Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
Not Registered

IR photography and portraits.

Hi there,

I have no experience with IR photography besides the one that I ocasionally do with laser microscopy (which has nothing to do with normal photography). I saw the post about IR in this forum and found some pictures that they are trully interesting. I was just wondering if somebody has used the IR filters for doing portraits. I know that with those filters you loose a lot of light and need long exposures, but does somebody try it with powerful ilumination? Do you think that it is possible to achieve good results with it?

Thank you in advance,

09-27-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think you would need an IR lightsource, but then why not

Ohh. and I think you would need either a K100D, or one of the other a little more IR sensitive cameras too.

I can imagine that focus might be a challenge though

A few not portraits, but captures with people in them (best examples I have online):

09-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
I think you would need an IR lightsource, but then why not

Ohh. and I think you would need either a K100D, or one of the other a little more IR sensitive cameras too.

I can imagine that focus might be a challenge though

A few not portraits, but captures with people in them (best examples I have online):
Awesome,

Looks by the shadows that it was noon-afternoon, how long was the exposure?(just to have an idea)

Thank you for the information
09-28-2007, 05:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Awesome,

Looks by the shadows that it was noon-afternoon, how long was the exposure?(just to have an idea)

Thank you for the information
They were indeed shot around noon and in strong sunlight.

Photo 1:
0.6s @ F8 @ ISO 200

Photo 2:
1s @ f10 @ ISO 200

Both with DS and DA40 limited with a Hoya R72 filter.

I guess on a sunny day and with a K100D you would be able to get away with handholding it at say f4 or below.

09-28-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
Not Registered

I see, looks like it is something very challenging... specially for the model I would have to look for really quiet people for the experiment. (and buy a filter too)

Thanks,
09-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Gruoso,

My Hoya R72 filter was $40.50 from B&H.

It will take a few minutes to get used to the focus and exposure issues but at that price you can try Infrared and see if you like it.
10-01-2007, 05:38 AM   #7
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Gruoso,

My Hoya R72 filter was $40.50 from B&H.

It will take a few minutes to get used to the focus and exposure issues but at that price you can try Infrared and see if you like it.
I was thinking more in using it in a Cokin holder so I can use the filter with different lenses for different purposes. What I do not know is how good are these infrared Cokin filters. Anyhow that one that you tell me will fit well my kit lens and my smc-A 200mm so it will be a good alternative too (when I looked for the Hoya, I only focused the search in 77mm and the price was 283.00$).

Thank you for the advice,
10-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #8

In a Cokin filter holder I would be wary of any stray light getting round the filter. Since the exposure will be many stops more than 'normal' any stray light that isn't filtered will have a hugely disproportionate effect.

10-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by karma mechanic Quote
In a Cokin filter holder I would be wary of any stray light getting round the filter. Since the exposure will be many stops more than 'normal' any stray light that isn't filtered will have a hugely disproportionate effect.
Excellent point, I just bought the Cookin holder but I didnt receive it yet so I did not consider that possibility (and I must say I never had one in my hands). I am glad you pointed that up cos even with the holder in my hands I would be able to dont think on that possibility. I will give it a second thought and look carefully all possibilities.

Thank you again, you might have made me save some good bucks.