Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2006, 05:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Secrets of K10D (Part 2 of 3) - The Bridge: A to D Convertor

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: The Secrets of the K10D (Part 2 of 3) - The Bridge: A to D Convertor

12-06-2006, 01:15 PM   #2

ty for that part, im sorry to se that people cant read, hence why they continue to ask questions..

but any way, how do you know what part is used when and where inside the k10d, id like that info myself
12-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Interesting! It seems Pentax has made several clever engineering decisions. I was a bit surprised at first that 22-bit data is actually not reaching the imaging engine, but after checking the data sheet and the NDX-2240 architecture I believe it is not needed at all: NDX-2240 can do almost all necessary pre-processing so 12-bit output should be (and K10D is showing that it indeed is) enough.

Waiting for the PRIME part now... :-)
12-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As much as we like to assume, nobody knows the lineage of the ADC. Mr Mabo has stated numerous times it's not NuCore... but a propriotory design. I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA one way or another. Could be Samsung fabbed, though I see no ADC's on their "silicon fab site". He also insisted the PRIME was also not NuCore. Any definitive answer (not speculation) is welcome. Well I guess speculation is fine

12-08-2006, 07:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are some food for further thoughts..

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: The maker of the "ADC" and "IPU" chips used in K10D

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
As much as we like to assume, nobody knows the lineage of the ADC. Mr Mabo has stated numerous times it's not NuCore... but a propriotory design. I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA one way or another. Could be Samsung fabbed, though I see no ADC's on their "silicon fab site". He also insisted the PRIME was also not NuCore. Any definitive answer (not speculation) is welcome. Well I guess speculation is fine
12-08-2006, 08:28 AM   #6

One question

I agree with you that I don't understand why this issue is so important that it must be debated repeatedly. No matter what the answer is I can't see what difference it makes.

Would the use of NuCore signal quality or not?

If it signals quality or it is standard NuCore then I am sure Pentax would mention it or had to mention it. If it is NuCore technology or somthing else but customized after Pentax specifications then it is perfectly OK that Pentax launches it as if it is the result of Pentax R & D and not the third party company.

An officially uncomfirmed rumour just because the chips used look alike???

Bikes look alike too because they serve the same purpose but they are not made by the same manufacturer. I think.
12-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Since chip packaging is for the most part standardized and many of them look very similar, your confirmation is not a positive confirmation but rather a confirmation that NuCore is an option.

However, you are showing that it is possible that Pentax electronics could be NuCore with high probability since in addition to identical IC packaging both chip specifications appears to be equivalent to Pentax technical specification. I believe there is not so many identically packaged 22-bit imaging engines available, so statistically speaking there are reasons to believe you are correct on this one (80% probable).
12-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
So why are there TWO a/d converters in the DPReview picture??

12-09-2006, 07:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbarnhart Quote
So why are there TWO a/d converters in the DPReview picture??
There are also two in the NuCore's Catelogue!!