Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #1

Cold K-x?

Hello again, camera friends!
This Saturday, I'm going to watch my Michigan State Spartans play our archrival UofM in an OUTDOOR HOCKEY GAME (look it up, it's going to be amazing).

Needless to say, I want to take my Pentax K-x and my 50-200 lens with me to capture the moment.

Here's the catch: Michigan Stadium (where the game is being played) doesn't allow bags, purses, camera cases, or ANYTHING of the sort.

I've used it in the cold before, but never for several hours without reprieve. Will my camera and its lens be okay exposed to freezing temperatures over the course of a hockey game? If I tuck it into the front of my coat when I'm not using it, to protect it?

Any thoughts you have are helpful!

P.S. Believe it or not...this little camera and the zoom lens shoot some AWESOME hockey photos if you have the ISO set right and are familiar enough with the game to know when the best time is to shoot a picture.

12-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have no idea how cold it gets in Michigan but I think you will be ok as long as you do as you say and put it inside your coat when not using it. Your body heat should keep it relatively warm. Do they allow towels? You can also wrap it in a towel.

**If you do decide to bring it I would suggest that afterwards you leave it out or preferably put it in a sealed container with some sort of moisture remover (they sell these types of things at most grocery stores). I'm thinking because of the cold to warm to cold to warm that the camera will be facing, moisture might build up inside the camera and the above suggestions will help remove it. Good Luck!
12-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter

If it's snowing you're going to need to make a raincoat for it. Not hard to do, you just need a plastic bag and a rubber band.

The temperature range for the camera is officially 32F to 104F. The lcd may respond more slowly. Sudden temperature changes can cause condensation in the camera or lens. These all come from page 3 of the manual.
12-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #4

Wouldn't warming it under a jacket allow for condensation to form? I was just wondering?

12-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A couple weeks ago I was taking pictures outside with my K-x in Northern Nebraska with temperatures in the twenties for two or three hours at a time. The camera seemed to function normally. The enloops I was using functioned fine. It was my first time using the camera so I can't judge how well the batteries did compared to higher temperatures. I kept an extra set in my jeans pocket in case I needed them, but didn't. I've read that lithium batteries do better in cold. I shot in light falling dry snow as well. The lenses didn't fog until I came back inside. My breath would fog up the rear screen, but I just kept wiping it off with my glove as I took pictures.
Kent
12-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
krp
Veteran Member

Last week I left my K-x outside taking startrail pictures for about 3 hours when it was around 15 degrees. Just make sure you bring a plastic zip lock bag or something in your car so you can warm it up slowly after the game and avoid condensation.
12-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by deb7 Quote
doesn't allow bags, purses, camera cases
well, i don't see big difference (in terms of temperatures) between a camera case and a scarf. and security will allow you having two scarfs on you, won't they ?
12-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My friend from Buffalo (he lives here in Florida now) is a big hockey fan, and he told me about these kinds of games.

Isn't Michigan big into hockey anyway?

I heard they were doing games like this in cities where hockey wasn't that popular.

12-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Daniel_r Quote
Wouldn't warming it under a jacket allow for condensation to form? I was just wondering?
Not generally: your jacket would have to be pretty tight for that.

I'd suggest a set of good spare batteries in your pocket, though.
12-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Not generally: your jacket would have to be pretty tight for that.

I'd suggest a set of good spare batteries in your pocket, though.
Thanks for that info. I assumed the body heat built up under the jacket would cause it.
12-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Let your camera get cold. It wont hurt it.
Consider carrying a spare set of batteries in an inside pocket where they will be warm.
Cold batteries will be your only problem, and it may not be a problem at all.
If it's below freezing, you will want to wrap your camera when you take it into a warm place, either put it (and any lenses) into plastic bags, or wrap them in a towel, or even just zipping up your camera bag might be enough, until it warms up.
12-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 on putting the camera + lens in a ziplock bag before getting back to room temperature and allowing it to warm to avoid condensation

+1 taking a set of lithiums in case the nimhs (?) mind the cold (they probably will) or keeping another set in a pocket (=warm).

I would keep the camera exposed to the cold all the time instead of slipping it in/and out the jacket (where the air is warmer and moister possibly resulting in condensation), cold in itself will not hurt the camera or the optics.