Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #1

K-5 or K-7 or other camera for shooting video?

Hay Guys

I have started to shoot more video then i take photos and using rented camera's my old k10d is sat on the side looking sad and only gets use every now and again.

All my friends are raving about the canon 7d and 5d-mk2 for shooting video but if i could just upgrade my pentax body and keep the rest of my kit so i can run out and shoot video on my camera i would be very happy.

now i dont have a lot of money and the k7 is in my budget without to much saving but the k5 is outside my budget but if there are a lot of gains from this camera for video over the k7 then i will make it happen as i only upgrade every now and again as i dont have a mass amount of money coming in, i want the best camera for video.

What would you guys recommend?

Get the k7 or the k5 or get rid of all my pentax kit and go look at someone like cannon?

i am doing my own research but opinions and experience always a help

thanks guys

Alex

12-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The one major difference between them is that the K-5 can shoot 1080p/25 video, while the K-7 is limited at 720p/30. I also believe the K-5 does have an additional higher data-rate (quality) setting than the K-7. Neither model lets you shoot at 24fps, which is the cinematic framerate of choice, but you can do 25p on the K-5, which is closer. Apart from these differences, however, the K-5 and K-7 are pretty much the same functionally.

I personally purchased a T2i for its video capabilities. Unlike the K-7/K-5, the T2i has full manual video controls (can independently set ISO, aperture, shutter speed). Another plus was that the T2i had the ability to do 60p video (albeit at 720p resolution). For me, this meant I could do some slow-motion without the need to interpolate frames in post.

The T2i used H.264, which meant smaller file sizes and an easier workflow for me in FCP, compared to working with the MJPEG that the K-7/K-5 used. However, my workflow pretty much requires transcoding to ProRes 422 HQ in either format. It's the file size difference that does matter.

While it looks like I'm all for the T2i for video, I will say that the K-5 makes a great choice if you want to do video out in inclement weather. I'm in the process of converting my Pentax lens kit to WR or DA* equivalents so I can take video out in the rain.

In the end, I'll let a couple of my videos do the talking about what I was able to do with both cameras:

- Jason
12-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Well.. I can see how you might consider all this a problem but, if you brake it down a little, it all comes down to that jumping to another system is alot more expensive.. especially Canon since comparable lenses are often twice the price..
so then it comes down to choosing which camera to have K7 or K5 ..
I would think the video is alot better in the K5 and with the ISO performance blowing everything else out of the park might be a factor..
the K7, being cheaper now, might give you the impression that it is the way to go but; how much cheaper is the K7 new compared to a K5 new .. is the K5 150% more expensive or 200%? .. Is it not worth it .. would it be worth it in 2 years..
I would think that in the end, if you keep with Pentax as I recommend, you would want to or end up with a K5.. .. so save for what you want and think of the future
12-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let me ask you this, how much video are you shooting? I mean I am not sure but think you can only get something like 8-10min of video on a 4g card. (guessing from what I remember) I plan on shooting some things with K5 but really like my Flip Mino for long video of the family outings. The Flip is not good for zooming but again family things or in general I use it most and it fits in pants pocket so I almost always have it on me.

12-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot a lot of video with my K7. A lot more than I do with my camcorder. The issue is that I have the K7 with me all of the time, but I often don't have the camcorder. Once you learn to live within its constraints, it is very useable. Video tends to get noisy in dark situations, sound quality isn't very good from internal microphone (of course it isn't really from any camcorder), and it requires manual focusing.

Still, a lot depends on what you plan to do with the footage. Are you shooting family outings, or for something you want to do professionally? Currently the 5D is probably the best of the crop, when it comes to SLR video. The K5 will probably match the 7D, but not measure up to the 5D when it comes to video.
12-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I wanna throw the new sony A33/A55 in the mix, those things are on fire right now.
12-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
I wanna throw the new sony A33/A55 in the mix, those things are on fire right now.
Yes, but that pellicle mirror takes it back a step as a still camera. I like having video on my SLR, but not if it means that I am going to have decreased image quality in relation to other SLRs out there.
12-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Jason your videos are real great. Excellent choice of music and editing. Well done.

12-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just did a small video shoot with the K-x. A short head-and-shoulders clip.

I'm not a video expert, but I think IQ-wise, the camera acquitted itself well. Most modern cameras will do ok if you spend just a little bit of time thinking about lighting and throwing enough light at the scene so that the camera doesn't have to resort to high ISOs or slow shutter speeds. That's not always possible of course.

One of the bigger challenges of the shoot was the workflow. The camera was mounted on a tripod in the corner of the room so I had to squat to frame the shot and monitor the take. A flip-twist screen or a separate HDMI monitor would have made it much easier to do, and to have others review the takes and provide feedback. Likewise, the separate audio recording (via a Tascam DR-07) added a layer of complexity to the shoot and post-production.

Finally, the lack of full-manual control added a sense of "is the camera set properly?" to a situation where there's a lot going on and more time could be spent thinking about the actual shot than working around a camera limitation.

Remember, this was a K-x. A K-7 or K-5 would solve some of these issues - HDMI out, audio in, etc... , but it doesn't solve the manual control issue. Some have done a great job working around it, but since I'm new at this game, I'd rather have less balls in the air at once. For that reason, I'm taking a long, hard look at the Panasonic GH2 with a Novoflex M43 adaptor with aperture control so I can still use my Pentax glass.

Oh, is only they had a firmware update for manual control on the K-5...
12-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
Forum Member

Not sure if this helps or not, but here's a short live video of my cousin's band. Mind you, I'm much better at stills than video, and this was my first try. Ever.

I too wish there were manual controls available (this is the k7). I had no control over the lighting, so overall this is much too dark. This is mostly straight from the camera too, minor tweaks to cover some noise. Also, previously mentioned the k7 shoots 30fps, which bothered me at first. I did some checking around though, and I really don't think it's a hindrance.

Also, if you youtube "uncle jack" - it shows what is possible with the k7 if used very very well.