Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
It's true that they're far from the LX3/LX5 type cameras. But that's not what most people buy. And the fact is that the new phones are quite good in good light and when you don't need a zoom. Here's one from my iPhone 4:
DAMN NICE SHOT!!!

And that's what I'm getting my younger boy for Xmas--an iPhone.

He's 14 and knows a ton more about this than I do, but what about video?

12-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I haven't seen a phone camera yet which surpasses or much less can keep up with a decent P&S...especially the LX3 which was mentioned in the story. What a load of rubbish.

Jason
nokia N8 comes to mind. would you carry an extra LX3 or use your nokia N8 as a phone and a camera... and as someone said, they upload to webpages better (not better but faster), no need to reduce the size, and no need to plug it into a computer...
12-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It doesn't cost me upwards of $100 a month to keep my P&S fully functional.
I can take my P&S underwater. Can you take your smart phone under water?

Dumb phone + P&S user here.
12-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
It doesn't cost me upwards of $100 a month to keep my P&S fully functional.
I can take my P&S underwater. Can you take your smart phone under water?

Dumb phone + P&S user here.
Again, segment of the market you fall into really is shrinking. Not a lot of people shoot underwater. Those kinds of niche markets will remain - super-zoom (for now, Nokia and others have some stuff), underwater, high-speed, low-light... These are things which dedicated cameras handle better. Truth is, though, the vast majority of people don't use these. Most people want to snap a shot of that funny cat, or the construction sign that looks like a sex act (speaking of which, weekend project here.. spotted it on the way home today...), email it to their friends/kids/parents/grandkids, and be done with it.
You're in a niche, and while there's profit in that niche... its not the mass-market profit needed to sustain an empire like Canon or Sony. For most of the people who want those features, the extra cost doesn't buy enough until you hit the DSLR level.

/Dumb phone, DSLR user.
//Bridge camera too, but i really only use it for CHDK intervolometer

12-09-2010, 01:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I acknowledge an Iphone (or similar) phones can sometimes capture some pretty terrific snaps...as long as the lighting is decent and other conditions must be avail;able to compete with a P&S. I too use an Iphone for my calling and general communication as well as snapping a pic here and there when I dont have either of my other two cameras at hand, but I would never consider using it as a replacement for my LX3. On the other hand, I am not saying a P&S is a replacement for a DSLR either, but there are times when carrying a body and lens around are just not feasible and having a top quality P&S (like a LX3/5, S90/5, etc) are certainly capable of capturing shots almost as lovely as a bigger camera and regularly produces images a phone camera cannot begin to compete with.

Is the P&S dying? Not at the moment and as long as camera makers acknowledge the market segment and continue to produce some really nice P&S models that are above the normal fare, this will remain true. As for me, I will use my Iphone as a phone, email, GPS, etc and leave the camera function as something nice to have when all other options are nil.

Jason
12-09-2010, 02:14 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
because a water proof camera would be madness! who would possibly buy such as CRAZY thing! You could drop it in the sink and your wouldn't need to replace it!
LOL In fact, one of the most common ways of destroying mobile phones is supposed to be unintentionally dropping them into the toilet
12-09-2010, 02:20 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
DAMN NICE SHOT!!!
Thanks
QuoteQuote:
He's 14 and knows a ton more about this than I do, but what about video?
Well, I haven't really used it much, but so far I think video is OK too, even the low light results are usable if you don't mind a grainy look.
12-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
I just bought a nikon s8100 point and shoot and quite pleased with it for $235 shipped. I wanted something that has decent quality video/pictures that easily fits in the pocket. While I admit, if my wife and I had iphone 4s we might not have purchased this nikon.

Iphone 4 takes splendid pics considering its a cellphone, ive looked at some of the droid 8mp images and while clarity is decent, color/dynamic range is very poor. I do think its a matter of time before cell phones are truly as good or better then a $100-150 point and shoot. If you spend more then $200ish then you are getting close to budget entry level DSLR. (ive seen sony A330 bodys from sonystyle.com for $284 shipped)

12-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #24
Site Supporter

What surprises me with cell phones is how often people use them in situations where I would think your photos would end up looking pretty bad. I was in a museum awhile back and there were people walking around taking photos of their kids and various exhibits with cell phones (no flash). I am sure that the end result photos were a noisy, blurry mess, but I am sure as well that they got posted to face book with only positive comments.

Makes me wonder why I got a K20 in the first place...
12-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What surprises me with cell phones is how often people use them in situations where I would think your photos would end up looking pretty bad. I was in a museum awhile back and there were people walking around taking photos of their kids and various exhibits with cell phones (no flash). I am sure that the end result photos were a noisy, blurry mess, but I am sure as well that they got posted to face book with only positive comments.

Makes me wonder why I got a K20 in the first place...
I'm always surprised by what people go for when looking at pics. I've used my iphone for some pics and played around with the vaious PP apps. Took one pic of the bastille in paris this year at late dusk pp a bit fooling around. My wife mentioned the other day she'd like a copy printed and framed for xmas. thing is I also took the same scene with my K10 to much greater effect in my opinion but she preferred the unreal look of the cell pic. I'll have to try a test print, but pretty sure beyond 4x6 it'll look pretty bad to me (though she probably won't care she's not as concerned as I am with these things)

the cell pic (don't beat me up on the PP i was just playing with it)

and another that also has been really popular though a little cheesy of me really

it was her second choice for printing
beats me

Last edited by eddie1960; 12-09-2010 at 09:26 AM.
12-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I personally can attest to the quality of the Samsung phone cameras. Last year while on holiday in Southern AB/BC, Canada, my Canon S1 died and my Olympus P&S is terrible(!!!!). So I was left with taking photos with my cell phone and the girlfriends K100D. Obviously the K100D was definitely capable of stellar photography, but my Samsung Omnia never let me down.
12-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The performance of the cameraphones is quite amazing for a (bulk) part price of about US$ 10 which includes AF optics and the sensor. (source: isuppli via http://i.cmpnet.com/eetimes/eedesign/2010/iSuppli_iPhone4.pdf)
12-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
The performance of the cameraphones is quite amazing for a (bulk) part price of about US$ 10 which includes AF optics and the sensor. (source: isuppli via http://i.cmpnet.com/eetimes/eedesign/2010/iSuppli_iPhone4.pdf)

given the production cost you are right, the iphone 4 is very good, my 3 not so hot
and the race seems to be on for the hi megapixel, optical zoom camera phones now with LG, Sony and Panasonic jumping into the market
Now if Pentax would just partner with apple and give me an iphone 5 that was a functional wr90 plus iphone i'd be all over it
12-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #29

For many people the camera in their phone is "good enough" and they see no reason to spend more to carry a camera that might be better. I have seen over the past years at my school's graduation ceremonies that for many there the photos from their phone will be the only record of the event. They will never print the images and some will only be shared by passing the phone itself around. It's not how I would want to preserve images but for them it is good enough. It is something that people who are passionate about something (cameras, motorcycles, computers, audio etc) often forget; most people are not willing to spend extra to get "the best" or even "better", they are happy with "good enough". Businesses which base everything on selling an expensive, better than average product do not seize control of their market segment, though they may still prosper. Apple is of course a notable exception to this.
12-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #30
Veteran Member

These days the average younger consumer is probably happy with only using a phone, especially since they can upload images to social networking sites directly from the phone in one simple easy process. For example, my sister uses her Android phone to upload photos from the phone to twitter and facebook, and completely abandoned her old digicam for a DSLR to take "real" pictures.