Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

The end of the Point & shoot Camera

Interesting reading here. Sale of P&S are down drastically as more peoples use their smartphone but sales of interchangeables DSLR are up 29 % in 2009.
This explain were the king of small P&S Panasonic, Olympus and Sony have to move urgently to an EVIL type camera.
In Smartphone Era, Point-and-Shoots Stay Home - Yahoo! Finance

12-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Interesting reading here. Sale of P&S are down drastically as more peoples use their smartphone but sales of interchangeables DSLR are up 29 % in 2009.
This explain were the king of small P&S Panasonic, Olympus and Sony have to move urgently to an EVIL type camera.
In Smartphone Era, Point-and-Shoots Stay Home - Yahoo! Finance
that's pretty much the story, there are some nice phone camera out there that P&S doesn't justify lugging around an extra brick. Most P&S do really well in outdoor well lit situation, they can't do jack in low light though = same as camera phones. well they do better than camera phone in low light, but it's not enough to justify carrying extra camera.
12-08-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I haven't seen a phone camera yet which surpasses or much less can keep up with a decent P&S...especially the LX3 which was mentioned in the story. What a load of rubbish.

Jason
12-08-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Look in Flickr and other photo site , it's not rubbish , it's the reality. P&S are not use as much as before

12-08-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is really going to be the trend though. People judge cameras based on megapixels and now the newest Droid phones have an 8 megapixel camera with a flash. Most people will see that as sufficient for their camera needs, whether or not there is better quality from something else. The few who don't see a camera phone providing enough quality will tend to buy an SLR or at least a bridge camera.

There hasn't been much profit in the point and shoot business for a long time, but things are going to get worse.
12-08-2010, 04:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Look in Flickr and other photo site , it's not rubbish , it's the reality. P&S are not use as much as before
Yuo arec talking about the use of P&S, you are replying to someone who talkls about the quality if P&S, which still is better....
12-08-2010, 05:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I haven't seen a phone camera yet which surpasses or much less can keep up with a decent P&S...especially the LX3 which was mentioned in the story. What a load of rubbish.

Jason
Jason, I have engaged myself into the (error and) trial project whereas I take pictures with 3MP snapper of my Samsung cell phone with the only purpose to publish these in my blog. I deliberately process them so as to emphasize the point that they could be only printed the size of an average post stamp.

Surprisingly I've been able to get pictures that even surpassed my initial, rather low, expectations.

That is in now way to say that LX3 or its successor LX5 are obsolete. Fine machines, these two.

The link to point:
Pentax Ways: Cell_Phone
12-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Jason
The average barbarian^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H consumer might be happy enough?

Last edited by jolepp; 12-08-2010 at 05:30 AM.
12-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I couldn't even find an LX3 or a G10 at a store in my town when I looked a year or so ago. It is obvious that this segment is not driving the P&S market. Most of the people who buy a P&S are of the market segment that was happy in the past with an instamatic or a 110 pocket camera. There is a business segment of that market that could be tempted to something more sophisticated, but the output of the current crop of smart phones seems to suit the snapshot consumer more and more.

BTW I've talked clients into putting their $200 into a used DSLR, rather than a P&S, and have been thanked for it later, when we needed those photos for legal matters. However, there is software coming online that will make smartphones tempting even for that use. Software now which manages certain businesses allows the user to email a photo directly from the phone to the customer file. The photos are often lousy but not lost.
12-08-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Jason
It's true that they're far from the LX3/LX5 type cameras. But that's not what most people buy. And the fact is that the new phones are quite good in good light and when you don't need a zoom. Here's one from my iPhone 4:

It even gives P&S-like quality in low light (i.e. still hopelessly noisy, but not really worse than a budget P&S camera). My W10 is now reserved for heavy rain and underwater use only.

The main limitation of my iPhone 4 is the wide angle lens without zoom. I still think there's a market for P&S with powerful zoom lenses (and MILC cameras loses much of their advantage to DSLRs here - they really shine when you use the moderate zooms or better, the pancakes) and also underwater cameras (but why doesn't Apple or somebody make an iPhone W in cooperation with Pentax?).

I think Pentax has hugely improved on their P&S offering with their newest cameras. They are now covering these last bastions of P&S quite well with the X90, the RZ10 and the W90. The RS1000 is more of a wildcard - I wonder how well that sells?
12-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

It is the way things are heading and LG, Panasonic and Sony have all announced phones that are more ps camera than phone to address the issue. a couple of them look very interesting and if the price isn't off the scale when i go to replace my phone i will likely go down this route

the lg model also uses a Pentax lens

LG L-03C Stylish Compact Camera Phone at Computer Electronic Gadget Cellphone Review
12-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Another big difference is that camera phones are making it easier to offload your pictures. I remember my first camera phone wanted to keep the pictures I took hostage on the phone unless I emailed them slowly and expensively over the cell network.

Even 5 years ago, Nokia was manufacturing more cameras via camera phones than the traditional camera industry (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Kodak, etc.) combined. So this isn't really a new story, just one of those its a slow news day so lets make a gee wiz observation that has been generally known for a long day to pump up traffic.
12-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
but why doesn't Apple or somebody make an iPhone W in cooperation with Pentax?).
because a water proof camera would be madness! who would possibly buy such as CRAZY thing! You could drop it in the sink and your wouldn't need to replace it!
12-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Jason
You're not likely to either, at least not right now. The article really shows that the majority of the photo snapping public is more interested in convenience than image quality. They bought digital P&S cameras because they were small and easy to use and took a good enough shot, at least for them. The smart phone/camera phone, with it's ability to directly post photos to a web page, has made the P&S obsolete to the general public. The article isn't rubbish but a hard truth that the camera companies are suddenly waking up to.
12-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
You're not likely to either, at least not right now. The article really shows that the majority of the photo snapping public is more interested in convenience than image quality. They bought digital P&S cameras because they were small and easy to use and took a good enough shot, at least for them. The smart phone/camera phone, with it's ability to directly post photos to a web page, has made the P&S obsolete to the general public. The article isn't rubbish but a hard truth that the camera companies are suddenly waking up to.
Tat what theis article is all about
Same reason why film camera die fast after Digital have come up despite the fact that image was not that good at the beginning
Now this is why also you need to be strong at the entry level DSLR because a group will move in that direction as their next step from Phone camera will be more serious photo