Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #46
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
(the DA40 I bought soon after getting the K-7 has been a disappointment)
How so? The DA 40 is widely appreciated as a great quality pancake.

12-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not saying it's not a great quality pancake, I'm just saying it's been a disappointment. Once size doesn't fit all. It's very useful in some situations (such as jostling around in a crowd -- it's nice to worry more about scraping my knuckles on something than on banging the lens) but I've had a lot of trouble focusing it. I might like it more if I put a magnifying eye-piece on the camera, or get a split-image screen. (I get wildly inconsistent results from the AF. Probably mostly user error -- but I prefer manual focusing anyway, on my other lenses. )
12-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #48
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Manually focusing such a small lens regularly with that tiny focusing ring would be less of a joy than say an FA 43, but your other reasons for calling it a 'disappointment' are not due to the lens. So it just doesn't suit your purposes - looks like time to pass it on for another lens (and get yourself a Katz-Eye ).
12-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I didn't state that my disappointment was "due to the lens." Can we drop this? This isn't a thread about the DA40.

12-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #50
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Dropped.

Point is:
If it were a non-negotiable toss between a K-7 + DA 40 + DA 21 (for example) and a K-5 + kit lens, I'd go with the K-7 setup hands down. Of course, you can always get a K-5 then go for your chosen DA ltds later...
12-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If it were a non-negotiable toss between a K-7 + DA 40 + DA 21 (for example) and a K-5 + kit lens, I'd go with the K-7 setup hands down. Of course, you can always get a K-5 then go for your chosen DA ltds later...
Agreed, or... a Kx and and an FA ltd or two, or a higher quality zoom, etc etc. The combinations are endless. A beautiful thing about Pentax is you can put great lenses on an entry level body and get full functionality out of the lens. I wish I could say that about Nikon, or I might not have switched.
12-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #52

It all depends

QuoteOriginally posted by harleynitelite Quote
I've been trying to decide on a camera and have been drooling over the k5 however if I bought it I would be stuck with the kit lens for a while as that is my price limit. So which would be a better option, the k7 with money to spare for a good lens, or the latest tech in the k5 with the kit lens for a while?

Which would you choose?
Your question is a valid one. If this is your first DSLR I would probably suggest you go with the K-7 and better glass or even the K-r with just the kit lens until you make sure you're going to be serious about photography. However, if your passion is shooting low light, you will probably be much more satisfied with the high ISO performance of the K-5 but of course the kit lens is going to require you to shoot at a higher ISO which will also reduce the quality of your pictures.

I really really like my K-7 it's truly an awesome camera, but low light is anything but it's forte. However, it's a fine camera that does a super job in nearly any other setting. My suggestion would be to get the K-7 and the 16-50 if you can afford it. However, if that's too rich for you, the Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Sigma 18-50 2.8 are both worthy combinations. I personally wanted a bit more reach in my walk around lens and went with the slightly less expensive Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5. I've been very pleased with the quality of the pictures I take with it. However, as you zoom you do lose a stop, so that is something to consider if you look at this lens.

The advantage of the K-5 with the kit lens or K-7 with the 16-50 is that you will have a water resistant combo that allows you to shoot in wet conditions. I have the kit lens just for shooting in those conditions but will probably eventually upgrade to the 16-50 and when I do will probably be selling my 18-55 on E-bay. It's not all that bad, it just doesn't give me the same quality pictures as most of the other glass I carry.

Pentax comes out with a new flagship camera about every 14 to 18 months and always has some really great new feature that wasn't available before. Good glass on the other hand will be used for many years.

When I got started about 3 years ago I went with a K10D and then focused on building a good arsenal of lenses. There were certainly times I was frustrated with the 1600 ISO limit of the K10, but when I upgraded to the K-7 I was able to keep all the superior glass I bought and now have a very nice kit. If I had started the K20 which was available at the time I would have been very limited and would now have a much more basic kit today.
12-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Agreed, or... a Kx and and an FA ltd or two, or a higher quality zoom, etc etc. The combinations are endless. A beautiful thing about Pentax is you can put great lenses on an entry level body and get full functionality out of the lens. I wish I could say that about Nikon, or I might not have switched.
FA ltd.... three years with Pentax and I still haven't had one yet! I sort of wish I just started with it and maybe I wouldn't end up with sooo many lenses

So just to throw it out there:
K-x/kitlens (400) + fa 43 (400) + DA* 50-135 (650) = $1450

Throw in DA 35L there for good measure