Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Shutter count - which number to believe?

I received my new K-5 today (yay!) and after just two shots noticed that the last jpeg was named "IMGP4617.jpg". Suspicious that the camera may already have several thousand actuations on it I checked the shutter count via EXIF readout and the software counted 5 shutter actuations.

Now I'm not sure what to believe. If the camera really has had 5 shutter actuations then why does jpg numbering start at 4600-something? The seal of the allegedly new box was already broken and while this on its own doesn't really bother me, I wouldn't accept a camera as new with that high of a shutter count...

Is shutter count via EXIF-readout reliable enough in this case? Or could it have been reset?

12-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would trust EXIF over file name. While the EXIF counter can be reset, that is relatively difficult to do--and I would imagine that resetting EXIF resets the file name counter, too.

Did you format the card before using it in the new camera? Perhaps it is counting up from the last image on the card, rather than the last image from the camera.
12-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Google and download a program called photome. It reads the full camera exif info including the actual shutter count, which will give you a definitive answer.
12-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
JonPB: thanks for the advice. I did format the card but the file naming did not change.

pxpaulx: I use Mac OS so that software is not an option for me unfortunately. I used myshuttercount.com though, which seems like a valid tool as well.

12-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amaurosis Quote
: I use Mac OS so that software is not an option for me unfortunately. I used myshuttercount.com though, which seems like a valid tool as well.
ExifTool by Phil Harvey
12-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Ditto, exiftool is GREAT! Command line-only, but it is so much quicker than PhotoME when you want specific information.

exiftool IMGP1234 | grep Count

and you get the shutter count.
12-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would trust a exif data and not the file name. I believe the pentax system uses the file name of the last file on the memory card. So that file name may come from a previous camera memory file. Download exiftool and run that for the proper shutter count.

12-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/124182-shuttercount-pict...ml#post1283893

See here for how to realign your file number to the actual shutter count.