Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
It's not consistent, which is why it's frustrating. As you move through the apertures, you exposure will go between over and under.
I've read this elsewhere, but my two MF lenses don't do that. They meter correctly wide open and overexpose more and more as I stop down. This is with the K100D Super, K20D and K-x. I've heard that different lenses behave differently, some overexpose, some underexpose, and some swing in between as you've described.

02-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Rick, I don't think you could go wrong with either camera for your applications. Even a K10D would suffice (and even be better for ISO 100 shots). Anyway the way you'd decide is by assessing your desire for camera size, video capability, weather sealing, and advanced camera customisation settings and convenience of a second e-dial. Not much to go by, but I'd suggest using the forum's side-by-side camera comparison tool in the reviews section.
I took your advice and started looking at K10's and found one...

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Just one things: The k20d meters terribly with lenses lacking an A setting on the aperture ring... sounds like you have quite a few. Not sure if the KX is any better, though.
I think my K2000 metered my manual lenses a bit better, actually a ton better, just getting used to the different metering "system", the only way to describe the way the K10 meters would be consistently inconsistent.

Onwards
So I never really thought I'd consider a camera with less that 12mp until I started reading about the K10. I've only had it for a couple of days, but can tell images take less PP to look superb. But it's not without it's own odd issues... fyi- current firmware seems to be up to date, v1.31

My biggest concern, the Auto Focus struggles to say the least. By struggle, it just goes back and forth, seemingly unable to "see" the subject, when it does find the subject it focuses nicely, but this is rare and frustrating. I've tried my Tamron and F lenses all seem to have the same hunting problem.

A couple of things I've observed, the viewfinder is showing a lot of dirt and blowing doesn't remove anything, so it must be inside the prism. The mirror also looks a bit grimy.

If anyone out there has a link on "how to" clean focusing screen and/or mirror please send it my way.

Generally, I'm very pleased with the camera, shots below I think demonstrates that the camera can indeed focus using an AF, Takumar and M lens, so I'm hoping it's just a minor issue... Thanks, Rick

Tamron 28-105 from DNG

Super-Takumar 50/1.4 from DNG

M 50/1.7 this is a straight out of camera JPEG with very little PP

All processed using Faststone...
02-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Owner of K10D and Kx

Several things that I would consider. Since you are using Km, you will be more comfortable with Kx.

Favor for Kx:
1. low light and high iso
2. more compact
3. similar to Km
4. movie
5. AA batteries
6. better live view

Favor for K20D:
1. weather sealed body
2. better view finder (important for manual focusing)
3. better built and more substantial feel and a bit bigger
4. two wheels
5. TAV
6. screen on top
7. better support for flash
8. quieter green button
9. more direct controls (e.g., light metering).
02-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yyyzzz Quote
Several things that I would consider. Since you are using Km, you will be more comfortable with Kx.

Favor for Kx:
1. low light and high iso
2. more compact
3. similar to Km
4. movie
5. AA batteries
6. better live view

Favor for K20D:
1. weather sealed body
2. better view finder (important for manual focusing)
3. better built and more substantial feel and a bit bigger
4. two wheels
5. TAV
6. screen on top
7. better support for flash
8. quieter green button
9. more direct controls (e.g., light metering).
Thanks for the feedback but I settled on a K10d, I'm very very happy with it, color/contrast/IQ is superb!!!

I'm going to do some high ISO low light shots, according to reviews written a few years ago, the K10 should be very acceptable when using high ISO's... well high for the time the camera came out 1600

02-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I've read this elsewhere, but my two MF lenses don't do that. They meter correctly wide open and overexpose more and more as I stop down. This is with the K100D Super, K20D and K-x. I've heard that different lenses behave differently, some overexpose, some underexpose, and some swing in between as you've described.
It looks like one of your MF lenses is the Kiron 28mm 2.0, which I also own. Mine is the equivalent of an A lens, so it exposes correctly, even with P-TTL flash.

I have gotten to know my M and K lenses pretty well, and can compensate for their exposure quirks.
02-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
Thanks for the feedback but I settled on a K10d, I'm very very happy with it, color/contrast/IQ is superb!!!

I'm going to do some high ISO low light shots, according to reviews written a few years ago, the K10 should be very acceptable when using high ISO's... well high for the time the camera came out 1600
Good to hear. The K10D has a significant advantage over the K-x and K20D - that CCD sensor's colour rendition at ISO 100. You might not be all that impressed with the K10D and ISO 1600 though.