Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Weird thing happened with my K20D - anyone know why?

I had been showing a friend the K20D as he wanted to see what Pentax DSLR were like having used a K1000 in his younger days.

He had a look, showed him the external flashes also along with my Cybersyncs, explained about the grip (both batteries were basically fully charged) everything worked perfectly as normal. I packed my gear away in a camera bag.

Later that night I took the camera out and when i switched it on the only thing that appeared on the top lcd display was the battery (fully charged) icon - the back screen did not light up and nothing happened when I depressed the shutter release. I then switched the camera off and the battery icon was still there! At this point I removed the grip and removed the camera body battery, waited a moment and then put the battery back in - everything seems to be working fine again - does anyone know what the happened or experienced this?

Thanks!

12-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Same thing happened intermittently with my K20, Sent it in for repair just before the warranty ran out. They replaced the main board and I haven't had any problems since (7 months now). I suggest you send it in if it's still under warranty.
12-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
I was afraid of that - I purchased it 2nd hand from KEH a few months ago. How intermittent was it with yours as this is the first time it has occurred since I've had it.
12-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Banned

For the first 8 - 9 months I had it, very rarely, maybe 4 or 5 times. The last couple of months it started happening more frequently, at least once a week ( and I mostly only shoot on w/e's ), which is what prompted me to send it in b-4 the warranty ran out. Seemed to be a somewhat common issue with early releases of this cam.

12-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My K20D did some weird things a few times during my first year with it, including what you described a time or two. I figured out most of the problems (they were few) were due to a low battery. I learned to switch out batteries as soon as the bar was not full.
Low battery, however, was not the reason for things staying on even when camera was switched off. The K20D does so many things, it is escentually a hand-held computer, and like so many computers I've owned, once in a while you have to reboot it.
It is a "bug," I suppose, but it only happened once or twice and hasn't happened for the past couple of years. For all I know, I may have done something to cause the problem.
They make modern cameras idiot proof, but I can somehow find a way around that. At any rate, since I've become totally familiar with the camera, and keep batteries fresh, I've had no more problems.
12-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ron,

Thanks - that's a little bit more reassuring - as you also mentioned, maybe I unwittingly did some strange combination of things that caused it - I'll also keep a check on the battery situation to see if it ever (hopefully not) ever rears its head again.
12-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #7

I had this happen on my K200D. I sent in in under an extended warranty and they had to replace the main board.
12-12-2010, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I've ready many possibilities for this type of problem.

But one of the most common is caused by a damaged or improper SD card data.
I remember about 1.5 years ago when one of my K20D's started to freeze-up without warning(top LCD battery icon). and I was pretty upset about it and about to send it in for repairs. When all of sudden, I found out the same thing was happening with my backup body too!
So I knew at this point that it wasn't my camera.
So I started doing extensive trial and error in an attempt to uncover the cause.
And guess what?
Some of the services needed to manage(mount and unmount) the removable media in my Windows OS(XP x64 bit) was turned while I optimized my OS. I was comletely blown away at the problems this had caused me. Once I re-enabled the services I would never have a freeze-up again!

FTR. the freezup's occured everytime I took a card from my camera and placed it in the reader on my PC. Once the PC would access the card, it would alter the data format thus causing the camera to freeze(or crash) at some point in the future.

Hope this helps.
JohnB

12-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #9

Original Poster
John,

This is incredibly strange that you should mention this about the SD cards - days before the weirdness with the camera battery icon I had issues with the SD card slot on my PC (Windows 7 64 bit) - I spoke with a friend who is an IT tech and she advised it is more than likely a windows update problem - during the PC issue I had attempted to read some of the photos from the SD card but the PC could not even see the card / drive and the error message advised the device was malfunctioning - the next day all was well - maybe another Windows patch or update installed. I believe it was the very same card I used on the K20D that day! mmmm - need to keep an eye on this also!

Thanks for the info.
12-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

It happened to mine once, nearly two years ago and hasn't happened since.
12-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Moste of the time when my K20d does something weird, any kind of weirdness, I just pull out the battery from the body (not only the grip), count till ten, put it back in again and switch the camera on.
The other ting I sometimes do is to let the camera cool down, while switched off. Over warmed camera's act strange, particularly in warm (damp) climates.
The SD card can behave 'unwanted' too, then I pull it out and put it gently back in again.
Miniature electronics are sensitive to any kind of 'things', things one does not understand, they do neither...
12-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #12

Electrostatic Discharge?

Electrostatic discharge sometimes has this exact effect. How dry was it when you were handling them?

Mike
12-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #13

Original Poster
Mike,

Hi - we were in doors, and as far as I can recall it wasn't raining that day at all, so normal dry day conditions. It was a carpeted office though - I don't know if there would potentially be enough of a static charge from that?
12-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #14

Electrostatic Discharge?

I just mention it as I live in dry Arizona and suffered a similar type of problem that I strongly suspect was ESD. It only has happened to me with a K20D when the grip was attached, so I speculate it might be a path through the bottom connector.

These type of problems are hard to replicate, unfortunately, but don't seem to inflict permanent damage.

Mike
12-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by billtin59 Quote
Same thing happened intermittently with my K20, Sent it in for repair just before the warranty ran out. They replaced the main board and I haven't had any problems since (7 months now). I suggest you send it in if it's still under warranty.
QuoteOriginally posted by tlemkuil Quote
I had this happen on my K200D. I sent in in under an extended warranty and they had to replace the main board.
Did just like these folks with my K20D after owning it for two months because freeze-ups occurred a few times too many. My main board was the problem as well, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the batteries I used, or the SD card, or how I inserted/removed the SD card, etc. The proof: my camera has been perfect in the nearly two years since the repair using the exact same batteries and card and using the exact same procedures to insert/remove them.

You can read about my saga here, detailing my before-repair assumptions and after-repair discoveries, if you're really bored!