

Hey people. New here and new to DSLR's. I have bought myself a k-x and from new it seems to have a dust spot up the very top centre of my photos. This doesn't show on video however.

Also their is something in the viewfinder when I look thru it. This doesn't show on photos so doesn't bother me so much.

Is it likely to be a dust spot? I don't want to send my camera back as it will be a huge delay. I imported it.

cheers

12-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Camo:

The dust in the viewfinder will not show in your pics. The dust in your pic is from dust on the sensor. You can get a Giotto Rocket Blower to clean your sensor. I got one, and so far it has worked everytime. Also, my camera had dust on the sensor from brand new---nearly broke my heart. If the dust on the viewfinder bothers you, then I would return it--it should come with a clean viewfinder--Best!

Remember to lift your mirror up, and be careful to not touch any inner camera components while shooting air at the sensor.
12-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for that. Almost broke my heart too but am not wanting to send it away .

I shall invest in a blower and see what results I get.

Thanks
12-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

welcome to the world of interchangeable lenses and camera bodies. Dust spots are normal and knowing how to maintain a clean sensor is a must as an owner.

Jason

12-06-2010, 06:40 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, even the act of unpacking the camera and mounting a lens can introduce dust into the camera which can find it's way to the sensor or focus screen.
12-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I clean my sensor whenever spots show up (macro) with a kit sold for the purpose. Was nervous about it the first time or two, but perform it now as simple, easy and quick maintenence. I also developed a number of spots on my mirror, which were annoying, but didn't effect IQ. Tried also cleaning the mirror with the sensor cleaning kit, but they must have been behind the mirror. Didn't realize mirror assembly was simple as well until I bought a Katzeye and replaced the original. If--more like when--I get spots on the mirror, I won't hesitate to take it out and clean it. Really pretty simple. However, with the replacement mirror kit is a small, plastic, tweezers-like tool that makes the process simple and cuts down on the possibility of scratching the mirror.
If you will search, you can find sensor cleaning kits and mirror replacement kits online with instructions about how to do it.
12-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I clean my sensor whenever spots show up (macro) with a kit sold for the purpose. Was nervous about it the first time or two, but perform it now as simple, easy and quick maintenence. I also developed a number of spots on my mirror, which were annoying, but didn't effect IQ. Tried also cleaning the mirror with the sensor cleaning kit, but they must have been behind the mirror. Didn't realize mirror assembly was simple as well until I bought a Katzeye and replaced the original. If--more like when--I get spots on the mirror, I won't hesitate to take it out and clean it. Really pretty simple. However, with the replacement mirror kit is a small, plastic, tweezers-like tool that makes the process simple and cuts down on the possibility of scratching the mirror.
If you will search, you can find sensor cleaning kits and mirror replacement kits online with instructions about how to do it.
I assume you're talking about the focus screen here, and not the mirror.

The focus screen, up at the top of the body cavity and against the viewfinder prism (or pentamirror), is indeed removable, cleanable, and easily replaced.

The mirror, on the other hand, is the item in front of the sensor that swings away when you take a shot. It's permanently installed, delicate, and probably pretty expensive to replace!

It's true that you can get spots on the mirror. But be careful cleaning them -- the mirror is silvered on its front surface and very easily scratched. I'd leave the mirror alone for the most part, use a no-contact blower when necessary, and maybe wet-clean with sensor fluid on rare events when something big 'n' ugly is stuck on there.

12-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, I menat the focus screen. Sorry.