Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
joenottoast

i need this feature - which camera has it?

i already have the kx, but i need the option to set specific exposures while the shutter is held. basically i want the bracketing feature but rather than +/- ev steps, i want to set 3+ exposures/shutter speeds of my choosing. sooo lets say i could program the camera to take one picture at 1/100, 1/250, and 1/400 in a row while the button is held. the idea is to make hdr time lapses. i have the pclix lt but it cant be programmed to take sets of 3 pictures at different exposures. i know the camera has an hdr mode built in but honestly it cant compare to using a program to merge the pictures together and tune the details. also, i cant really use the +1/-1 ev bracketing because on aperture or shutter priority there are still factors that change in the scene and that will cause the pictures to be somewhat different from set to set. so do any of the pentax dslrs, newer or older, have this feature?

12-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If you use aperture preferred auto (AV) the camera will be forced to hold the aperture and change shutter speeds during an auto bracket sequence.
I have a friend who does pretty much all of his pictures this way and does the most fabulous HDR pictures.
I don't know about the Kx, but IIRC, my K10, K20, K7 and K5 all do auto bracketing while in AV mode.

I hope this answers your question, and that I haven't misinterpreted it.
12-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Auto bracketing takes away the need to calculate your own shutter speeds. Save from manually setting your desired shutter speeds, there isn't a way to preset shutter speeds before bracketing. But the flagship models as Wheatfields says (including the *ist D) gives you auto bracketing set to the exposure parameter you desire, and a choice between 3, 5, 7 and 9 exposures.
12-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
joenottoast

yeah ideally i would set 3 different shutter speeds of my choosing, with the camera having no choice but to take these 3 pics at those speeds while in aperture priority (or manual, where aperture would still not change). i want to do hdr time lapses where changing light in the scene wont cause the shutter speed to change. even though i cant get the exact shutter speeds i want. i found out that with kx, in manual mode, if you set it to bracket 3 shots, the shutter speed you select will be the underexposed shot, and the camera will take 2 additional shots at ev steps you specify. this will have to do for now...